Too much animal protein / dairy in my diet??

Options
My employer offers a wellness screening where we get blood tests done and analyzed. I just had my results meeting with the nurse. With my recent 30 lb weight loss, healthier eating, and 6 days/wk exercising, my numbers were great and I'm quite healthy.

The one thing she told me was to eat less dairy and animal proteins. She said something about it increasing the acidity of my blood, and to neutralize that, my blood is actually pulling calcium from my bones which can lead to osteoporosis. She also said that there is a higher incidence of cancer rates among people who eat a lot of dairy and animal proteins.

Her advice was to "eat vegan three days a week".

I tend to react to this type of thing with a healthy skepticism, and so I am now doing a bit of my own research. I wanted to check in here and see if anyone had heard of these claims or has anything to say about their validity. I am very much of the "everything in moderation" mentality. I do love my dairy though - I eat a few servings of cheese daily, some milk and yogurt throughout the week, and usually meat once or twice a day. (Not a ton of red meat, but I certainly do eat it.)

Truthfully, my initial reaction is to disregard it because it seems a bit alarmist to me, and all of my metrics came back terrific. (The only "abnormal" reading was that my cholesterol was too low at 114! I'll take that problem any day!)

Any thoughts?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is if your metrics came back that good, disregard what has been said. You are healthy and getting healthier, unless this nurse is specially trained, she is no expert in nutrition. Just my opinion though.
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    People love to push their "pet" dietary topic. I firmly believe that what works for one person may not work for another...only you can judge how you feel with the way you are eating, and if all your indicators are good that is a good sign you are doing something right!

As for dairy, there is a lot of research out there that lead me to avoid it for the most part. I used to drink a lot of skim milk and yogurt but I've determined FOR ME that dairy is not great. Our modern system make the whole process of dairy quite unlike what is used to be. The doctor whose advice I find to be the best/most balanced (Dr. Walter Willet of Harvard Nutrition school) has presented plenty of evidence for me. He also says that a serving or two a day is not going to hurt you too much. (I do love cheese!).

I am not sure how much animal protein you are eating, but there are plenty of people that feel their best on a high protein diet, it's just important that you are also getting lots of good carbs in through fruit and vegetable sources. And that the sources of your animal protein are good (hopefully organic, grass fed beef, etc.).

And I hope she congratulated you on your 30# loss! Awesome!!!!!

So I'd say if you feel good, are eating lots of fruits and veggies in addition to your animal protein, and are eating high quality foods and feel good, keep doing what you are doing! You can always experiment with your body and see how you feel tweaking you diet, no one says you have to do it forever.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If your metrics are all good, I'd disregard it.

My husbands company does wellness screenings and the "nurses" that give you your results are idiots. I had a lady give me a big speech on how I needed to cut down on my meat intake (for reasons other than yours). She went on and on. When I explained to her that I was a vegetarian, she just stared at me.

Anywho..... :) Do the research yourself and see what you think. Sounds like your #'s are great from what you've said.

With all that said, it is true that there are higher rates of cancer among those that consume a lot of animal fat. It's not good for our bodies.
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    I think instead of telling you to eat less animal proteins and milk, she should have told you to eat more calcium. So ask your doctor about adding a calcium supplement.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd ask my doc about this...sounds like she was pushing her opinion and lifestyle onto you...also ask about a bone density test to determine if you need calcium supplements
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think instead of telling you to eat less animal proteins and milk, she should have told you to eat more calcium. So ask your doctor about adding a calcium supplement.

Great Answer! I agree.... talk to your Dr about Calcium Supplements!! :)
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    If you're happy with the numbers and your eating habbits just add a calcium suppliment if you're worried about it. Personally, I would talk to my doctor and see what they recomend as your doctor will have a more complete picture of you're health. But congrats on the good screening! Keep it up!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As a person having been to the ER 4 times over 8 years passing kidney stones, starting at age 31, I can testify to the truth of what you have been told. The stones form due to acidity and I was told to limit my protein to less than 15% and my sodium to less than 1500 mg. I have done both for the past 2 years, and the stones I had remaining to pass dropped from 7, to 2. So not only were the numbers dropping, I was not creating new ones! To accomplish this, I switched to eating vegan 1-1/2 years ago because it was almost impossible to limit protein to that amount when eating meat/dairy. Dairy I cut because of the sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol. I think it is good advice for you to abstain from meat/dairy just three days a week. It is excellent for your body and health.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Thanks -- not a bad idea. I would note that her advice regarding calcium had nothing to do with any of my screening results, but just because I happen to eat a lot of animal proteins. I personally have not ever worried about my calcium level and I'm not sure I'm worried about it now. That's one of the things that kind of made me skeptical about her advice, because none of it was derived from any test results, only from the form where I filled out how many servings of each type of food I ate.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Is she a nutritionist at best? Or a dietician next best? If so listen to her. If not, nod politely and ignore her BUT don't ignore your question. Seek out a qualitifed nutritionist for a consult. You've worked this hard to get your body in tip-top shape. To keep it there you want to fuel it properly and know that you are.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    There is a correlation between red meat and several types of cancer, but cause does not seem to have been conclusively proven.

In a similar vein, high protein consumption is associated with bone calcium loss and some cancer.

Usually, when someone makes an assertion about the appropriateness of a diet, I head to Google Scholar and poke around.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to acidity and some are not, so for some people that change in diet is necessary, and for others, high-protein diets present no issues. It is no different than some people having to eat gluten-free due to sensitivity. It is kind of discouraging to hear a "health professional" trying to push that dietary change on you when you display no symptoms that indicate the change is needed.
  • Cat_296
    Cat_296 Posts: 40
    Options
    <>
  • Clarity22
    Clarity22 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think it's wonderful to hear that a doctor actually made this suggestion. usually MDs will push a pill or offer a supplement and never consider diet or nutrition. what she suggested is factual: too much animal protein can rob your body of calcium and diminish your alkaline state. supplements aren't the answer because you will still not absorb enough of the mineral to offset your deficit. it's healthy to be skeptic but just as healthy to have an open mind to a new paradigm. I've been doing research on this topic for months and everything I've learned is supported in what your doctor told you. look up some of this stuff:

the documentary 'Forks Over Knives'
    the documentary 'Food Matters'
    Dr. Neal Barnard.
    Rockin' Wellness (raw foods)

if you send me your email address I'll be happy to send you more info...but yes, keep your mind and heart open to this kind of change. your Dr is steering you in the direction of optimum health!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My diet sounds similar to yours and my numbers (like yours) are in much better shape! If you're worried about it, maybe sub almond milk for regular milk every once in a while ... I personally only like it in smoothies, but it's good for you and super low cal!

I also agree with the calcium supplement. I could NEVER go vegan 3 days/week.
  • Singsince2
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, but I think she is on to something. Take a chance to watch the documentary "Knives Over Forks". If you have Netflix, it is available to play instantly. The scientific studies in there indicate she is 100% correct. I have been eating all plant based foods since I saw it..... and man do I feel great!!!! Also, I have been able to meet all my protein and calcium requirements on MFP. I would seriously investigate further on this subject. Good luck!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

the documentary 'Forks Over Knives'
    the documentary 'Food Matters'
    Dr. Neal Barnard.
    Rockin' Wellness (raw foods)

Also
    Thrive The Vegan Nutritional Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life by Brendan Brazier
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You don't want cholesterol that's too low. Cholesterol is very, very important in the body. I'd be trying to get that number up (doctors only know what the statin salesmen tell them). There is no connection with saturated fat and cholesterol and no connection with cholesterol and heart disease. Therefore saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease. The body makes much, much more cholesterol than we eat.

Do not listen to her. We became human eating animal protein. We became an amazing species eating animal meat. We are made of meat, we eat meat. It's complete essential amino acids (plants and grains do not have this. I would have to eat 4 bowls of oatmeal to get the protein from 4oz of meat and it isn't even complete protein).

Google Cholesterol Myths and start reading. There are a number of books you can get, too, that breakdown the studies done over the years (on populations and the statin drug trials - what we're told and the actual evidence are not the same) and how cholesterol and saturated fat came to be "evil". Neither are. In fact the excess carbs that don't get used immediately after we eat them get converted to saturated fat and stored. One of my Favorites is called The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcolm Kendrick.

You just keep doing what you're doing. You need the protein to protect your muscles from the stresses of exercise. There's a fine line between training hard and over training.

I've been eating mostly protein and fat for almost a year and I feel amazing, my energy is sky high, and I am now 109.4lbs. I haven't seen this number since long before puberty and I'm 41yrs. I am maintaining without counting calories, logging foods, doing tons of "chronic cardio" or portion control. I have a flat belly for the first time in my life.

ONE OTHER BOOK: THE VEGETARIAN MYTH
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You don't want cholesterol that's too low. Cholesterol is very, very important in the body. I'd be trying to get that number up (doctors only know what the statin salesmen tell them). There is no connection with saturated fat and cholesterol and no connection with cholesterol and heart disease. Therefore saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease. The body makes much, much more cholesterol than we eat.

Thanks -- and to be fair to this nurse, she did tell me that *too* low of cholesterol is not a good thing -- but she said generally you worry about that when it dips below 100. The "normal" range for this test was 120-199, so I was just a hair below at 114. I've always had relatively low cholesterol, I'm genetically blessed that way, and my HDL is high, so I feel pretty good about it.
  • jude7701
    jude7701 Posts: 23
    Options
    Americans as a whole eat more animal protein than they need... But it isn't easy to go Vegan, either. My cholesterol is the same as yours, 114, down from 135. But my HDL is 75, which is good. Here is what I found works for me:
    I eat "Vegan" more days than not... this is partially driven by my cholesterol, and partially driven by the fact that I am trying to lose weight-
    I eat "vegan" at least 2 meals a day. I find that I cannot go completely vegan, or I get weak. I tried- and sometimes I will go a week without eating meat or animal products, but eventually, it catches up with me. A friend of mine is completely vegan, BUT (she is a dance and yoga instructor) when she has tons of classes, or competitions, even she ends up eating red meat, because your body just hits bottom. However, she eats meat once every two months, maybe.
    I guess ,bottom line, do what makes you feel good and healthy. If excluding some meat from your diet helps, go for it! Or you can just eat half the meat you would normally eat- Good luck! =)