Losing motivation...

Options
This week I hit 100 consecutive log ins on MFP. I've been consistently under my calorie and fitness goals every week... until the last two weeks. I feel like I hit a wall and I'm slowly sliding back into my old habits.

I've still worked out 5-6 times per week, but I have had to force myself. Up until now, I was waking up looking forward to running. The past couple weeks, it has felt like a chore and I'm really struggling out there.

And my sweet tooth is back and stronger than ever! (Girl Scouts are partially to blame for this!) I have been over my calorie goal just about every other day, mostly because of sugary snacks.

I don't know what triggered this, but I gotta get back on track!!
Anyone else out there who has been in the same boat have any advice?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't stop logging. Even if it's bad. You will go up and down, it happends to all of us. You'll get back on track. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    This week I hit 100 consecutive log ins on MFP. I've been consistently under my calorie and fitness goals every week... until the last two weeks. I feel like I hit a wall and I'm slowly sliding back into my old habits.

I've still worked out 5-6 times per week, but I have had to force myself. Up until now, I was waking up looking forward to running. The past couple weeks, it has felt like a chore and I'm really struggling out there.

And my sweet tooth is back and stronger than ever! (Girl Scouts are partially to blame for this!) I have been over my calorie goal just about every other day, mostly because of sugary snacks.

I don't know what triggered this, but I gotta get back on track!!
    Anyone else out there who has been in the same boat have any advice?
    You could be just bored of your exercise. Try something different.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's understandable. 100 days! You should feel accomplished and very proud of yourself. You didn't come this far for nothing. It's okay. Maybe you should change your logging to maintenance for as much time as you need, and when you're ready, get back at it!
  • Linzee08
    Linzee08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing! I just talked to a friend about it and here is my advice.

1. Like someone else said, don't stop logging. For me that is the beginning of the end. You have to stay accountable.

2. Even if you really enjoy running, it can be monotonous. Buy a few workout videos to mix it up. They have every type of workout now that you can do at home. I have used the Jillian Michaels videos, P90X, Insanity, Turbofire, and Jackie Warner. These are all good. If you want to stick with the running maybe try sprint intervals or run hills instead of one long run. Find some way to mix it up.

3. Get foods you crave out of the house! You are asking for trouble if you keep offending foods within easy reach. I would get rid of them entirely or put them in a special container and put them up over the refrigerator in a cupboard where it is difficult to get to and you don't see them unless you are specifically going to get them. I have seen a lot of posts with low calorie sweet treats on here and online. Here is a good site I found: www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com She has some great stuff. Also google: single serving ____ (whatever you're craving). They have single serving recipes for brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc. This way it doesn't turn into a binge. I also like the Jello Sugar Free Mousse Temptations. They only have 60 calories. With a little fat free whipped cream on top, they're delicious.

Keep up the good work. You have to hang on. You have come this far. Now it is just about finding creative solutions to keep yourself going. Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck! :)
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself do you REALLY want to go back?? Look at old pictures of yourself. Marvel at what you have accomplished. Think of the warm weather coming and all the cute clothes that are out there to be had :)

Hang in there!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    i am closing in on 1000 days since a started this journey back and let me tell you it will never get any easier... you just have to want it more than you want or need to eat Junk and live that old life.... I have never been in the camp of eating whatever you want in moderation... Some people can do it but I just know for me there is no way in heck I keep a box of Oreo's in the cupboard opened and say why sure I can just have 2 cookies after supper tonight and that will satisfy me...That would never happen, I had to empty the house of all the crap and once it was gone within a few short months I didn't crave it anymore... Its like this morning snack, I was happy to choose between baby carrots, almonds, or string cheese, Once I made the lifestyle change these choices just became natural... If you know Girls Scout cookies are going to cause you to fall off the wagon, then don't bring any home and set yourself up for failure..... Just remember it never gets any easier and some days after losing over 300 lbs. do I still have crazy s#@$ creeping back into my head telling me its ok just given in this one time... Sure I do..... But I know all to well who that guy was and I know exactly what I don't want to ever do back to.... So the choice for me becomes real easy, stay the course and enjoy life for everything it has to offer these days and I can tell you sweets, cookies, junk food never made me happy,not one single day, it just numbed the pain I was in and the guilt I felt after only last as long as it took me to get hungry again...It was a vicious cycle I for one never what to go through again..... Good Luck to you......
  • JanisNunez
    JanisNunez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do it, Heather! You are doing amazing and you look great. When this happens to me I have to change my routine. I get bored and am grasping for something...it's usually a new routine. Luckily we are going to Hot Yoga tomorrow morning. That may be the incentive we both need! :) I'm on day 2 of the 30 day shred if you want to join me. :) I'm trying to stay on track since I have a cruise to go on in 30 days!

You can do it! You have done awesome! I'm jealous of your tracking skills too! I slack. Don't give up! :)

Janis
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Perhaps changing your workouts up a bit? What do your 5 ' 6 day workouts consist of? Workout with a friend, substitute exercises, same for food. Change it up but keep it healthy.

t
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Then take a break. Seriously. There is some good evidence that flexible dieters do a lot better in the long haul and keep their weight off once they reach their goal far better than those who are consistently stringent and never allow themselves breaks. It makes sense to me. It helps psychologically because we are programmed to eat and enjoy what we're eating so it's good to take that mental break. It also helps physically as it can raise your metabolism due to leptin and other hormonal factors.

I've done a few diet breaks along the way and it's been nice, I only gained a pound or two that came off within days of getting back on plan, and I continue to have small diet breaks every week. While I don't follow the Spike Diet protocol to the letter, it's a great concept and allows for a diet break for a day a week and you still lose weight. Something you might want to check out. There's a group here.

Lyle McDonald has a great series of articles about the importance and success of being a flexible dieter. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/index.php?s=flexible+diet

It's not a race, it's a lifestyle change. Life is meant to be enjoyed. If you're not enjoying the process you've chosen anymore, change the process and find something you do enjoy, whether temporary or some kind of permanent change.

And if you're getting closer to your goal, you may simply need to be eating a bit more as you should slow down your weight loss to retain more muscle mass. So maybe up your calories by moving to 0.5# or 1# weight loss goals.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    DONT STOP logging we just sometimes get in a funk!! you can do this!!! I know you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    START NOW.

Pick yourself up. Wipe the cookie crumbs from your shirt. Carry on.

I know what you're going through, don't give up! Keep logging, keep on truckin', and get rid of those evil cookies!! :flowerforyou:
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Keep logging, change things up in your workout so you don't get bored or burned out.

I did the same thing when I moved. stopped logging and just got busy with work and other stuff. 3 months later I hit the gym and found that I had gained a lot back and had to start over. plan you're sugary snacks and work for them :)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't stop logging. Even if it's bad. You will go up and down, it happends to all of us. You'll get back on track. :flowerforyou:

Thanks! Good advice! I've been tempted to "cheat" and leave some things off MFP... but I would only be lying to myself!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    Thanks, I did try something new today! I went to a yoga class with friends instead of running by myself. A nice change of pace!
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    I totally understand! I've been having a rough time the last couple of weeks as well. March 1st was my "Restart" day. No more sweets, and keep at it! You can do it - you've come this far! :)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing! I just talked to a friend about it and here is my advice.

1. Like someone else said, don't stop logging. For me that is the beginning of the end. You have to stay accountable.

2. Even if you really enjoy running, it can be monotonous. Buy a few workout videos to mix it up. They have every type of workout now that you can do at home. I have used the Jillian Michaels videos, P90X, Insanity, Turbofire, and Jackie Warner. These are all good. If you want to stick with the running maybe try sprint intervals or run hills instead of one long run. Find some way to mix it up.

3. Get foods you crave out of the house! You are asking for trouble if you keep offending foods within easy reach. I would get rid of them entirely or put them in a special container and put them up over the refrigerator in a cupboard where it is difficult to get to and you don't see them unless you are specifically going to get them. I have seen a lot of posts with low calorie sweet treats on here and online. Here is a good site I found: www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com She has some great stuff. Also google: single serving ____ (whatever you're craving). They have single serving recipes for brownies, chocolate chip cookies, etc. This way it doesn't turn into a binge. I also like the Jello Sugar Free Mousse Temptations. They only have 60 calories. With a little fat free whipped cream on top, they're delicious.

Keep up the good work. You have to hang on. You have come this far. Now it is just about finding creative solutions to keep yourself going. Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck! :)

Great advice! Thank you! My biggest issue is #3!!! If I don't buy it, I won't eat it!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Options
    i am closing in on 1000 days since a started this journey back and let me tell you it will never get any easier... you just have to want it more than you want or need to eat Junk and live that old life.... I have never been in the camp of eating whatever you want in moderation... Some people can do it but I just know for me there is no way in heck I keep a box of Oreo's in the cupboard opened and say why sure I can just have 2 cookies after supper tonight and that will satisfy me...That would never happen, I had to empty the house of all the crap and once it was gone within a few short months I didn't crave it anymore... Its like this morning snack, I was happy to choose between baby carrots, almonds, or string cheese, Once I made the lifestyle change these choices just became natural... If you know Girls Scout cookies are going to cause you to fall off the wagon, then don't bring any home and set yourself up for failure..... Just remember it never gets any easier and some days after losing over 300 lbs. do I still have crazy s#@$ creeping back into my head telling me its ok just given in this one time... Sure I do..... But I know all to well who that guy was and I know exactly what I don't want to ever do back to.... So the choice for me becomes real easy, stay the course and enjoy life for everything it has to offer these days and I can tell you sweets, cookies, junk food never made me happy,not one single day, it just numbed the pain I was in and the guilt I felt after only last as long as it took me to get hungry again...It was a vicious cycle I for one never what to go through again..... Good Luck to you......

Your story is inspirational! Thanks for the advice!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You are in a very similar boat to me. I had almost given up completely, but just yesterday I decided to structure my diet rigidly around specific foods (foods meant to stimulate liver and thyroid function, I know many people will disagree with my methodology for choosing the foods but I doubt they'll disagree with the foods themselves), and am going to simply eat those for a while. Oddly doing something that strict (though I do allow myself a little treat) is boosting my motivation.