have any ladies toned legs bums & tums at home?

Options
Flissbo
Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
or is it a lot easier in the gym?

I spent about 13 years as a gym member, did a lot in the actual gym but also did classes about 4 or 5 times a week (step classes, boot camp and things like circuits, boxercise, body pump etc) so I know all the exercises but had to switch to swimming because of back problems. My arms are muscly from swimming but my main problem area is my inside and outside thighs. They wobble!! Front and back of thighs not too bad, just the saddle bags around my bum! I'm sure I'm no where near as strong as I used to be in my upper body now either.

My pool membership has just run out and I don't know whether to incorporate a gym membership with it when I renew or just try and get motivated to tone at home. I'm not sure how it works out price wise, I'm going on monday to talk to the membership guy.

I swim over a mile 3 times a week, a combination of crawl, breaststroke and backstroke. I also belly dance and do a bit of yoga. I also get out for a brisk walk of a mile or two maybe once or twice a week.

I have a leg magic machine at home, (which I maybe do once a fortnight- the instructions recommend 4 to 5 times a week!) free weights, fitness ball etc so I could do it at home but its just about the motivation!

I am 5'6.5 and weigh 124 pounds with body fat of 20.5 %. I'm 33.

I really wanna start toning a bit more and everyday I think I will make the effort and then I never get around to it. Rubbish I know! When I used to weight train at the gym I know I had muscles but I was about 30 pounds heavier so I guess it didn't show.

I guess with a body fat of 20.5% it wouldn't take too long for me to notice a difference if I could just get motivated?

Any thoughts please about training at home versus the gym. Or any recommendations about how to get into it again? I keep reading about a book called something like new rules for lifting for woman. Is it worth getting? WIll it get me motivated? lol

I suppose I want to do whatever is going to get the best results without taking up too much of my time. (though I am prepared to make the effort if the results will be worth it)

Thanks in advance for any comments, and wishing you all a fab weekend, it 5pm here in the UK so I guess that's the official start of the weekend :-)

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have never been to the gym, so I cant compare. However I do workout a lot at home.
    Jillian Micheals has some good DVD's like No More Trouble zones. Or you could try the Brazillian butt lift. :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I workout from home all the time. I find it works for me. I workout on my own terms in the comfort of my own home.

It also helps that I have a stationary bike.

There are tons of free sites with great workouts... I use bodyrock.tv, and ZWOW on Youtube. Both focus on calisthenics, interval training, etc. It is really good.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I guess. Even when I was overweight I had toned legs and butt.

I use Jillian Michael's videos now for strength and I get my cardio in at the gym. I use way heavier weights than she uses though and go a lot slower :)
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    My stationary bike has already firmed up a lot of my inner and outer thigh jiggle and I just got the machine in late January. Although I only started using it consistently 2-3 weeks ago. I'd say if you get one, expect results from consistent working out on it in about 4-6 weeks.

I also do 30DS which tones my bum and legs through lunges and squats.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, a doorway pull-up bar and a barbell + weights, so I do my muscle building at home. I bought them because it was cheaper than a gym membership over the long run for me, and because there are a lot of gang-member jocks in my area who like to glare at women using the weights. :P Plus, it's much easier to motivate myself to lift when I don't have to bus -> change -> gym -> change -> bus.
  • NimotheFrog
    Options
    Ready for this?

Stand on ONE leg. TOUCH your toes. Do this 10 times. SWITCH legs. DO three sets. DONE.

You'll see improvement within a month. I BET YOU!

No weights no fuss. Just gotta do it 3 times a week. Don't do it back to back or you will strain those hammy's. Watch your butt and thighs shrink.

My 10cents.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ready for this?

Stand on ONE leg. TOUCH your toes. Do this 10 times. SWITCH legs. DO three sets. DONE.

I am so going to do this - or at least attempt it without falling on my face!
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 weeks into P90X2 and it's amazing how great my results are so far!! I have a big butt, that's genetic! lol... but yeah I was starting to get the saddle bags with CELLULITE!!! My saddle bags AND cellulite are disappearing! My inner thighs are showing results too, but not as quick... as a woman that's one of the places we deposit fat!!! YUK!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym member for over 2 years but even with all the cardio, stepping machine and leg machines, I wasn't seeing much, if any, progress on my butt and upper thighs. Then I got the Pauline Nordin "Butt Bible" and went through the 6 week program once, and am continuing to do levels 2 and 3 and definitely have seen some lifting/toning in my butt and thigh areas. So I do a mixture of work at home with the dvds and also a couple days at the gym. The set is less than $20 on Amazon and I would highly recommend it! The set includes 3 levels of both upper and lower body workouts.
    Btw, I am 40 and 126 lbs, 5 ft 1 and mostly working on toning right now.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've always done all my working out at home. Who wants to wait in line to use some sweaty equipment, YUK!

At home I can get it done, and jump right into a clean shower!
  • ca551dy
    ca551dy Posts: 18
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' DVDs are GREAT for toning those areas, and they don't take very long to complete. Ripped in 30 is less than 30 minutes per workout. Very challenging, effective, quick and convenient.
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    All Jillian Michaels workouts are awesome! I lofve them all, but if you're looking for legs, why not try her Killer Buns & Thighs? Great DVD :happy:
  • Flissbo
    Options
    wow thanks girls some fab suggestions, loving the standing on one leg thing!

I keep seeing people mention the 30 day shred and gillian but I don't think we have that in the UK, but I bet I can google it and get it on amazon, I'm guessing they are dvd's yeah?

I feel lots more motivated already :-)
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've always done all my working out at home. Who wants to wait in line to use some sweaty equipment, YUK!

At home I can get it done, and jump right into a clean shower!

I couldn't agree more. I am seriously contemplating on canceling my gym membership and use DVD's!
  • Flissbo
    Options
    Ready for this?

You'll see improvement within a month. I BET YOU!

No weights no fuss. Just gotta do it 3 times a week. Don't do it back to back or you will strain those hammy's. Watch your butt and thighs shrink.

My 10cents.

haha just tried this and can't believe how hard it is. Even got a bit puffed and I am fit I think! Felt like I had to really hold my core so I didn't fall over, what a great suggestion, thank you :-)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You can find 30DS online. I recommend it too. I have noticed a significant difference in my butt, legs, stomach, and even arms! Oh I should note, I've only even finished level 1. I have 20 more days to go.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Other than a couple yoga classes, I do all my workouts at home. My choice is out of necessity, there are no gyms close, but it works well for me. Over time I've collected a bit of equipement: dumbbells up to 15 lbs, long step, barbell and adjustable dumbbells up to 180 lbs, sliding disks, mat, lifting gloves, and stretchy bands. I still want some heavier dumbbells and pull up bar but the above takes care of all my current needs. I like to workout to videos. My favorite instructor is Cathe Friedrich; I've seen big improvements in my muscle tone using her lifting workouts.

So, yes it can be done from home :)
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love the gym....I can only motivate myself at home for so long. I just like the idea of everyone working together for the same ultimate goals there. Also gives me TONS of ideas for weight training. Just love it. Also gives me a chance to get out of the house since I work from home. That is a HUGE plus for me.
  • Flissbo
    Options
    You can find 30DS online. I recommend it too. I have noticed a significant difference in my butt, legs, stomach, and even arms! Oh I should note, I've only even finished level 1. I have 20 more days to go.

thank you, Just looked on Amazon and they are well cheap, about 5 quid which I think is about $8. Yay!

There is:
    30 day shred,
    Banish fat, boost metabolism
    6 week 6 pack
    no more trouble zones
    making the cut
    ripped in 30 with killer buns and thighs (in a box set)

I guess I get the box set as I get two to do then?

I am excited!!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 weeks into P90X2 and it's amazing how great my results are so far!! I have a big butt, that's genetic! lol... but yeah I was starting to get the saddle bags with CELLULITE!!! My saddle bags AND cellulite are disappearing! My inner thighs are showing results too, but not as quick... as a woman that's one of the places we deposit fat!!! YUK!!!

I didn't even know there was a p90x 2!! I have p90x. Do you know what the difference is? thanks! :)