Excited to start my weight loss journey...

Options
domsmoms
domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
I'm so happy I found this app for my Kindle Fire. However, I downloaded it a while ago and just let it sit there.

This morning, I went to the doctor and got a rude awakening when I was weighed. I haven't owned a scale in a long time because "I could tell if I was too fat by my clothes not fitting" - I didn't want to be bothered with a number. I was horrified to discover that I am now 10 pounds over my heaviest ever weight... which was the result of gaining 40 pounds while pregnant. So there was at least some reason for that weight gain, although it was still an excessive amount to gain for a pregnancy with a single child.

Since my "baby" is now almost five years old, this is pretty bad. I'm looking forward to dropping weight for my health, so I can be around with my family a long time. Looking better will be nice too, but is just secondary.

I've never been one to diet and I don't really believe that "dieting" works. I do believe that eating more healthily, eating less, and exercising does work. It's not a magic bullet, just common sense. It may not be a fast process, but I'm hoping I can lose a pound a week. It took me about 15 years to gain 75 pounds too much - it crept up on me. So if it takes a year or two to take it off, that's fine. I can wait.

Today is my first day using the calorie counter... "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." In my case that would be a journey of 75 pounds begins with one day, staying within my calories.

Replies

• jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have to say MFP has been such a great tool for me. It has helped keep me motivated and on track. My friends are also a great support system and keep me accountable.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm definitely hoping to find some support online because I don't have many close friends around me; and only one long-distance one I even feel comfortable talking about this with! At this point I'd be so ashamed for my old friends I haven't seen in years to see me. For this reason I don't post any pics on Facebook. I might get brave and put one on here though... for inspiration to lose weight.