how much sodium should I be consuming daily?

Options
Hi, I don't think I eat allot of salt, but I see by looking at my tracking reports that I am consuming between 1000 and 2000 mg daily. Is that too much? I am a woman, 5 foot 4.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't think I eat allot of salt, but I see by looking at my tracking reports that I am consuming between 1000 and 2000 mg daily. Is that too much? I am a woman, 5 foot 4.
    Don't worry about it.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oficial RDA (recommended daily allowance) is 2,400mg, so MFP has set itself slightly lower than that - if you keep below 2000 you're doing wel:) You need some sodium to live!
  • royalstewart13
    Options
    You are doing GREAT with your sodium. I try to watch everything I eat, don't use salt at all and go over my sodium A LOT! I'd like to be where you are.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Oficial RDA (recommended daily allowance) is 2,400mg, so MFP has set itself slightly lower than that - if you keep below 2000 you're doing wel:) You need some sodium to live!
    RDA values are trash. They are suggested to the normal person. The normal person is overweight and unhealthy. As you workout, your sodium levels are much higher. I am tired of posting links about this. Do the research.
  • cgm58
    cgm58 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hope the rest of your day makes you less cranky :wink:
  • cgm58
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • cgm58
    Options
    Thanks for the info and the encouragement.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Tolerable upper level for daily intake for someone with no health issues is less than 2300 mg. Recommended adequate intake is for 1500 mg. A human only needs between 180-500 per day to survive, all the rest is more than what is needed.

If you are in a high risk group you are recommended to stay at or below the 1500 mg.

Check out http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsSodium/ for more information.