Alternative to DeadLifts/Rows?

Options

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on ph.d.

You can deadlift with dumbbells if you want. These are typically done with your hands at your side.

No you can't. Not if it's because the guys scare you. Face this fear. It will subside quickly, I promise.
    :flowerforyou:

why not?

I think She was joking. Saying that she should face her fears instead.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky at my gym. For some weird reason even the guys don't use the rack as much as they use the Smith machines. I rarely have to ever wait to get the rack. It's a smaller gym, so maybe that's the reason.

Just shove a couple of those guys out of the way and go for it...hehe. Don't let them intimidate you....they usually aren't as mean as they look. Well, usually..;P My son said there was a one meany there one time who told him to get out of the way..:(
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Don't let the guys get in the way of your workout. Not a good excuse! Just grab a bar from a squat rack :]
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky at my gym. For some weird reason even the guys don't use the rack as much as they use the Smith machines. I rarely have to ever wait to get the rack. It's a smaller gym, so maybe that's the reason.

Just shove a couple of those guys out of the way and go for it...hehe. Don't let them intimidate you....they usually aren't as mean as they look. Well, usually..;P My son said there was a one meany there one time who told him to get out of the way..:(

So true. I had this one really buff guy that looks all scary standing in front of me one time. I said excuse me so I could get the dumbbells I needed. He moved and pointed to the heavy ones he was using and told me that I'd be on those soon. Haha.
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    bumb for later
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    I agree with the rest of them!

I brought myself over to that area & I was pretty scrawny to start with. I am now able to deadlift 60 lbs heavier than what I started with. If I let those BUFF girls intimidate me, I would have never gotten better.
    I know people (friends) that does not want to go to the gym with me. Their excuse they are not in shape. I laugh.

Do it! Go there! :)))
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    mean-scary looking guys are always over there benching 150 pounds on ph.d.

You can deadlift with dumbbells if you want. These are typically done with your hands at your side.

No you can't. Not if it's because the guys scare you. Face this fear. It will subside quickly, I promise.
    :flowerforyou:

why not?

I meant it lightheartedly. But here's my reasoning. Lifting heavy has a lot to offer. Beyond the obvious physical benefits, part of what it offers --to me at least-- is growing confidence. And the thrill of feeling a little tenacious. Facing the guys who intimidate you might be an opportunity to get that tenacity going. And probably also learn there's nothing to be intimidated about.

Just my 2 cents.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your gym is like, but see if you can pay a trainer for one or two sessions or get one of the gym workers (preferably someone with the words "fitness" "helper" in their job title to a) get you in the weight room with those big scary guys and b) show you proper form. OR ask one of those big scary guys for help.

Ding Ding Ding!!! This answer!! Ask a trainer or someone who works in the gym to show you where the weights are to do the exercises that you want to do. Do not be afraid of the guys! If they do something stupid like make dumb comments or be rude to you - tell the owner of the gym! When they get asked to leave and not return they might realize that they shouldn't act like that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    OR ask one of those big scary guys for help.

Totally agree!
    Should have added this in my post.

Also remember the guys are only scary in your mind, when really for the most part, they are just normal people (with big muscles) although of course you get the odd jerk anywhere.

YUP

I go to LA Fitness with all scary dudes too, and they are so helpful. Some are guidos (think Jersey Shore), but most of them are normal, sweet, helpful guys who have been great support for me.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am almost finished with stage one and really suggest you just use one of the bars from the bench. Just wait until one is open and grab it.

Also, by assisted squats do you mean a smith machine? (the bar is connected to metal pole that limit its mobility) If so...step slowly away from these and never go back. It's worth the trouble to be using "oly" bars (the big 45 lbs ones at the bench presses) for all your squats and deadlifts in this program. You will eventually get to a point where you can't continue to use dumbbells. Might as well start now!

I actually have to move an extra oly bar from another place in the gym over to the smith squat rack and use that to do these exercises (deadlift can be of course done in any open space). Just do it!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have found that those "mean scary guys" are the nicest people you want to meet. They have helped me in so many ways, and one in particular is pushing me just past my comfort zone. I am amazed at what I can lift with a little encouragement. if a barbell is available, go take it and do what you need to do.

I do agree with above posters. It is so worth having a trainer to get you started in the right direction. Proper form is so important.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't really mean "scary". I just kind of feel like an *kitten* taking a bar from the bench when people have to stand and wait to get their bench press in. (because apparently everyone in my gym does bench press on every workout).

I'm confident that I have proper form- just finding resources is the problem! I'll make it happen and appreciate all the responses!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am almost finished with stage one and really suggest you just use one of the bars from the bench. Just wait until one is open and grab it.

Also, by assisted squats do you mean a smith machine? (the bar is connected to metal pole that limit its mobility) If so...step slowly away from these and never go back. It's worth the trouble to be using "oly" bars (the big 45 lbs ones at the bench presses) for all your squats and deadlifts in this program. You will eventually get to a point where you can't continue to use dumbbells. Might as well start now!

I actually have to move an extra oly bar from another place in the gym over to the smith squat rack and use that to do these exercises (deadlift can be of course done in any open space). Just do it!

Also yes the smith machine. I can do squats or squat and presses with 20lbs in each hand, but give me a bar and I feel like in going to fall on my butt! (maybe its mental?) again maybe part of the problem is it seems like we have a shortage in our gym. :P

I almost wish I could just buy one and some weights and do this at home! But alas that's not possible. :(
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think most of the guys would think it's cool that you want to lift like that and would help you. I think it's cool as hell personally.

Trainers... Pay attention to the trainers and see how they workout and see if you can tell if they know what they're doing. Maybe it's just the trainers at my gym that suck because they're less knowledgeable about doing lifts correctly than most of the regulars that come in. Honestly, your best bet is to go online and grab some videos on YouTube. For deadlifting look for anything from Dave Tate, Jim Wendler, Mark Rippletoe, Andy Bolton, even Christian Thibideau.

RE Alternative Exercises: There are alternatives like the DB DL, just don't think of it as a true replacement because it's a different movement pattern. Nothing wrong with DB DL's, but it's not the same. Learn the conventional DL or even Sumo DL.
  • rainybelle
    Options
    The rowing machine is awesome as it is cardio and strength training combined, but it is Hard. Um I use tension bands myself as it is easier on the ligaments. I once hurt myself throwing a football and it was never the same.
    Yeah I agree : Rainbowbow. There are so many guys at the gym and they kinda occupy a certain spot... and I used to try and work around them. Now I just workout at home. But year you can do it all with Tension Bands
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

Also yes the smith machine. I can do squats or squat and presses with 20lbs in each hand, but give me a bar and I feel like in going to fall on my butt! (maybe its mental?) again maybe part of the problem is it seems like we have a shortage in our gym. :P

I almost wish I could just buy one and some weights and do this at home! But alas that's not possible. :(

Some gyms have a plastic bar sitting around, try with that first if you can (or even a broom at home) to get the feel of something there. Then if you can do proper squats with 40 lbs of dumbbells you can do it with an oly bar, just ease yourself in.

You are paying for that gym! You have every right to use the equipment as those guys or anyone else! Jump in line, wait your turn and take it for your reps! In both deadlift and squat they are only 2-3 sets right in a row so that's not at all unreasonable.

In the last part of the book Lou talks about how he can't make you do any of this and that you have decide to do it (or something like that...its the last few pages). Don't let a silly bar be that thing.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    to the experts? Can an EZ bar double up as a deadlift bar? will the odd grip change the motion at all?

If not, then there should be a lot floating around, LA fitness goes up to 100 lbs on the EZ's so should be good for starting out
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

^ This on smith machines... I've seen some SCARY movements on these things...that smith guy should be ashamed of himself
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    to the experts? Can an EZ bar double up as a deadlift bar? will the odd grip change the motion at all?

If not, then there should be a lot floating around, LA fitness goes up to 100 lbs on the EZ's so should be good for starting out

Interesting suggestion, not sure to be honest. Guessing I'd say it wouldn't change much of the motion at all. Try it and tell us. :) I didn't even realize EZ bars went that heavy. I've seen Fat bars but nothing like that.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^ This on smith machines... I've seen some SCARY movements on these things...that smith guy should be ashamed of himself

Really? Ugh....I asked the gym people to show me the squat rack and that's what they pointed me toward. Guess I need to reevaluate that.