Don't know what to do at the gym tonight

Options
I just started exercising and I have been doing the Zumba and Body Pump classes at my gym.

My issue with tonight is....they don't have any classes on Friday nights so I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My suggestion:

Start a lifting program. If you need suggestions NROLFW is good, Jamie Eason has a good program, stronglifts 5x5 is pretty hardcore too.

Depending on how you feel, either just do that if you're beat, light cardio if you're tired but not done, or HIIT if you have a lot left in the tank.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Squat.
  • Chari_Jan
    Options
    Thank you for replying! Anyone else?
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for 15 minutes, exercise bike for 15 minutes (assuming you just want to burn calories)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Get on a treadmill and do "Sprint 8" . It's easier than it sounds, as you control the speeds. It's 8, 30 second "bursts" followed by slow rest periods. I find it fun. You can change the burst speeds from all out Sprint to a brisk walking pace, takes about 20 minutes and is something to do :-)
  • Chari_Jan
    Options
    That's what I was thinking molson622. I can't be on any machine too long without getting bored as hell so I thought I would mix it up with 10 - 15 mins on each one until I felt tired. Then move on to some weights for a few.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking molson622. I can't be on any machine too long without getting bored as hell so I thought I would mix it up with 10 - 15 mins on each one until I felt tired. Then move on to some weights for a few.

Do the weights first, however you choose to lift the muscles you target should be beat when you're done. It's better to do cardio (unless it's as a warmup) after.
  • visions845
    Options
    This is why I exercise at home

I do a hybrid of TurboJam and RockingBody

This way I know I am sure my needs will be met and not rely on a trainer (sorry you can't head out to the Gym tonight)
  • Chari_Jan
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder of the warmup. :)
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    agree wit above post..do a warm up on any machine you want for 10 minutes and then do weights..after that do cardio... :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I run into this same issue on some nights when there are no Body Pump classes and I have to hit my backup gym for a free-form workout. What I do sometimes is try and do my own Body Pump class. Take a small piece of paper or a note card and write down as many of the Body Pump exercises that you can remember. If you are new enough so that you don't remember much yet from the classes, YouTube can be a great resource for Les Mills videos and routines.

Get your MP3 player and cue up a bunch of 3-4 minutes dance tracks and then get to it! I have found that I don't have to remember all the counts and specific combos for each exercise but just keep your weight at your level and do your own custom combo of singles, 2 up/2 down, 4 up/4 down etc. Just like in class, focus on low weights and many reps and just keep moving. Even if you only get 1/2 of the usual workout you get in class you can combine this with any of the previously suggested workouts and you will definitely get your exercise in. Good luck! :smile: