Need some advice

Options
Hi all. I've been on mfp for a little over a month now and it's really changing my life! But, I'm so confused about the exercise calories and what to burn and what not to burn. I bought a heartrate monitor and have been using that when I workout, and I burn a LOT of calories when I exercise. (woohoo!) I know it's because my heart and body are so unhealthy and that will go down as I get into better shape, which is why I need to keep going on the workouts. But, what do I do as far as eating when I'm burning around 1000+ calories in the gym 4 (or more) days a week? The scale isn't moving very quickly and I am eating. I'll leave my food diary open so that I can get suggestions on how to do this better. I'm really trying to change the way I eat and live, so I'm trying to form good habits now. But, I have so far left to go on this journey and sometimes it gets very overwhelming.

BTW, the success stories on here are awesome! I love reading those! Please keep them coming. :)

Replies

• pshearer7777
    pshearer7777 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Because people are so different, I always recommend playing around a little bit until you find what works for your body, your environment, your lifestyle, etc.

So, if you aren't getting the kinds of results with eating back all of your exercise calories (and you are eating enough food overall - and you seem to be eating well), then I would start eating back only 75% of the exercise calories. If that still doesn't help you very much, slide down to eating back 50% of the exercise calories.

Somewhere in there, you will find a sweet spot that works for you and you'll be hitting on all cylinders!