Pain after exercising :'(

Options
I haven't exercised in a long while ..the other day I walked in place for 5 minutes and then did 3 sets of moves: 10 reps of "Wall Squats" , 15 reps of "Pli'e Squats and 10 reps of Toe-Touch Lounge with 5 pound weights" ..after this my legs where a little sore but yesterday I woke up with really bad pain in my thigh muscles. I can't elevate by legs and stand up from sitting without pain. I have to have someone help me stand up :( it hurts badly. It's been 2 days already and the pain won't go away. Is there a way to exercise without getting these after exercise pains? Why did I do wrong? Why won't my pain go away and what can I do to prevent it next time?

I am trying to start moving and exercising for my health but these pains scare me away. :cry:

Replies

• stephiepoo
    Options
    I haven't exercised in a long while ..the other day I walked in place for 5 minutes and then did 3 sets of moves: 10 reps of "Wall Squats" , 15 reps of "Pli'e Squats and 10 reps of Toe-Touch Lounge with 5 pound weights" ..after this my legs where a little sore but yesterday I woke up with really bad pain in my thigh muscles. I can't elevate by legs and stand up from sitting without pain. I have to have someone help me stand up :( it hurts badly. It's been 2 days already and the pain won't go away. Is there a way to exercise without getting these after exercise pains? Why did I do wrong? Why won't my pain go away and what can I do to prevent it next time?

I am trying to start moving and exercising for my health but these pains scare me away. :cry:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Is it muscle soreness or a different kind of pain?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    What you did was start out with too much. Especially since you haven't exercised in a long time. Don't fret, you will be sore for the next couple days but it will go away. The pain is usually worst on the 2nd day.

ICE ICE ICE and take some Advil, Motrin or Aleeve if you are able to.

DON't let this scare you away from being active. This SAME thing happens to me all the time when I haven't lifted weights in a long time. I can't even sit down on the toilet without holding on to the walls!!:bigsmile: TMI I know.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Always stretch well before and after exercising.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    And STRETCH!!! Quad and hamstring stretches will help ease the discomfort. Next time, make sure you stretch well AFTER your workout, when your muscles are warm.

:flowerforyou:
  • exercisediva
    Options
    you have onset muscle soreness. time, ice and stretching will help
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    just know that first time back is the worse. Keep on exercising.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    just know that first time back is the worse. Keep on exercising.
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    "Is it muscle soreness or a different kind of pain? "

I think it's muscle soreness but I wouldn't know the difference. :frown:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Is it an ache or a sharp pain?

If it's an ache then it's muscle soreness.

If it's a sharp pain it's something else.

If it's numbness, tingling or burning it's nerve problems.
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    It was muscle soreness, I took an Advil and the pain is lessening everyday. Thanks everyone.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You're a trooper! Wall squats kill but they're great for you!
    If you keep at them, they're great pre-work for kettlebells because they teach you perfect form for a lot of the movements.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Try some chocolate milk after working out. It really helps with muscle recovery and can lessen morning-after soreness.

Google "chocolate milk recovery" for more info.