2 egg whites, beaten
2 tbsp. corn starch
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp ground dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
Pam olive oil cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste

Start by preheating your oven to 450F

In a pot of salted boiling water, blanche* green beans for 3-5 minutes, just until they turn bright green. Drain and dry beans on a paper towel. In a small bowl, mix panko, 1 tbsp. corn starch, and spices. I like to crush up the panko a little to make smaller crumbs for better coverage.

Put the whole wheat flour into a paper bag, and add your green beans. Crumple the top of the bag closed and shake to lightly coat each bean in flour. Now it's time to set up your breading station.

I use two large-but-shallow rectangular tupperware containers to reduce messiness. Pour egg whites into one, and your crumb mixture into the other. Have a baking pan standing by to put your finished 'fries' on. Tap each bean to shake off excess flour, then dunk in the egg whites. Let any excess egg drip off before dropping them into the crumbs. Don't try to do them all at once, do small batches of 5-6 beans at a time to keep things organized and neat. Finally, take your green beans out of the crumbs, gently tap to remove extra bits, and place on your baking tray. Make sure your beans have room between them or they will stick together in a big gross bready clump. Once your beans are all laid out, spray over the entire pan with a 5 second spritz of olive oil spray. Bake at 450F for 25 min or until desired level of crunchiness is reached.

You can adjust the spices in the recipe to reflect the flavors of your main dish, just use your imagination and be mindful of your portion sizes.

* To blanche your green beans: Drop trimmed beans into boiling salted water. Do not walk away. Let them cook for 3-5 minutes, just until they turn bright green. Keep a bowl of ice water nearby, and as soon as the beans change color, drain them and drop them immediately into the cold water to stop the cooking process. Let them soak in the ice water for 3-5 minutes, until they are cold to the touch, before draining.

Nutritional Info per serving(as calculated by MFP):
Cal 150, carb 27g, fat 1g, protein 7g

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! Sounds delicious!

Gotta try that!
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Got it thanks
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fried green beans are awesome!!! Thanks for the healthy recipe for eating yummy and guilt free!!
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just double checked, Friday's deep fried version is 190 cals for just 17 beans, and 9g of pure fat! You don't need that hanging off of you!!
  • blas00
    blas00 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you! These sound wonderful! I will have to give them a try this weekend..........:smile:
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I kept reading. "Green Beans over fries" ha ha I was like, where are the french fries in this recipe. LOL.

Anyway this recipe sounds delicious! So BUMP! :)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have to try these. The TGIFridays version is a must for me when I go but they are so bad for you.
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • e_NV_y
    e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i will need to try these!! thanks!! :)
  • amerrill1
    amerrill1 Posts: 38
    Options
    bump
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious!

Bump
  • jlo0812
    jlo0812 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yum, sounds delicious!!!!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Made them for dinner.

Verdict: Actually quite good. Crispy and crunchy!

mmmm

Thanks Jenny!

I would add a little more seasoning next time though... I like spicy and savory..
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Do you think that same recipe would work well with okra??

Bump
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you think that same recipe would work well with okra??

Bump

I've done it with zucchini before and it was good, so I don't see why not! I bet asparagus would be good, too.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    these sound great! bump
  • crystalgoede
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • Nbentz214