What about the 30 day shred???

Options
I just ordered the 30 day shred online yesterday and should be receiving it in a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone has used this. Is it very difficult to do? What kind of results did you get? Do you get good results with the recommended 3 to 5 lbs weights? How are you supposed to know how many calories you burn doing an exercise like this? And wouldn't it change by level? If you don't have 30lbs to lose, are you likely to still lose weight?

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i used it in dec and i am re doing it now. I didn't get huge results from it, no lbs 1 inch off my waits and 2 off my hips and belly. I found it hard in the beginning as i was so out of shape. I still can't do push ups,lol... i was very spore for the 1 st week but i pushed through it! It can be hard on the knees, so level 2 i have to modify some exercises to ease the pain in my knees. i started with 3lbs weights and i just bought 5lbs yesterday, so i hope i will start getting results this time around. so far i am on day 18 and no results at all this time around! I also have a heart rate monitor and i burn anywhere from 168-220 calories ( goes up with each level on how harder it is on me), i am 5ft 2 inches and about 132 lbs... i found mfp's numbers were too high. hope some of this info helps you.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but I've seen a quite a few people on here post great results. Most of the time they only lose a couple pounds but there is a noticeable difference in fat loss.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    i used it in dec and i am re doing it now. I didn't get huge results from it, no lbs 1 inch off my waits and 2 off my hips and belly. I found it hard in the beginning as i was so out of shape. I still can't do push ups,lol... i was very spore for the 1 st week but i pushed through it! It can be hard on the knees, so level 2 i have to modify some exercises to ease the pain in my knees. i started with 3lbs weights and i just bought 5lbs yesterday, so i hope i will start getting results this time around. so far i am on day 18 and no results at all this time around! I also have a heart rate monitor and i burn anywhere from 168-220 calories ( goes up with each level on how harder it is on me), i am 5ft 2 inches and about 132 lbs... i found mfp's numbers were too high. hope some of this info helps you.

Thanks! That helps a lot, maybe I should invest in a heart rate monitor. I don't want to try and eat back more calories than I'm burning. 2 inches off of your hips and belly is an awesome accomplishment. I hope it does the same for me, I'll be that much closer to where I want to be. Even if my scale doesn't show me what I want to see lol
  • jbakerak
    Options
    I've never done it but I've seen a quite a few people on here post great results. Most of the time they only lose a couple pounds but there is a noticeable difference in fat loss.

Thank you! I will have to browse around and see if I can find some of those pics for motivation. Not losing lbs was discouraging at first, but then I thought about it and realized I would rather be at the size I am aiming for than the weight I am aiming for.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    It took off about 1.5 inches from my waist, no inches from my hips (I don't carry much fat there though). .5 inches from both thighs and I even lost a half inch from my neck. It got me off my weight loss plateau and I lost about 4 pounds.

I'm on Ripped in 30 now and hoping for similar results.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    If you want I blogged about every day, right now I'm talking about Ripped in 30. However, if you look at previous posts, I updated for every day I did 30 Day Shred.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hedwighigh
  • MissJenn33
    MissJenn33 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm doing it now. I started Monday. It was hard the first 3 days and I was SO SO Sore. Yesterday I felt much better and my stamina is already increasing. On Moday I weighed in @ 130. This morning 128 and my jeans are already less snug. Right now the 30DS is all im doing excercise wise. I'm sticking to my food goals as well and feeling great. I took before pics but I don't want to post until I'm done.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    You can get the video on Youtube if you want to start it now and not wait until it comes in the mail. I plan on starting it tomorrow morning. I need to shred some inches. Pounds don't matter as much to me.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred in November-December and got really great results for my first attempt at exercises other than the treadmill. I was really really out of shape when I started - day 1 put me in pain for 3 days. LOL I started out using 1-3 lb weights, that's how out of shape I was. Once I was able, I started using the next size weight on the moves where I felt comfortable moving up. By the end I was using 3-8 lb I think depending on the particular exercise. I lost 2" off my butt/hip area and 2" off my belly at the navel, plus additional inches everywhere else but those were the big ones (it took me 37 days to do it and I lost 5 lbs during that time, which is the rate I was trying to lose since I was shooting for 1 lb per week at that time). I used my HRM for the calorie burn and ate back my exercise calories and continued to lose weight at basically exactly the rate I was shooting for. The weightloss part is mainly about your calories (intake vs burn) but regardless the exercises will help you tighten up.
  • chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I loved 30 DS. I used 3 lb weights and lost 10 lbs. It is the
    workout that got me to recommit to exercise. Highly recommend!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I finished it a week ago and lost 14lbs and about 13 total inches. I had great results. Im getting ready to start round 2 of it on Monday! Hopefully I get better results since I am now able to do some of the more advanced moves. I used 3lb weights the first half of round 1 and 5lb weights the second half and will be using 5lb weights this time around.
  • lizhughes1
    lizhughes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I have tried it, I love it. This is a Jillian Micheal workout we're talking about so of course it's not easy. I've just completed week 1 and am starting week 2. And yes you will see results. I use 5lbs most of the time but sometimes I use 3lbs. Also she has the beginner modifications so if you really can't do the advanced follow the beginner but personnally if you want to see results you have push yourself. I can't say that I've lost because of this workout because I have a whole bunch of her other workouts that I do as well. But since I've started my diet the 2nd of January I've lost 21 lbs. And my goal is to lose 35 lbs in all, so it doesn't really matter how much you have to lose it all depends on the intensity of your workouts. Another one you might want to try of hers is Boost your Metabolism, it's cardio to the max but it's 50min workout so you might not be able to do it everyday. That what I like about the 30 day shred it's only 20 minutes workouts.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the 30 day shred online yesterday and should be receiving it in a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone has used this. Is it very difficult to do? What kind of results did you get? Do you get good results with the recommended 3 to 5 lbs weights? How are you supposed to know how many calories you burn doing an exercise like this? And wouldn't it change by level? If you don't have 30lbs to lose, are you likely to still lose weight?

Alright... I love this DVD have done it a few different times.... all times I have not found a big weight loss, but def change in toning... there are 3 diff. levels... I suggest you do those levels as she says... 1st 10 days on level 1 / days 11-21 level 2 / days 22-31 level 3. there are 3 girls doing it... one obv. is Jillian, and the other 2 are one on beginners level, and one more advanced. So, any level of fit person can do this just by choosing which girl to follow. ie: I started by following & doing as the beginner person did... and then say the 2nd time around using this, I was able to do the advanced girls way.... it's all about combining cardio with strength.... BUT... as I am a scale watcher, I like to do more cardio (also cardio is what gets rid of the belly bulge) so this time around I do the advance girls way, and then right after I hop on the treadmil & jog (5.0 mph) for 1 mile.... so that i still see the scale change in my favor, AND if you have the extra to lose, as I do, the best way to lose, without ending up w/ excess skin, is strength & cardio... I am loving this & feel so energized after the jog.... we'll see how it goes :) I started using 3 lb weights, but when you do level 3 and need the space between the dumbell & the floor the 5 lb works best.. I suggest start w/ 3 & go up, to avoid injury... GOOD LUCK I think you'll love to "hate" Jillian... she really is great... just work out where a profanity can slip out if needed LMAO... it makes it fun, I think she'd laugh :laugh:
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I did not lose any weight doing the shred and actually gained 3lbs for the first 3 weeks. I lost 2.5inches off of my waist, 2.5 off of my hips, 1.25 off of my thighs, 1.25 off of my calves, 0.5inches off of my neck, 1.75 inches off of my chest. I did not lose any off of my arms but they looked more defined. I have pics on my profile. I didn't use a hrm at first but after I bought it, it said the same amount of calories burnt as MFP did. Just make sure that you push yourself and stay withing your calorie goal. Measure instead of weighing.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am on level 3 and almost done. I bought a HRM to get the number of calories I burn each time. This routine seems to affect people differntly, but inches are generallly lost more than weight, and builds strength and endurance. I still have to do some of the modified moves for level 3 but keeps me moving.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It is funny. I started the 30 DS about a week and 1/2 ago (I am just finishing up level one). I didn't lose anything this week! But this week, all of my co-workers are commenting on how loose my close are, and how my body is really changing it's shape. So, I guess that I don't mind that the scale didn't budge! Clearly, it is making a difference. And I am SO much stronger now that I started. I may stay on level on for just a couple of more days, then I will be ready for level 2.
  • jbakerak
    Options
    I just want to say...Thank you everyone for your feedback! I am excited to start this exercise regimen. I hope I am as successful as everyone else that has tried this. I need to lose about 5 inches around my waist, and even an inch would feel like a good accomplishment, my midsection does not want to budge. Also, congrats to everyone that has done this and the progress they have made!