Need new Lunch Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do you like hummus? There's lots of flavors and it's a nice flavor change on a sandwich instead of mayo. Hard boiled egg? Cold salmon , laughing cow cheese, veggie wrap. Maybe lox, tomato, lite cream cheese on a bagel.

Never tried Hummus. Is it high protein? I have no aversion to fat, need to fit 20 grams into my lunch. Mayo has been the easiest way to get it into a sandwich and I like mayo. What is Lox? Isn't that pickled ham or something?

I guess what I should have asked for was High protein lunch ideas. The reason I was eating the cottage cheese was for the protein. When I was hitting my protein with just meat, my sandwich was almost 4 inches tall! LOL.
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    I think I readbout someone 'creaming' soft tofu for shakes and sauces - maybe that'd work in a (chicken, tuna or egg) salad dressing instead of mayo?

Awesome idea. I generally try to stay away from soy products but that could also be done with some other protein source to act as the "glue" for my sammies like this.
    Mash up white beans with avocado and spread it on a flat out LIGHT wrap, fill with some veggies and it's so good and satisfying!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Do you like salmon? I make salmon patties, baked in the oven. They are better hot, but definitely something you could eat cold. Can be prepared the night before.
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    Love salmon. I could make patties that fill out all my macros and bake them. Awesome idea. Thanks.

What do you put in yours?
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I make a curry chicken salad I eat with raw spinach that would fit your macro requirements:

Rotisserie Chicken - skin removed, chopped (or two pounds chicken breast, chopped)
    Light Sour Cream, 3/4 cup
    Light Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
    Celery - 3 stalks, chopped small
    Carrots - 3, chopped small
    Onions - 2 tbsp, chopped small
    Raisins - small box, 10 grams, chopped
    Curry powder - 2 tbsp
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad and egg salad are options. I won't eat stevia and only eat fruit after my workout. I also don't eat salads so nothing to change up. Celery...BLEH!

I will do some math on the Tuna and Egg salad sandwiches Not sure how well they would hold together with only 1 serving of Mayo. I have been known to eat tuna plain though so that is a good option.
    What about mustard? like 0 calories and a lot of flavor. I learned to eat tuna, sliced tomatoes and dijon mustard in France as a teenager. Still yummy today.
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    I make a curry chicken salad I eat with raw spinach that would fit your macro requirements:

Rotisserie Chicken - skin removed, chopped (or two pounds chicken breast, chopped)
    Curry powder - 2 tbsp

I assume all of this is mixed together like a chicken salad. Do you put it in/on something or just eat it with a fork?
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    Tuna salad and egg salad are options. I won't eat stevia and only eat fruit after my workout. I also don't eat salads so nothing to change up. Celery...BLEH!

I will do some math on the Tuna and Egg salad sandwiches Not sure how well they would hold together with only 1 serving of Mayo. I have been known to eat tuna plain though so that is a good option.
    What about mustard? like 0 calories and a lot of flavor. I learned to eat tuna, sliced tomatoes and dijon mustard in France as a teenager. Still yummy today.

Mustard with egg salad I could do, kinda like a deviled egg salad. Not sure about mustard with tuna though. have to try that one. Both would work great as more glue to hold sammies together.
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will make a few egg/tuna salad sammies and maybe a batch or two of the salmon patties.
  • 0RESET0
    Options
    OK, did a little research. A Salmon pattie consists of three main ingredients. Salmon, Eggs and Bread crumbs.
    I am no cook so I need some informed opinions. If I use 2 cans of Salmon, 1 egg and 28 grams of bread crumbs would I get a pattie or a mess?
    The macros would be 20, 15, 50 so that would be pretty close to perfect. I could add a little evoo or garlic oil to up the fat maybe a little sugar to up the carbs. What do you think?
  • ashley67203
    Options

Curry powder - 2 tbsp

I assume all of this is mixed together like a chicken salad. Do you put it in/on something or just eat it with a fork?

Yep, just like chicken salad. I layer it in a bowl with handfuls of spinach and eat it with a fork. My husband likes to eat it on low carb tortillas like little burritos.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    OK, did a little research. A Salmon pattie consists of three main ingredients. Salmon, Eggs and Bread crumbs.
    I am no cook so I need some informed opinions. If I use 2 cans of Salmon, 1 egg and 28 grams of bread crumbs would I get a pattie or a mess?
    The macros would be 20, 15, 50 so that would be pretty close to perfect. I could add a little evoo or garlic oil to up the fat maybe a little sugar to up the carbs. What do you think?

the recipes i am seeing call for 1 egg for every 7-8oz of salmon and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
    I haven't made salmon patties yet. So I can't speak from experience.
    your suggestion should work, but you'd be looking at something more like salmon burgers. (i usually add 1 egg and 1-2 tbsp breadcrumbs or flour to however much ground beef i am using at the time)
    You might try and experiment with a bit more breadcrumbs, and maybe an extra egg white...
    worst case scenario - the patties are going to crumble and fall apart - it doesn't influence the flavour all that much ;-)