Anyone want to give up candy/chocolate with me?

Options
TMI ahead...

I suffer from IBS. It is 100 times better if I can manage to stay away from candy/baked sweets/chocolate. I know I NEED to give it up but it is extremely difficult. Beyond difficult for me.

I spent from 11pm-3am in the bathroom off and on last night, managed to sleep until 630...and have been back in the bathroom countless times for the last hour. It is bad.

I know this is from cadbury mini-eggs, brownies, skittles, etc....not all at once mind you...but together over the course of a few days. They all combined in my gut and cause me epic issues.

I know this in my head. I understand that sometimes it can cause problems (and by sometimes I mean nearly always). The problem is the delay in stomach upset with the sweets. I had sweets for 3-4 days with no issue. It always starts out the same. I will just have a few of X, see how it goes. That goes fine, because it isn't a lot, however it makes me want MORE...so I eat more. Then over the course of those days I am building up this extreme sugar bomb that doesn't go over well.

So what I am looking for is a person or a few people to help support each other in giving up sweets/chocolate. Some people to read each others diaries and make sure they are following this. Ideally some people that I can talk to when all I want is a handful of chocolate chips or a bag of skittles.

Any takers? Anyone?

Replies

• VLaaber
    VLaaber Posts: 30
    Options
    I gave up sweets for Lent (no offense to those with other religious views), so far its been a total killer! I'm allowing myself a bit of frozen yogurt here and there other than that nothing, it isn't easy at all. If you need support, I'm here. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets for Lent (no offense to those with other religious views), so far its been a total killer! I'm allowing myself a bit of frozen yogurt here and there other than that nothing, it isn't easy at all. If you need support, I'm here. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Would love to have you join me. Giving it up is hard, no matter the reason!
  • KBUnleashed
    KBUnleashed Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I, too, have IBS and know exactly what you are talking about. It's easy for me to give up sweets however my weakness is soda (although I'm completely free 5 days today) and carbs, which both make my IBS go crazy! I know how you feel. Giving them up is very hard to do but you can replace them with some healthier options and still get that "sweets" craving satisfied!

And, yes, I'm in! I know I will need help trying to stay away from breads (oh, I LOVE all different bread) and soda (not craving it as much now that I haven't had any though). Stay strong, we can do this!
  • jenn5686
    jenn5686 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a candy addict. There have been times in the past I replaced meals with candy LOL At my desk at work I used to always keep a candy dish with pretzel m&m's in it. I had to give up candy when I decided to go low carb. I haven't had any in over 2 weeks and to be honest I rarely even crave it any more. I keep some low sugar frozen yogurt at home if I have a sweet tooth I'll have a few spoonfulls, or just eat fruit.

Actually I won't lie the other night my bf asked me to bake chocolate chip cookies for him and I had 1. I remember telling him that I wish this cookie could last forever, haha, but that 1 cookie satisfied that craving and fit in to my daily calories / carbs, so I didn't have remorse!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I gave up candy and baked goods for Lent. Baked goods are especially difficult to give up. (I LOVE cookies, donuts, cake!) I've been doing this for about 10 years now. The first week or two is extremely difficult - I won't lie. I have been in a fog for the last week and a half. (It's amazing how that can affect you!) But, going cold turkey is the only way I can do it and I actually look forward to this time of year. Oh, and my skin looks absolutely fabulous come Easter :)

This year I am going to try and continue without even after Lent.

Take it day by day. It does get easier.

Good luck to you!
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    Would it be all right if I friended you all?
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    I am a candy addict. There have been times in the past I replaced meals with candy LOL At my desk at work I used to always keep a candy dish with pretzel m&m's in it.

I am convinced pretzel M&M's are the most evil thing ever. They are sweet, chocolate, AND salty...with a crunch. I am BAD with those. Really bad.

I am going to "allow" myself like cinnamon and/or chocolate chex cereal...and instant oatmeal because those are staples I eat a LOT of plus they have vitamins like iron that I could really benefit from.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I was a true bona fide sugar JUNKIE. I was helpless around it. If there was a bag of skittles in front of me (my fave), i couldn't just eat a few, I had to eat the whole bag. Licorice. Chocolate. Anything sweet, it was going to go into my mouth! It was brutal.

Two weeks ago I started doing something called "The Hormone Diet". A friend told me about it and I decided to give it a try. The first part of it requires a "cleanse/detox", which meant giving up caffeine, alcohol, and sugar, as well as some other foods as well (mostly those food that can cause allergic or inflammatory reactions in people, like dairy and wheat).

I honestly had no problems ditching the daily coffee, but detoxing off the sugar??? It was HARD.

BUT!

After 4 days, I felt AMAZING. I have energy and I feel great! I wake up every morning now before my alarm and feel good. I feel clean and strong and healthy, which makes me proud.

I'd like to say it has been totally easy since, but yesterday I had a work meeting and was surrounded by plates of brownies and nanaimo bars and it was tough...

So I absolutely understand the need for support!!! I'm here if you need me!!! :flowerforyou:
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    Soda, candy, chocolate, cupcakes anything sweet (except fruits) are my weaknesses. I also sometimes replace meals with candy, oh gummy yummy bears. I have to give it up, since i've been diagnosed with prediabetes, and its hard! So far been soda free for 3 days, I dont miss it one bit. This morning for breakfast, I ate a serving of oatmeal and didnt put any sugar, but I added nuts. It was not bad at all.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I reduced mine a whole lot but I still eat a small piece as a treat every now and then.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any this year.

The longer it goes the easier it is - simply because I am happy I have gone two months and I'm not going to spoil that with one chocolate bar - same for McDonalds and chips too.

Start off by only accepting chocolate you are given. If someone gives you a chocolate bar write on todays date with a marker and throw it in a draw. In a weeks time you see it and think - Wow! I've cone a week - I'm not eating that - and give it back to the person who forced it on you

Works fo me
  • veganbabe133
    veganbabe133 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am totally ready to give up chocolate, candy, baked sweets, you name it. just because im a vegan does not mean I don't take every chance I can to devour cake. damn.
  • Andie_loops
    Options
    Growing up i was not particularly taken by candy or chocolate didnt care much for it to be honest, after i had a huge fall out with my dad i picked up on the goodness that is twix and snickers bars (i guess thats partly how i gained a lot of weight lol) and my job does not help I have to keep the candy and chocolates stocked for my servers!!!

So for lent (no offense to any other religious views) i gave it all up!! no candy, chocolate bars, cupcakes, cakes, sodas anything that gives me that ooey feeling is no more!! I would appreciate some help and encouragement!! =)) and good luck!!
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    I haven't had any this year.

The longer it goes the easier it is - simply because I am happy I have gone two months and I'm not going to spoil that with one chocolate bar - same for McDonalds and chips too.

Start off by only accepting chocolate you are given. If someone gives you a chocolate bar write on todays date with a marker and throw it in a draw. In a weeks time you see it and think - Wow! I've cone a week - I'm not eating that - and give it back to the person who forced it on you

Works fo me

That is a good strategy. Makes sense.

McDs wasn't bad for me at all. I ate there ALL the time when I was pregnant with my first...but I haven't even gone to a McDs since he was born...it has been almost 6 years.

I also quit soda almost 3 years ago...that was hard too but I did it.

For whatever reason sweets are incredibly difficult for me to kick!
  • jenn5686
    jenn5686 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a candy addict. There have been times in the past I replaced meals with candy LOL At my desk at work I used to always keep a candy dish with pretzel m&m's in it.

I am convinced pretzel M&M's are the most evil thing ever. They are sweet, chocolate, AND salty...with a crunch. I am BAD with those. Really bad.

I am going to "allow" myself like cinnamon and/or chocolate chex cereal...and instant oatmeal because those are staples I eat a LOT of plus they have vitamins like iron that I could really benefit from.

Oh totally! I hit my breaking point last month when the big bags of them were on sale for 2 / $5 at shoprite and I finished both bags within a week.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options

Oh totally! I hit my breaking point last month when the big bags of them were on sale for 2 / $5 at shoprite and I finished both bags within a week.

Sales are the WORST...and you get the big bag and think "I can ration this out, it will be okay."

It isn't ever okay.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I gave up candy bars, cake, ice cream, and shakes for 2012. So far, so good. I gave up McDonald's for 2011...wasn't easy (esp. since it's right next door to my workplace and right down the road from my house!), BUT it did make a BIG difference in my weight loss. Wish I would have known about MFP last year...I probably would have lost even more!!
  • Smilejoelle1
    Smilejoelle1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd do it, but... I might suffer a heart attack.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    no thanks, sorry.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating sweets/biscuits/cakes etc at the start of this week. This is not for religious regions, but because I started weight training this week and am looking to eat cleaner. I doubt that I will be perfect, but am happy to accept like minded friends. I keep my diary open.