How much fat?

Options
I was just wondering how many grams of fat everyone eats in a given day. Mine always runs jbetween 10 and 20 grams. Is this good? Too low?

Replies

• AndreaMMil
    Options
    I was just wondering how many grams of fat everyone eats in a given day. Mine always runs jbetween 10 and 20 grams. Is this good? Too low?
  • nagem650
    Options
    i don't know if thats good but i went way over today. your suppose to have around 40 so im guessing its better to be lower
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have my percentages set to 40% carb 30%protein and 30%fat. Based on a 1200 calorie diet that's 40grams of fat a day. Most health associations and organizations recommend that you get no more than 30% of your calories from fat.

This is from an article I just read...

Fats and oils are a concentrated source of energy and are necessary for good health and fitness. These are some of the side effects that can occur when too much fat is trimmed from the diet:

- hair can fall out faster than fleas off of a turkey's back;
    - if one is lucky and manages to keep their hair, odds are that it will lose luster and sheen;
    - nails can become so brittle, or so hard and curly that they can be used as next year's Christmas ribbon;
    - without fat, vital organs will lack cushion;

Fats make up part of all body cells, help us maintain body temperature, and even delay hunger pangs.

Fats in the form of monounsaturated fat help raise levels of protective HDL cholesterol. Some of the foods that are a good source for monounsaturated fat are the almond and the avocado.

Polyunsaturated fat is valued for its ability to help lower total cholesterol. Safflower oil has the highest amount of polyunsaturated fat of all the common varieties of oil.
  • cottrell22
    Options
    Also if you get too little fat in your diet you can become deficient in vitamins A, D, E, and K, because they are fat-soluble. Meaning they get carried through your body by fat. One good reason to add healthy fat to a salad (like avocado, olive oil, nuts). Just don't add a huge amount. In my nutrition class they say to add a little healthy fat to each meal because it helps your body absorb those certain vitamins. But because foods with a lot of fat are high in calories you don't need to add too much of them. Fat is also important for the reasons Jessneill listed. A healthy range for the amount of fat is between 20-35% of your total daily calories. If anyone gets a chance to take a nutrition course I would highly recommend it! I learned a lot! Hope this helped.
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories and try to stay at 40 grams of fat, a little under on a good day. I am now eating 15 almonds a day with my afternoon snack that provides 9 grams of "good fat" I guess. I am still learning all of this stuff. I know I am doing so much better than a month and a half ago.
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    so less that 20 grams is bad. ok, maybe i'll drink 2% instead of skim milk and throw in a couple almonds. thanks everybody!
  • cottrell22
    Options
    Almonds are a great choice to add some healthy fat!! :happy: