america's next top model plus size cycle

Options

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I don't even think my skeleton is a size 8.

This!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Does it not depress anyone else that size 8 is considered "plus size"?

YES!!! And when plus size clothing stores start around size 10/12 and yet I would like to get to a size 10. But shoot I will still be plus sized at 8 apparently if I go lower
  • empleh69
    empleh69 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm not being critical of you personally, but the thought that a size 8 would be considered plus size in our society BLOWS MY MIND. :)

Can't agree with this more, size 8 as a "plus" size is down right NUTS!!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    AGREED!!!!
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think they have had one or two plus sized models in a couple of seasons of the show..

Funny you say that because I just read this post and was thinking its sad we say size 8 is plus size when the average used to be a 12/14
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Im kind of depressed. I guess no matter how low I go I will always be considered plus size even if I was to be a walking skeleton. With my frame I dont think I could get down to a size 8 unless I had my frame shaved down. Oh well.. I go by how I feel not as society tells me to feel..
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I find it very sad that size 8 is considered plus size. Depressing to say the least.

Maybe this size 8 is for someone that is like 3ft tall????? Just saying.. im 5ft and wear a 6 right now and would not say I am plus size nor would I have at size 8. Something is just tooo wrong about this..
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    When did size 8 become a plus size, that's my goal and where I used to shop there was no size 8 clothes.
  • disneydiva21
    Options
    my goal size is an 10 :grumble:
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... :flowerforyou:
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    US size eight is a UK size 12, it's not plus sized, anything including & past a UK 16 is plus sized.
    That's a US 12.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My goal is 8-10. Well let's say 8 at gap or old navy, which more like a 10 or 12 at other places. ;)
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm not being critical of you personally, but the thought that a size 8 would be considered plus size in our society BLOWS MY MIND. :)

^^YES!!! OMG.... that is absurd! No wonder why so many young girls have eating disorders.
  • Kittykat_87
    Options
    theyve had one or two plus size models here and there on the show but what im saying is everyone needs to be a plus size and i dont think a size 8 is plus size but in model world they do so thats why i said that
  • Sibby123
    Sibby123 Posts: 99
    Options
    I don't even think my skeleton is a size 8.
    Right!? Exactly what I was thinking!
    -RaindropWishes

Edit - accidentally used my partner's account.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Models are several sizes smaller than the average woman. That holds true for "regular" sizes as well as plus sizes. I am 3 pounds from my goal and I'm an 8 or 10 - obviously it's not a real plus size, but it's several sizes larger than the regular "model" look.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think the whole plus size not plus size takes into account girls who are barely out of puberty..so of course they have not grown into their womanly figures..

I am currently between a 6/8...I am not plus size by any means...thats why I think we need to focus more on the mirror and less on labels..its sad...very sad.....
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Same here! I'm a dress size 7/8, but I can't shop in plus size stores either! I'm very pear-shaped (definite ghetto booty, haha), I still generally fit a size small top.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    For regular life, no, a size 8 is not plus sized. In the fashion industry, it is considered plus sized. There is a difference.

The fashion industry gets a lot of flack for emaciated models, but MANY designers these days are refusing to employ models who appear to be unhealthily thin. Michael Kors and Diane von Furstenberg are the first 2 that come to mind. "Sample size" for designer clothing is roughly a size 2. While designers realize that most women are not a size 2, the thin models are used almost as hangers for their garments. The prime objective of a designer and model when putting on a runway show or creating an ad for a magazine is how to make people notice the garment first. If you've got a voluptuous model with sexy curves, people are less likely to notice the clothing first.

Now, I personally love the super models of the 90s. Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum (although she has been modeling her VSes more recently than Tyra). More curves. But even at the height of their careers, they were all slim and roughly a size 2 or 4--they just had more curves.

I think women of all sizes can be seen as beautiful. Look at Crystal Renn. At the beginning of her modeling career she was plus sized, and arguable one of the most successful plus sized models ever. But now, she is considered a standard sized model (she has lost quite a bit of weight). And she has looked absolutely beautiful and every size she's been.

To sum it up: real life sizing and fashion sizing are NOT THE SAME THING. Nobody thinks you're actually plus sized if you're a size 8. It's simply a term in the fashion world for women who are not sample sized.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Im kind of depressed. I guess no matter how low I go I will always be considered plus size even if I was to be a walking skeleton. With my frame I dont think I could get down to a size 8 unless I had my frame shaved down. Oh well.. I go by how I feel not as society tells me to feel..

THIS!!! Yea. I don't think my body can get to a size 8 either without me becoming practically anorexic.. I'm a size 12 & I must say, it looks pretty darn good on me! The smallest I'd ever consider is a 10.