Options
    Beef Jerky! Great snack.
  • babybird3
    Options
    egg whites!!!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    In regards to the DASH diet, it was initially developed for those with high blood pressure. In an article I read recently, it developed a plan, for females, that was only 1200 calories a day, once again depriving women of enough substantial calories in their daily diet and leading us to ultimate failure with our weight loss.

As far as protein intake, I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and strive to get about 25% of my calories from protein per day. I lift hard and work out hard, so I know my body needs the protein to recover and rebuild. I have read that, if you are into lifting and trying to add muscle, to eat between .75-1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight. However, that amount is not needed if you aren't a body builder.

As per webmd.. "Another way to count protein requirements is as a percentage of calories. The USDA's MyPyramid plan suggests that protein make up between 17% to 21% percent of total calories. The Institute of Medicine recommends we get at least 10% and no more than 35% of calories from protein."
    However, also according to webmd....
    "Recent studies suggest that protein makes a meal more satiating, which in turn could help people maintain a healthy weight. Indeed, a 2005 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that increasing protein from 15% to 30% of total calories -- and reducing fat from 35% to 20% of calories -- resulted in sustained weight loss."

As far as low calorie vegetarian sources of protein... Smart dogs, tofurky deli slices, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, egg whites, low fat string cheese, tempeh, peas/legumes. Unless you have an intolerance to gluten, you can use seitan as a meat substitute in a variety of dishes. A 3-oz. serving of seitan provides 31 g of protein, according to the Vegetarian Resource Group. One serving contains around 120 calories. Tofu provides 11 g of protein per 4-oz. serving and contains less than 90 calories. Tempeh, a meat replacement made from fermented soybeans, provides 18 g of protein and 196 calories per 100 grams.