Savannah, Georgia?

Options
AmyBlu12
AmyBlu12 Posts: 23 Member
Hi Ya'll! (I'm from Long Island and might be saying that real soon!)

My husband put in a transfer with the post office to go down to Georgia. New York is too expensive. We have 3 kids and a house that we work our *kitten* off for and we still struggle. Bottom line: We want a better life for our kids. We originally were looking into Charlotte, NC area, but there are no openings there. He noticed one day an opening in Statesboro, GA and I said just put in for it. Why not?

We looked at the area online and researched the schools. We like Guyton and the school district is Effingham County.

We know NOBODY in GA and are looking to live in a community. How do you like living in Georgia? Know anything about the schools? We won't hear until next week if he gets the transfer, but if he does we will be moving down there this summer.

Any comments at all (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    My brother lived in Savannah for a while. Lovely to visit, but I'd never want to live there. Just far too humid for me. I did appreciate the open container rules [as long as it is in a plastic cup, it's fair game--most bars even have solo cup dispenser by the door for a roadie].

I must be the only person I know who didn't like The Dark Knight and my brother said, "Did you think Joker was kind of lame? Check this!" and he took me to a street where homeless people dressed up as way more terrifying clowns than Heath Ledger ever could have been.

Obviously it is a gorgeous city. You can thank its cowardice for General Sherman not burning it to the ground. A lot of good food options.

Big hipster scene with the art school down there, but nowhere near what Brooklyn hosts. I'm not suggesting that is a pro or a con [but it's probably a con].

Most of the locals hate the Deen family.
    -wtk
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I loved Georgia and still do. However I lived in the northeast corner of the state surrounded by mountains and small towns so it was a nature lover's dream.

I've been to Savannah a few times and I wouldn't suggest living there either. The last trip there, I spent a week and most of that was spent exploring out lying areas and not the city itself. It's great to visit for a day or two maybe but then you're ready to hit the road out of there. Tybee Island isn't too bad if you like living by the ocean. You get a real 'community' feel there.

Parts of Savannah are lovely but most of the area is pretty unattractive and give that 'wrong side of the tracks' feel. If you do end up moving there, there's plenty of nice places to eat. The numerous squares are nice to stroll around, a few lovely (architectually speaking) churches are in the area, River Street is nice (better or worse at night depending on if you're a drinker and / or don't mind drunks). I enjoyed a few local shops there as well and let's face it, there's always the ocean not too far away for an escape. Vinnie Van Go Go's Pizza was great, great prices too.

Georgia heat might take a little getting used to and the mosquitos. If you like old cemeteries, I suggest making a trip out to Bonaventure if you do indeed move in the Savannah area. I spent an entire day there and it far exceeded the time I spent in downtown Savannah.