Twilight..wtf?

Options

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Definitely a keeper! :bigsmile:

I'm ready to start reading twilight to Nick. See if he'll pick up the hints.......:wink:

Read it to him naked :laugh: , he'll get the hint :noway:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I am almost done all the books and refuse to watch the movie because I've heard the movie spoils everything....apparently in the movie they just dont capture the true passion that is between bella and edward...they just look like teenagers who stare at eachother a lot...hahaha..if you have read the books though, apparently it makes a little more sense so I am going to once Im done them all and it can't ruin anything for me. I agree the books are NOT brilliant works of fiction hahaha, but they are the perfect escape. Easy to read, simple and totally yummy!hahahaha..
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I'm actually watching Twilight right now. I love the books and I'm sorry but I like the movie too. :love: :love:

I didn't think it was that bad and the kid they picked to play Jasper is perfect and so super cute!! Love him.

Alice is spot on but I hate the casting for Rosalie and Esme. Can't deal with Peter Facinelli cuz all I think of is him playing the duchebag in Can't Hardly Wait.
    I liked it too.....but I watched the movie before I read the book...almost finished with it now. I didn't know anything about any of it beforehand...maybe that helped...lol
    I liked the intensity between them, they way they looked at eachother.........
    Glad someone else liked it or I wouldn't have posted...lol:laugh:
    I was going to tell you yesterday.....I love your pic!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite current series is, "The Golden Compass" by Phillip Pullman. I LOVED the books and I loved the movie! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

How could you love that movie?? THEY BUTCHERED IT. I have never left a movie so upset before. They could have done MAGICAL things with those books and the movie was just garbage.

The books are AMAZING though.

If you liked Harry Potter and the Dark Materials books you will LOVE the series by Garth Nix. The first book is called Sabriel. READ IT. It's my favorite out of all of them.

Have you ever read the "Key's to the Kingdom" series my Garth Nix? One of the most addicting series ever! I love love love them. The seventh (and final :sad: ) book comes out this summer, so now is the perfect time to read them!

And the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathon Stroud. Excellent, hillarious books. Now I wanna read them again! :laugh:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I got talked into reading the books and although I found the first one very adolescent I found they got better as you go through the series. They're not as good as the Vampire Chronicles but they were also written for a totally different audience. I think if you take them for what they are, they are great, very enjoyable. Sorry, but I must say though, that for the first 3 books, I wanted to strangle Bella. She was so annoyingly insecure.

Anyways, most movies don't live up to their books. But in this case I though the movie was actually pretty well done. It stuck close to the storyline in the book and I think the actors were well cast. I mean what more could you really want? My only complaint would be the chessy make up.

However that being said I don't think it is a great movie, but (at the risk of being slaughtered) as I said I didn't think the first book was that great either. I am excited to see New Moon though and I like the fact that Dakota Fanning was cast as Jane. I'm also holding out hope that Midnight Sun (Twilight written by Edward) will be released soon. I think his prespective on meeting and falling in love with Bella will be more interesting. I've already read bits of it online.

Is anyone reading the Sookie Stackhouse books? The show True Blood is based on them. I'm on book 4 right now.:happy:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I hate the movie it didnt do the books any justice neither did the cast..that was NOT what sexy boy was supposed to look like hahaah.. at least not in my head...the only thing they got right was her clunky truck....:huh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Have you ever read the "Key's to the Kingdom" series my Garth Nix? One of the most addicting series ever! I love love love them. The seventh (and final :sad: ) book comes out this summer, so now is the perfect time to read them!

And the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathon Stroud. Excellent, hillarious books. Now I wanna read them again! :laugh:

I tried to read Key's to the Kingdom but the paled in comparison to the Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen books. Couldn't really get into them. :sad: I :heart: Garth Nix too!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I got talked into reading the books and although I found the first one very adolescent I found they got better as you go through the series. They're not as good as the Vampire Chronicles but they were also written for a totally different audience. I think if you take them for what they are, they are great, very enjoyable. Sorry, but I must say though, that for the first 3 books, I wanted to strangle Bella. She was so annoyingly insecure.

Anyways, most movies don't live up to their books. But in this case I though the movie was actually pretty well done. It stuck close to the storyline in the book and I think the actors were well cast. I mean what more could you really want? My only complaint would be the chessy make up.

However that being said I don't think it is a great movie, but (at the risk of being slaughtered) as I said I didn't think the first book was that great either. I am excited to see New Moon though and I like the fact that Dakota Fanning was cast as Jane. I'm also holding out hope that Midnight Sun (Twilight written by Edward) will be released soon. I think his prespective on meeting and falling in love with Bella will be more interesting. I've already read bits of it online.

Is anyone reading the Sookie Stackhouse books? The show True Blood is based on them. I'm on book 4 right now.:happy:

I just started reading the sookie books last night. I already watched True Blood and was pleasantly surprised at how well the show followed the books. I'm glad there's so many of them because I am a SUPER fast reader and blow through things. :grumble: :angry: :explode:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Got truly sucked into the books - as long as you let your inner 17 year old comeout.....

You have to remember that Twilight was filmed with almost no budget and no star power (Rob Pattenson is barely a blip on the Harry Potter scene), so I think it suffered from both a writing and a direction standpoint. The spent too much time trying to explain the plot through dialogue rather than having the actor actually act....

I'm looking forward to New Moon - I think it was brilliant to change directors (despite the PC explanation, I think it was truly a functional decision) and the fact that there are some "brand names" on the credits speaks volumes about improving the quality of this next movie.
  • molsongirl
    Options
    I got the book, gonna try to read it.....:laugh: , and no one will slaughter you for an opinion. If you liked the movie, that's really ok :laugh: , I just really didn't like it, it was more like Tinkerbell wih fangs, totally weird.
  • paddlemom
    Options
    I got the book, gonna try to read it.....:laugh: , and no one will slaughter you for an opinion. If you liked the movie, that's really ok :laugh: , I just really didn't like it, it was more like Tinkerbell wih fangs, totally weird.

Ya, the attraction with it had probably more to do with hormones, turning 50 and lost youth...:laugh: it sure isn't a literary marvel or anything, and I'm not usually such a sheep:ohwell:

....I agree - to each his own. At least you will be up on your teenybopper pop culture!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

There are another BRILLIANT set of books by Diana Gabaldon. It's called The Outlander Series. They're adult fiction but another of my most favorite series. The first one is called Outlander. Another amazing guy in those stories that gives unrealistic expectations in men. :laugh:

My friend got me hooked on the Outlander Series. We're fighting over Jamie... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • molsongirl
    Options
    omg teenybop culture...lol, I have 9 kids in my house right now btw 13-17...it's rough.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    omg teenybop culture...lol, I have 9 kids in my house right now btw 13-17...it's rough.

Actually, the Outlander series is Adult Fiction. Not teenybop.

It's a really great story. TONS of books that 1000+ pages long. Extremely well written.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

There are another BRILLIANT set of books by Diana Gabaldon. It's called The Outlander Series. They're adult fiction but another of my most favorite series. The first one is called Outlander. Another amazing guy in those stories that gives unrealistic expectations in men. :laugh:

My friend got me hooked on the Outlander Series. We're fighting over Jamie... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Who WOULDN'T fight over him! He's just so manly and dreamy! :laugh:

Have you read them all yet? I'm so glad she is working on another one. I just finished breath of snow and ash.
  • molsongirl
    Options
    I'm going to see if I can them as books on tape,or whatever it's called now..lol
  • paddlemom
    Options

Holy raging hormones Batman!!!! My 3 are now 21, 23 and 25.....I barely survived their teens and everytime the three of them spend more than 24 hours together in the same house I am reminded all over again.....:sad:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I watched Twilight this evening. What a stupid lame movie. Shoulda named it "Retarded freak Sparkly Boy". and that's all I gotta say about that. :happy:

I just read that to my husband and he laughed & laughed! Thanks!
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That's hilarious. Everyone has been telling me to read the books, but they just don't look like something I'd enjoy. I'm following your lead on this one & staying away. LOL

My daughters swear up and down that the books are way better...but I don't know...:laugh: my theory is, if the recommendations are coming from girls under 16 yrs of age, chances are i'm not going to like it. The whole vampire thing, just isn't my thing.

ok I'm 30 and I agee with your daughter the books where great the best part of the movie for me was wacthing the young girls in th theatre go nuts:laugh:
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm going to see if I can them as books on tape,or whatever it's called now..lol

The audio is pretty decent. It's how I actually read the books, because I love listening to books! Try checking the cd's out from your local library!