How "big" is "too big" for a bikini?

Options

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    if you ask anyone in a country OTHER than the US, there is not a "too big" for a bikini

well said!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Post pics of yourself in a bikini so we can evaluate.

lol....smart guy here!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    It depends. If you feel comfortable and confident in a bikini, you're going to look fabulous. If you're not comfortable and confident, you're probably not going to look good (unless you're a bikini model). Also, fit is SO important. A good fitting bikini that flatters your body type can work for almost anybody. I'm thicker in the hips and thighs, and the way my bottoms fit makes a huge difference. A too-small bottom or one that's not a good "shape" for me easily makes me look 10 lbs. heavier.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Ok... so the "PC" answer is: if you are comfortable in it, then you are good... however my honest answer is this:
    Take a good friend, an HONEST friend, with you shopping for one. Honestly many body types can pull off a bikini if it's the right one for their body. Get an "outside" opinion from that friend once you find one worth showing them. I have seen others in a bikini that was sooooo not meant for them, but then again, could see someone a bit bigger who totally rocked it - it's all on the make and how it contours you. Sometimes when you have that 2nd set of eyes there to confirm it, knowing they are honest eyes, it also helps your confidence before your public debut :) This is what I advised to another friend, a RL friend, and she thanked me, so hoping it helps
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    personally i would say that if your bmi says you are overweight, you should not wear one. or if you are above size 16. Thats just my opinion.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you feel about yourself. I'm 5'11 and I like all my other parts, but I hate my stomach so I wouldn't feel comfortable in a bikini. My sister is 5'11 also and is 160 pounds all muscle and looks great in a bikini but she's a size 8. My other friend is 5'11 and weighs 190, size 16, but she has a larger frame and looks great. Her stomach is flat and she just has a lot of boobs and butt, but still looks great.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If YOU want to wear a bikini and YOU like how you look in it, then YOU should wear one. If others don't agree they don't have to look.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Post pics of yourself in a bikini so we can evaluate.

Cunning plan is cunning :laugh:
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    I'm also 5'5 and have a medium to large frame. I got a butt but no really boobs to speak off. I agree with everyone else, find something that makes you feel comfortable and ROCK IT!!!!!

I agree with this..... me: medium/large frame 5' 2"... big butt, small breast..i think size doesnt matter in a binkin..more like tone texture.....because i've seen some large large women in binikins but no cellulite or flabby stomachs and they look fine.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    if you ask anyone in a country OTHER than the US, there is not a "too big" for a bikini

THIS! When I went to the DR, ALL SIZES were in bikinis. It is ALL about how you feel. EFF everyone else.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Screw everyone else's opinions. Wear what YOU are comfortable in. Personally, I've never worn a two piece in my life. When I get to a point where I am comfortable baring the belly, you better believe I will be in one.
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have never worn one in my entire life. I am "thinking" of wearing one this summer. I just "squeezed" into my size 8 jeans, lol. A particular size is not what I look at. For me, personally, it's whether or not there will be big rolls hanging out everywhere. :)
    This! Although when I go to to the beach, I am so surprised to see some of the people, young and old with bikinis. I wish I had their mirrors. I can't imagine what they see when they look at themselves?

Boy isn't THAT the truth!! I stay away from bikinis more due to stretch marks than my body size. One trip to the beach and I'm convinced if "they" can wear one then so can I! ;)
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    NO Such thing.
    its what you feel good in.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly about confidence and getting something that fits you well. I.e. if the top barely covers you and the bottom is cutting into your skin, it's not going to look as good as one that's more appropriate for your body shape. When you go to the beach you will see ALL shapes and sizes wearing all different types of swimsuits, so you're really not going to stick out unless what you're wearing doesn't fit you well IMO.

I do think you will feel more comfortable in it the more *fit* that you are - not necessarily a particular size that you have to be for it to be acceptable, but the more fit you are the better it will look on you. Small and flabby is pretty similar to big and flabby in a bikini. Bigger and fit (not flabby) can often look better in a bikini than small and flabby. (try comparing a thin out-of-shape person in a bikini to a plus-size beautiful model in a magazine in a bikini - that's the kind of difference I'm talking about) So if it were me and I was *really* determined to wear a bikini this summer, I'd work mostly on fitness and tightening up my body and not stress too much over the actual number size. Get thee to the gym, lift some weights and do some squats and lunges and stuff and you'll look hot in that bikini even if you're not a size 2. Plus if you are appreciating your body for what it is able to do, you won't be so self-conscious about your size and you'll be able to rock it. ;-)

Personally I'm not going to be in a bikini regardless of how fit I am b/c I am very self-conscious about my stretched-out skin from my pregnancies, but I'm seriously considering shopping for one of those one-piece suits that has the cut-out sides (kind of looks like a 2-piece connected by a strip of fabric down the torso). I think I might be able to rock one of those and not be so anxious about my stomach.....
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I would just say whatever you feel best at. I definitely see people who should NOT be wearing one, but most of them are like sizes 14 and up. But, if they are confident, go them!

I see a ton of "skinny fat" girls who should not be wearing bikinis and they are nowhere near a size 14. And the truth is...I would rather see a sexy, toned size 16 girl in a bikini that fits well than a sloppy size 8 who is wearing something she managed to squeeze into...:flowerforyou:
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think the more urgent concern is where you are going to wear the bikini. If it's anywhere other than the beach or pool, then size probably isn't even an issue.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I own 3 or 4. On some days one will not fit well but the other ones will. What matters the most is to have a bikini (and clothes in general) that fits well, no matter what size we are.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think the more urgent concern is where you are going to wear the bikini. If it's anywhere other than the beach or pool, then size probably isn't even an issue.

LMAO yeah no bikinis at the grocery store (unless it's on the beach LOL).
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmulleni - depends on where you are planning to where it.

For me it isn't necessarily how big you are, but how firm you are and how well you can contain what you have. Rolls and other bits sticking out here and there need to be confined. :D I personally am shy of the stomach bearing because of ridiculous stretch marks from an 11 lb baby. People tell me to just wear them proudly, but....maybe this year.
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" & weigh 220lbs currently and I live in Orlando, FL. I totally wear a bikini. I opted for the "shorts" version because I feel more comfortable, personally. I don't hate on anyone who has the balls to expose themselves and be more vulnerable to criticism for the sake of their own desires.

There's a line from "The Invitiation" by Oriah Mountain Dreamer that seems appropriate:

"I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy."

Just do you, boo! You're beautiful.

P.S. I'll be at the beach TOMORROW working on this tan lol.