New to this.. scared about joining a gym?!

Options
Hi everyone!!

I really love this site.. I've been here tracking food and eating right for a month or so and so far only lost about 3lbs, After deciding i REALLY needed a big lifestyle change and need to get in shape. I've never been so motivated before and I dont think ive ever stuck to any kind of diet or healthy eating for this long.

I never ever exercise but I do however REALLY want to join my local gym which is something i planned to do this weekend. I was just discussing this with a family member who said something to the effect of "as long as you remember you will probably feel quite self conscious" which has made me even more self conscious and now im starting to doubt joining ! :ohwell:

I'm just looking for advice and motivation as im sure there are many other people out there who have been in my position, Was it as scary and intimidating as you thought it would be??

Replies

• katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Don't feel self conscious! We aren't at the gym to stare at others. We are all there for the same reasons--to get fit, be healthy, feel good, etc...You won't regret doing it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    No it wasn't scary or intimidating, though I think that is a natural fear when you try anything new.

Everyone is there for themselves, and will be helpful to you if you ask. Just have fun with it, it's a great place!
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and as big as I am still go and do my workouts...(when I go- which isn't often enough)
    I really want to be inshape to do a cardio class. Zumba, but Im scared that Im so out of shape Ill pass out during the class...worse if it was just the warm up. So that is my goal,,,to get in shape to do a class...
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I reckon most people in the gym are just doing their own thing, many are in their own little world with their earphones in listening to music and probably won't even notice you! After you've been a couple of times you will get over that feeling. Go for it!! :o)
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    I am a bit silly this way for whatever reason I don't love the idea either. However, my husband is a regular at the gym and tells me there are all shapes and sizes working out and no one seems to look at any particular person as if they are from the moon!:)

One day I will join too but for now I really do enjoy working out at home. I bought an HRM and that has been the best investment I have ever made. We also live in a small town so a gym membership is insanely high, 55 per month even at a years contract.
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    Go for it don't worry about being self conscious think everyone there might have had the same feeling too. Just have to say that your there for you not for them. 3lb in a the first month is dang good. The goal is a lb a wk and your on target. If you feel strongly about being self conscious consider a friend and walk at the park instead I felt that way too and went and got a treadmill for my home use you can find them a dime a dozen. Good luck in your adventures.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is a gym i go to- i think its a "chain" and its called Planet Fittness. It advertises it self as a "Non judgemental Zone", and has "Lunk Alarms". There are very strict rules posted "if you are judging someone, or attract un-due attention to yourself by dropping weights, showing off, etc, you will be asked to leave". "This is a judgement free Zone". I belong there, I am not the only very overweight grey haired lady there "trying" to exercise. Its only $10 per month. Its the first gym i ever felt comfortable at, and ii have belonged to a few ( for short periods of time) over the last 30 years. If they have one near you, give it a try....
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm terrified about joining a gym. I don't want to be the fat, out of shape girl :(

Of course... joining a gym will help me to NOT be the fat, out of shape girl any longer.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I joined my local gym and they were so encouraging and motivating. Just put some music in your ears and go for it. Exercise makes losing weight so much easier and enjoyable I have dropped 52lbs in 5 months. I garentee if I can do it and get motivated anyone can. I wish you lots of good luck.

You can do it xxx
  • terryswade
    Options
    You don't have to join a gym. I do P90X in my home. You don't need a bunch of weights if you want to lose weight. Body exercise and some exercise bands. Search the web find something that's you AND DO IT! Good luck.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just gooooooo!!!! One thing you have to realize is that nearly everyone is self conscious, even the people we look at and think are perfect! Go every chance you get! Visualize yourself in a year looking great and laughing over how self conscious you used to be.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Honestly most people at the gym are so wrapped up in what they are doing, they probably wouldn't even notice you working out. Not saying its bad, but most people are squeezing in what little time they have by going to the gym, and want to just get in and get out. So seriously don't worry about it, your there for yourself and not for anyone else.
  • redoutlaw
    Options
    I joined the gym and was scared at first too, but you want to know what was funny? There were more people like me there than the ones that were fit and trim. Don't be self concious, love your body, you are there to make a change, don't let that get in the way! I have 60 lbs to go! And since going to the gym I am no longer concentrating on my weight, I love the way I feel, more energy, feel stronger and I walk taller! So you go girl!!! Show them you can do it, but mainly do it for yourself!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of different people who go to the gym, most are either too busy working out, talking on their cellphone, or reading books on the stationary bikes to pay attention to you.

Some morons will, though, and they will giggle to their friends and point if your hair scrunchie doesn't match your workout pants.

To those people, I put on my gameface and keep running, because they are not serious about their fitness and the people there who are, will see my effort and appreciate it.

But really, you go in "gameface"d and you don't give a crap what other people think, you work until you think you're going to die, and then you work a little more, then you leave, drenched and frizzy and stinky and accomplished.

Don't forget to sip water while you work, bring a towel, don't touch your face, and wash your hands regularly. Disinfect machines if you get them dirty. Have fun and challenge yourself.
  • alimauer
    alimauer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    honestly there is no reason to feel self concious. EVERYONE there is in the same boat as you and who cares what anybody thinks? people come ino all shapes and sizes to the gym and everybody is focused on their own personal workout, and so will you. Once you get into a routine and start doing it as part of your schedule you wont want to miss a day. I felt self concious literally for 5 minutes the first time I went and i have no idea why haha. The minute you step on to a machine or start doing your workout it all goes away and you are on a mission. No one there is going to look at you negatively if you are walking into a gym to better yor life!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I reckon most people in the gym are just doing their own thing, many are in their own little world with their earphones in listening to music and probably won't even notice you! After you've been a couple of times you will get over that feeling. Go for it!! :o)

I know this is me at the gym and probably about 90% of everyone else! Even if you are in a class everyone is concentrating on getting the moves right that no one has time to pay attention to what everyone else is doing (unless it's to see what we are doing wrong!). Once you get into a routine you won't feel self conscious:)
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. You don't have to do just what they are doing. I went a few times with my daughter and loved it. I did not do anything close to what they were doing but had a blast and a laugh. You would enjoy it. Some times I could just stand and wiggle and giggle but it was fun.
  • blsdhands
    blsdhands Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do not hesitate to join a gym because of what someone else has told you. The person who said you would be self-conscious is placing their insecurities on you -- DONT ACCEPT THEM! I previously weighed close to 300lbs and would not venture anywhere near a gym much less SPANDEX. Finally, a friend told me the people gym are trying to get in shape and so am I! Soooooo off I went! Now I dont care what anyone thinks, I work with a trainer and I am in the gym 5 days a week taking classes, working out alone, etc. I am now down to 192 and continuing on a downward spiral with my weight. Most importantly, I rarely notice the others in the gym except to develop friendships that keep me moving towards my goal. (Yes, I noticed a man today who grunted while working out as he tried to impress me with the amount of weight he could bench press -- all I could do was laugh and work through my reps!)
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I also agree with Terry, there are plenty of at home workouts to do. I've strictly worked out at home for two years and lost 75 pounds, so there are plenty of options, not just the gym,
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    DO NOT be self conscious! Everyone there really is in their own little world, focused on themselves, and there really are ALL shapes and sizes! And even if someone were to give you some kind of judgmental look (which I doubt, but there are mean people everywhere, lol) who cares?! Be proud of the fact that you're there, working to get more fit and healthy!