diet drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You could flavor your water. I'm a Mio addict. :) You can add as little or as much flavor as you like. Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, and several tea companies (e.g. Arizona, Lipton) also have low-calorie, sugar free flavor options.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I just drink water, sometimes I'll add lemon. I do drink milk and tea (with creamer sometimes, but usually green tea plain) Personally I've never gotten hooked on soda, I knew it was just empty calories and was bad for my teeth and I already have dental issues, so I don't need anything to make it worse.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So my issue is this... I would LOVE to omit soda all together. I know it's not good for me and I would like to be healthier. I do not like to add powders to may water - I don't like it - I actually enjoy drinking water but I get tired of it. I'm not crazy about tea unless it has sweetener in it, which brings me back to the chemicals that I have been trying to omit. I tried giving up soda a couple years ago. Everyone kept saying that the headaches and tired feeling would go away after 3 (or so) weeks. Well - they didn't. I went 3 months and still no improvement. I was miserable. Clearly something with that kind of hold over my system can't be good for me, but I don't want to live like that.

Does anyone have any good methods of cutting out soda?
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i love my diet cokes! I try to drink only one can or two cans at tops a day. Im not a big water fan either.... but I do like crystal light so I will drink that. Drinking more water is one of my goals!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that the artificial sweeteners in the diet drinks are extremely costly for the liver to break down. The more time that your liver spends processing these complex compounds that the body cannot use, the LESS time/space/resources that your liver has to spend burning sugars, fats, toxins.

I don't know how much time/energy the liver has to waste breaking down artificial sweeteners, but as a rule it is generally best not to make your liver work harder than necessary.

and yes, acid on your teeth is bad. it is not the bacteria, per se, that cause decay, but the acid they secrete as they digest the sugars on your teeth. in the case of diet drinks you are not pouring sugar all over your teeth for the bacteria to eat and secrete acid - you are skipping the middle man by pouring acid all over your teeth, which softens the enamel, which wears away.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So - those of you who don't drink soda, what do you drink? I get tired of water all the time. I need something with flavor...

The more water you drink, the more you want.

Trust me, I went from drinking no water at all, to 2.5 litres of water a day.

I read somewhere on here that your ideal water intake is worked out by halving your weight in lbs, and it's that amount in oz.

We don't really use oz here (Ireland) so I converted it to ml and it works out at 2.25 litres, so I'm just above it.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you can shop at a walmart, they have clear america. It's a flavored carbonated water. It's on par with soda for cost, but has no calories or sodium (what I was really looking for). It's all fruit flavored, but they break up the same old stick if you're drinking water all the time.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Im really addicted to diet coke and here we dont have flavored waters. Also dont like tea very much.
    But thank you for all the replies :)
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    It's got to be the caffeine that you're addicted to right? It can't be the taste of the diet soda, those things are awful. You can get a cheap bottle of 200mg caffeine pills for about $5. Get a pill cutter, take half a pill every four hours upon waking and the last one no later than 6 hours before bed time. I've cut all soda and coffee out of my diet this way.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OK, I do not like soda or pop, whatever you call it, diet or otherwise. However i do like diet iced tea, and have about one a day, and also one or two DD iced coffees a day. Thats my only REAL sugar. Otherwise, i drink water. I dont really like it, but i get thirsty for it. the more you drink the more you want. good clue about volume, i like the formula - I think i need about 80 oz. Gosh that sounds like too much!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've always drank lots of fizzy drinks, and I tend to want flavoured drinks much more than water. Since I've started here I've been using diluted stuff like Mi-wadi to flavour my water - especially if it's mains water that still has a taste of chlorine/flouride, whatever they use to treat city water. I do love diet coke and I have coke zero here for when I'm drinking vodka on a night out. I'm in college so some amount of drinking on nights out is inevitable but I'm trying my best, and trying to use vodka and diet drinks as alternatives to beer etc. - and drinking vodka straight, hahah.

I don't know, the way I see it is to do the best you can and allow for at least a little leeway. I'd hate to totally deny myself and then crack, losing my progress. But that's just me. Gradual change seems to be overall more successful
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's got to be the caffeine that you're addicted to right? It can't be the taste of the diet soda, those things are awful. You can get a cheap bottle of 200mg caffeine pills for about $5. Get a pill cutter, take half a pill every four hours upon waking and the last one no later than 6 hours before bed time. I've cut all soda and coffee out of my diet this way.
    Believe it or not, i really like the flavor. I think that it is my "sweet" or even my cigarre (if i smoked).
    Maybe starting to dilute at first until i can get rid of that :)
  • dniapas
    dniapas Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 2 Liters a day of Diet A&W, my all time favorite soda. However, I haven't had a single soda since December 25, 2010, and I feel great. I think that not drinking soda has contributed greatly to not just losing the weight, but in keeping it off.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I RARELY drink diet anything. If I'm going to have pop I'm going to have POP. Not fake pop. :)

I just make sure to prepare my meals for the day around my pop so I can have my coke. Love coke. Argh... it's like coffee to me.