Weight gain history

Options
So I went back and viewed my weight loss or weight gain I should say since I started at this site in 2010. I was shocked by the numbers I saw. There was a gain of ten pounds in twelve days and more then once a gain of five pounds in 1-2 days. Has anyone else had this issue. It just seems very strange to me to have such a big gain in that little amount of time!

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    On the same scale, wearing the same clothes, at the same time of day, with the same things (or lack of things) in your stomach, and the same amount of waste in your bladder and colon? Each of those things could contribute a pound or two in variation and taken together could easily add up to five pounds or even ten.
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hope this is not too much information but I always weigh in the mornings before breakfast, without clothes, right after voiding so I am at my lowest possible weight lol. And then ten pound gain stayed that way I just added onto it. If it were just water weight or other things I would not have been 10 pounds lighter just one day.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Sounds like you limited the normal sources of measurement variability. I don't know what could have been going on.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of variability in my weight as well, not quite as much as 10 lbs but I can sympathize. I am not sure what causes it...?
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have had 7 # in one day but it was water weight.. So hard to say
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have gained an unfathomable amount in week... But then other weeks I can eat loads and loads and stay the same!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is the scale. If my scale gets moved or bumped it will give a totally different wt and I can get off and on the scale 3 or 4 times in the morning and get different weights. Granted a 10 lb difference is a lot but if you are using a digital scale results can be variable.
  • lostinureyes17
    lostinureyes17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this! Maybe it is time for a new scale!
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    Let me know if you find an accurate one that does not cost 200.00. I have read the reviews for most of them on Amazon and they all seem to have the same problems.
  • treetop57
    Options
    No scale is accurate unless it's on a hard surface. I'd guess a lot of the complains on Amazon are because people try to use them on carpeting.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs in 6 months. I think that is ridiculousy fast. It is what brought me to MFP.
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I just bought a Weight Watchers glass body analysis scale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $30 and I love it. It doesn't waiver when you get on, you can look at more than just weight, and it looks nice too.
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    I just bought a Weight Watchers glass body analysis scale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $30 and I love it. It doesn't waiver when you get on, you can look at more than just weight, and it looks nice too.

That is the same scale I have. It is nice to look at but it is definitely not accurate.
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    No scale is accurate unless it's on a hard surface. I'd guess a lot of the complains on Amazon are because people try to use them on carpeting.

But even if you use them on carpeting they should be consistent even though not totally accurate. Yes?
  • treetop57
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. The springiness of the pile would depend on many unpredictable and variable factors.
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    Hmmm. My scale sits on a rug that is very thin and no padding. Rug is on a hardwood floor. Don't really have any place to put the scale that is totally on the hardwood so I have always used it on the rug but as I said it can't be more 1/8" thick. Do you think that will make that much of a difference.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I'd take it outside on the sidewalk one time to see. Thin with no pad may be just fine.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I get a 7 lb difference between carpet and hard floor with the carpet reading higher. Unfortunately the carpet exactly matches the my doctor's scale, so on the carpet it goes.
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    I'd take it outside on the sidewalk one time to see. Thin with no pad may be just fine.

Thanks for the input. May try to find a corner where there is hardwood that isn't in a dark closet.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Kitchen?:smile:

Thanks for the input. May try to find a corner where there is hardwood that isn't in a dark closet.