Going from 500 cal to 250 cal deficit

Options
Can someone explain to me why it is important to make this switch? Trying to wrap my head around it. I am starting to see the weight loss and waist size loss slowing down and I believe its time to switch to .5 pound a week weight loss opposed to 1 lb a week.

I also am about to switch from lifting heavy to more lighter weights with higher reps to bring out the muscle definition, Im talking sets of 24, 20, 16, and 12 at a low weight to complete these sets.

Can someone provide some input?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If you were losing 1 pound per week and now you only want to lose 1/2 pound per week, you need more calories. Am I not understanding your question? Maybe rephrase, it's not making sense to me.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Right I just set my profile on my account to .5 lbs and it adjusted my calories already for a bit more. My question is if you can explain the concept behind why the body needs less of a deficit as you get nearer your maintenance weight?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why you would want to switch from lifting heaver to lighter...that makes absolutely no sense and is usually the other way around. Once you have started lifting heavy you are creating muscle definition, so switching to sets of 20 reps will do nothing for you.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have always been under the impression that lighter weight with higher reps brings out definition whereas heavy weights with lower reps is what bulks you up. Im going to have to look into that
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I also am about to switch from lifting heavy to more lighter weights with higher reps to bring out the muscle definition, Im talking sets of 24, 20, 16, and 12 at a low weight to complete these sets.

This bit makes no sense and is complete myth. More heavy weights, more, more and heavier, heavier!!
  • btdublin
    Options
    Definition is from BF% loss only. Lose the last of your fat. Get below 10% BF.

Well done tho, great job so far.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    From what I've read the calorie shift is to preserve as much lean body mass (muscle mostly) during the weight loss. I'm in the exact same boat right now, I'm within 10 lbs of my goal and everyone says to move from my high deficit to a 250 cal deficit. I'm terrified of it though, it's a mental thing in my case.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Women should NOT be below 10%!! Please do not that this advice! 10-12% BF is essential for a woman and less than that for any extended period of time can actually be detrimental to your health.
  • btdublin
    Options

Women should NOT be below 10%!! Please do not that this advice! 10-12% BF is essential for a woman and less than that for any extended period of time can actually be detrimental to your health.

OP is a MAN!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I have always been under the impression that lighter weight with higher reps brings out definition whereas heavy weights with lower reps is what bulks you up. Im going to have to look into that

This is a myth. Keep lifting heavy and eat the higher calories. I am about 8/9 pounds from my goal and the focus on lifting and eating more food has helped me slim down even though the scale is moving slowly. In just a few weeks I went from fitting into some pants perfectly to having the same pants falling off now and I have only lost a pound or so. Body recomposition.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Right I just set my profile on my account to .5 lbs and it adjusted my calories already for a bit more. My question is if you can explain the concept behind why the body needs less of a deficit as you get nearer your maintenance weight?

The concept is as follows: The 500 deficit was designed, based on your weight, gender, activity level, etc., to make you lose 1 pound per week. If you continue with a deficit of 500 per week you will continue to lose 1 pound per week. You are apparently not wanting to lose weight as quickly at this point, so you need to reduce that deficit.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Omg!! I am so sorry! I am on my phone, saw the tiny pic wih kids and didn't even zoom in... So sorry! And rude I me to assume! Then yeah, get below 10% :)

OP is a MAN!