Confused On Changing Up Routine

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
Ok...I've read on this board so many times about how you shouldn't do the same routine...change it up, or your body will get used to it and (pretty much) not change.
So....if I decided to do 100 crunches every day for 3 months, my body wouldn't change?? I don't understand?? I've been doing the same routine at the gym for months and have seen results.

Im also confused on "targeting" certain areas. I believe it can be done. It may not work for every area of the body, but I think if you focus on one particular area for a while, it will work. I was determined to tone up my love handle/waist area. I do a TON of sidebends, crunches and leg lifts every day and have succeeded in losing inches in that area.

Maybe the difference in toning vs losing weight?? :huh:

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    Ok...I've read on this board so many times about how you shouldn't do the same routine...change it up, or your body will get used to it and (pretty much) not change.
    So....if I decided to do 100 crunches every day for 3 months, my body wouldn't change?? I don't understand?? I've been doing the same routine at the gym for months and have seen results.

Im also confused on "targeting" certain areas. I believe it can be done. It may not work for every area of the body, but I think if you focus on one particular area for a while, it will work. I was determined to tone up my love handle/waist area. I do a TON of sidebends, crunches and leg lifts every day and have succeeded in losing inches in that area.

Maybe the difference in toning vs losing weight?? :huh:
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    When people talk about not doing the same routine it's to prevent what they call a plateau. No one is ever saying doing 100 crunches everyday for 3 months isn't going to make a difference. It will, however after a while you will no longer see as much gains from doing the same 100 crunches everyday.

Targeting is referring to someone who weights 300lbs doing 100 crunches everyday and expecting 6 pack abs in 3 months. You can build muscle by targeting certain areas, however you can not control where you body burns fat. Everyone stores/ burns fat completely differently and there is no way to CONTROL what area loses or gains fat.
  • bbogart
    bbogart Posts: 113
    Options
    Exactly!!! You bet me to it, but I couldn't have said it better.
  • nikii14
    Options
    Ahh....I get it!! Thanks!

That explains the question of why I lost my "top"...even though I didn't have anything there to begin with:tongue: