Kettlebells

Options
I would like to purchase a Kettlebell. What is the best weight to start with.? I have not done this type of exercise before and am not what you would call very athletic or strong.

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ladies in my kickboxing class use 10/15 pounds largely. 10 for overhead work like push-press and windmills, 15 or 20 for swings, squats and such.

I personally started with 15-20 and now use 25-35 pound weights, still can't muscle a triceps extenuation with a 30 yet. *Grumble grumble*

ETA: A light weight and a heavy weight are good for adding variety to your workout. It's typically difficult for many women to do overhead work with the same weight they can comfortably do leg/explosive motions with. I know that I can foist 50 pounds (2 25 lb bells) over my head and hold it, but I don't look so steady and you really don't want to drop something or hurt yourself that way.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can buy the ones with adjustable weights I think gold gym brand... I do 15 lbs but I have a tailbone issues so I try to be very careful.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I saw some at Walmart that Jillian Michaels has her name on that are adjustable, no idea how they work, just glanced at them and thought they might be a place to start looking.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you order online from Walmart, there's a pretty good deal for a 10, 15 and 20 lbs set for $50. The 20 one is usually out of stock though so you just have to keep checking back if the bundle isn't available to order.

I'm pretty weak and the 10lbs one is good for me.