New here lookin for friends in similar situations

Options
My name is mel and i am looking for people in similar situations for friends and moral support, I am addicted to pop, Dr. Pepper to be exact. I will drink 2L a day, and thats a good day. I have tried quitting it many times and failed, I have quit cold turkey and i know that weight will come off as i replace the pop with the water, I know that if i try and change too many things at once that i will fail ( its kinda my ( M.O) I have caught myself in the last 48 hours starting to bite off more than i can chew. i am a single mom of three kids and most places i go I wear my 34 lb 3 yr old on my back... hoping that counts for something ! I love the food tracker but have decided that I am not going to get too caught up in it, atleast untill i can get my soda consumption under control. I plan to step it up in 30 days ( April 1st) exactly how i don't know but for now im workin on no soda, trying to make better food decisions, and more walking. In a perfect world i would like to loose 85 lbs but time will tell ,..i.. for now step one :) whoose with me ?

Replies

• brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can you do diet Dr. Pepper? Just an ideal! Good Luck!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I think you are smart to just focus on quitting the pop right now. That sounds like a big change given what you posted about how much you drank.

Personally I'd say skip pop altogether if you can (rather than changing to diet). Research tends to support the idea that diet soda is bad for people who are trying to lose weight (of course for some people it isn't a problem but given you addiction to the real stuff I'd say for you it might be). I LOVE coke zero and drank it every day (I usually limited myself to one can but I always wanted more) but eventually went cold turkey on it about 8 months ago. There's still times when I miss it but I'm happy to not be drinking it any more.
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if i drink diet then its only a matter of time till i go back for me its a really really slippery slope .... i do things to the extremes ( in this journey it has always led to failure) not to mention that i really dont like water )
  • marlanc92
    marlanc92 Posts: 11
    Options
    Well if you want to quit drinking soda altogether and like you said you don't like water, maybe you should try sparkling water. It's basically flavored water but is carbonated to fill your craving for soda. I drink them all the time and I don't miss soda at all(even though Mountain Dew was my drug). But some aren't as good as others and may cause you to relapse to soda again so I'd suggest going to WalMart and getting the Clear American brand...they taste the best and they have so many flavors. I hope that'll help you. I was struggling with the same problem as you are. Good Luck!!!:wink:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water is diet soda without dyes...
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    SODA STREAM!!!

That has been my LIFE SAVER!

I LOVED diet coke. Addicted! My husband bought a Soda Stream, which carbonates pure water. You can add whatever type of 'flavoring' you like.

We actually just add a bit of lemon or lime juice to the carbonated water. No artificial anythings! I haven't had soda in a few months now, just carbonated water.
  • ewier
    ewier Posts: 1
    Options
    I gave up soda(pop as you say) a little over a year ago. I was addicted in every meaning of the word. I tried for YEARS to give it up and never succeeded for very long. I finally figured out that it had to happen very slowly, not cold turkey. I started by not allowing myself to keep it in the house. Ever. I rewarded myself by having soda only when I went out to eat. I eventually was able to give up all dark soda and still allowed myself to drink clear sodas like sprite. I slowly wound down to carbonated waters (the flavored kind) and now all of my hard work has paid off. All I drink is water and I drink at least 8 glasses a day. It is remarkable what giving up soda will do for your body. I lost weight but gained confidence. My complexion is better, my nails grow long and strong and I just FEEL better than ever. Giving up sodas has given me so much more energy and I use that energy to exercise which leads to additional weight loss. You CAN do this!!!
  • jcnuebel
    jcnuebel Posts: 19
    Options
    Try buying the little cans instead of the 12 ounce cans. I have to have my Coke everyday. Buying the little cans has helped me cut way back. Good luck!
  • vazquezmaria
    Options
    I think thats so cool that you were able to give up the soda. I used to be addicted to soda and I havent had any in a very long time. If I were to drink soda it will upset my stomach same thing with fast food. Continue your journey and if you would like to be friends we can incourage eachother. keep up the great job
  • zebramama84
    Options
    I am drinking water with lemon and lime :) (im almost done my 3rd 27oz canteen of water) i quit once for a year when i was pregnant with my first child but it seems like everything else im all or nothing. and not having anyone in my life who understands what its like to be totally hooked :( but so far I LOVE this site :)
  • Peterlin13
    Options
    try different types of water. for example, Perrier or San Pellegrino (different types and levels of fizzy water); add fruit to your water (like lemon, berries.... a la expensive spas); ice water, room temperature water, hot water like real Asians.....

wish you the best :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem of drinking way to much pop. That is one of the first things I did was eliminate pop. I do still have the occasional pepsi. I have taken up drinking water with crystal light to go packs in my water to flavor it.
    I feel like I have that pretty much under control. Now, I am trying to eat healthier.
    Where are you from? Do you live in Pittsburgh or are you from Pittsburgh? Most people don't call soda pop in the United States. I live in Pittsburgh.
    Good luck in your journey. Feel free to add me!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Giving up pop is so terribly difficult, keep with it, you willbegin to crave water soon. Hubby and I gave up pop at the beginning of jan and haven't looked back. The first month or so was dreadful, but, I instinctively grab for water.

Good luck and here are some best wishes that you stick with it.
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    I used to drink quite a bit of soda on a daily basis. I started small at first, finding "healthier" soda's that (although high in sugar still) are made with natural flavors and sugars rather than high fructose corn syrup. It has helpful to me to find sodas that were less sweet since sugars make most people more thirsty and encourage us to drink more. I then realized that a major part of my draw to soda was that it can be kept very cold so it tastes very refreshing so I started keeping water in the fridge to grab instead of a soda when I was thirsty and wanted something cold.

I know it may not work for everyone but it's helped me get down from around 6 sodas a day to maybe 1-2 a week (mostly mixed with whiskey).
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are also carbonated juices called Izze's that you can buy at Target and sometimes Martin's. These are a little bit better then pop. Not sure if it would do the trick for you, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • zebramama84
    Options
    im actually canadian .... lol no target
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Have you tried that new Dr. Pepper 10. It tastes better than diet. Something I do when I get a soda now is I do 2/3 diet and 1/3 regular, so I still get a taste of the regular, but not as much sugar. Seriously, if I happen to drive through McD's while kids are in the car the workers think I am crazy when I order a large drink and ask for just the cup so that I can come in and fill it myself.
    Good luck. My mom was a single mom, I have a lot of respect for that, take care of yourself!!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am hooked on diet dr pepper or diet pepsi. I drink way too much. My sister who drinks regular soda started buying water with caffiene.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We seem to be in the same boat. Well, have been anyway :) I'm proud to say that I am no longer a Dr. Pepper addict, though I use it to cook with occasionally. I used to work at a warehouse club and it was on tap ALL DAY LONG. I don't even want to tell you how many 32 oz. drinks I consumed of that stuff. Then I got pregnant and decided I had to quit. I started doing one Dr. Pepper a day, one sweet tea and one water. The water was hard even though i like water I think it was the lack of the sugar that made it so hard. Finally I cut out the Dr. Pepper and made it a date night treat with my daughter's father. Then I was on 2 half cut sweet teas a day and water. Finally got down to all water around 5 months. I did great at keeping it only water for about a year and then, I got hooked again. But I noticed I didn't like how I felt, so I went back to cutting down. Now, I get it once a week when i go through a drive thru or something, but I feel you on how hard it is to stop! I liken it to crack lol Go small. Instead of having a 2L around the house get cans and only put 2 or 3 in the fridge at a time (because warm Dr. P is nasty hahaha). Take an empty 2L bottle and fill it with water and make that your goal. Heck, write on the bottle in magic marker a phrase that motivates you. For me it would be something like "I'm stronger than this" Or "I love my kidneys" But it does take small steps! Feel free to add me!
  • kpharbs
    kpharbs Posts: 1
    Options
    My allergy doctor recommended I stop drinking diet drinks all-together. I started grabbing one from time to time and started drinking more and more. For Lent, I gave them up again. Allergies are better-- again and I'm losing weight. Go figure!