Do you underestimate or overestimate your food?

Options
2»

Replies

• privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    From personal experience over several months of dieting now, it is clear I OVERestimate my food quantities.

This first came to my attention when my husband asked me what I was having for lunch. I'd already started a weight loss regimen , including keeping a food diary, after I developed a metabolic problem which led to weight gain.

I told him, "...One cup of lentil soup." It was the same amount I always pour, being one of my favourite meals, so I eat it semi-frequently.

He snorted back, "There's no way that's a cup of soup!" I was sure it was, so I proved it to him by pouring it into a measuring cup. Lo and behold...a half a cup. If my life depended on it, I would have promised you it was 1 cup.

There are lots of other examples I could give. Then again, an old friend once told me, after I gave him detailed directions to someplace and he later went there, "You're the only person I know who overestimates how long it takes to get somewhere." So, it comes to me honestly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I aim for getting as close as possible. This is easy enough when preparing my own food. When eating out, it's pure voodoo. I don't really go for the highest cal or lowest cal entry... i skim through and try to find the one that seems most believable. Or I close my eyes and invoke my special calorie estimation-fu and quick-add it.