Here's why you're not losing weight! Follow this equation!

Options

Replies

• Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My BMR is about 1,500... My activity level is sedentary.. So my goal then theoretically should be about 1600 calories..
    MFP says my daily goal should be 1,200 calories..

Also i record my average net for each week, and if i gain weight that week its normally because my average for that week went over 1,200 calories a day.
    So if i eat my BMR i gain weight.. =S

I really dont understand how it works at all..
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    So I lost 12 lbs in 12 weeks and then stalled....recalculated everything and based on my TDEE-500 calories I increased my calorie goal.......hoping this will help me start losing again as I can tell I have built muscle!

Good luck everyone!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP! to read when im not at work!!
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • angelz_love
    angelz_love Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get it...but it still seems crazy to me to eat so many calories. I do remember in my 20's ( wahh! I miss that muscle tone!) I would eat a LOT when I was really active in the gym. I have been eating healthy for a month now. Lost belly fat but no inches off the waist which is what I need to fit my wedding dress grrrr!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am sure others will add. You may not be losing weight because you are not drinking enough water. I really have this problem in the winter.

And, a pound is 3,500 calories. If you maintain your activity, when you eat 3,500 less calories than you burn, you will lose one pound. That is simple math.

Truth is, you don't simply want to loss weight. You want to learn to eat healthy and live right. That is the ultimate goal. So, eating 500 less calories than you burn will have you lose a pound a week. Eating 1,000 less calories will have you lose 2 pounds a week. On Biggest Loser, they lose 10 pounds a week. Yep, you figured it out, they are burning 5,000 more calories a day than they are consuming. I wouldn't do this without a doctor and proper vitamins. But, they have the doctors, the trainers and the dietitians to help them. For the rest of us: eat healthy, burn more than you eat, drink water and exercise.

I total agree with this..and l will be doing this one, thanks for that,...
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    :noway:

I've been quoted...

I want to add a few things to clarify stuff. The "chart" that I posted originally that was quoted was using example numbers of a specific person's BMR. You need to know your BMR for it to work. Conveniently, MFP has a BMR calculator (it's under the Tools tab.) There are also lots of different sites around the internet that have calculators using different formulas, my personal favorite is the Katch-McArdle formula, as that takes individual muscle mass into consideration. Of course, if you don't know your body fat percentage, just stick with the MFP number, it's gonna be close enough.

The full formula I was referring to is "BMR x Activity Factor = TDEE"
    TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which is the total number of calories you burn on a normal day. BMR is the total number of calories you would burn if you were in a coma, in other words, just enough to maintain vital organ function and maintenance. The real goal is to find your BMR, then use that to calculate your TDEE (be honest with your activity level, the only person you hurt lying about it is you,) then NET somewhere between those 2 numbers and you will lose weight.

What does NET mean? It means "Food Eaten - Exercise Calories Burned." This is an important distinction, as most people just pick BMR and decide to just eat that. But, when you burn calories while exercising, you are essentially erasing those calories from your diet for the day. So, if your BMR is 1400, and you choose to eat 1400, and then you exercise and burn 800 calories on a nice long run, then you've only netted 600 calories. Most people will agree that if you eat 600 calories a day without exercising, it's not healthy. Well, netting 600 calories a day is equally unhealthy, as the body doesn't recognize a difference between the too. Either way, it only has 600 calories to run and maintain your vital organs with (when you exercise, your body uses that energy as it happens, it doesn't think about whether it should save some to keep your heart beating, as far as the body is concerned, you aren't on a treadmill, you're running from a tiger, and if the tiger catches you, well, it won't need to worry about keeping your heart beating, anyway.)

So, recap. Use the BMR calculator, and then figure out your TDEE from there. Pick a number between them, and NET it consistently. Lose weight. Enjoy life. :drinker:

Best explanation I've read, hands down. Your written communication skills are exceedingly excellent! :flowerforyou:
  • JenW0217
    JenW0217 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump ~ read later
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump!!
  • prestigegirl
    Options
    Does this mean that there is no way that I can lose 2 pounds each week? My calories to lose 1 pound a week is 1200ish, so I can't drop that down any lower in a safe way to drop 2 pounds a week...or can I?? HELP, ANYONE!! :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    This is very simple and good to know!!! And at 1750 maintenance calories I need - the 500 I've been right at where MFP put me, which is reassuring because I was worried I may have been under-eating. Thanks!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks
  • BevP123
    BevP123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great explanations, thanks so much. Wish I'd seen this years ago instead of being queen of yoyo diets x
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump