Just how important is fiber, anyway?

Options
stillkristi
stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
Hi everyone, I have two questions, one I am wondering about the function of fiber in my overall health and weight loss plan. I understand fiber in a general way, but would like to know more. For example, I understand fiber's function in elimination. My second question is what are some good sources of fiber besides whole wheat? Thanks experts! :happy:

Replies

• stillkristi
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have two questions, one I am wondering about the function of fiber in my overall health and weight loss plan. I understand fiber in a general way, but would like to know more. For example, I understand fiber's function in elimination. My second question is what are some good sources of fiber besides whole wheat? Thanks experts! :happy:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    good sources.......raw fruits and veggies and legumes:flowerforyou:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Studies have found that diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol and high in fiber are associated with a reduced risk of certain cancers, diabetes, digestive disorders, and heart disease. However, since high-fiber foods may also contain antioxidant vitamins, phytochemicals, and other substances that may offer protection against these diseases.

•Whole grains (bran has the highest fiber content); this includes breads and cereals, whole-grain pastas, and brown rice

•Nuts and seeds

•Legumes (such as dried peas, beans, lentils)

•Fruits

•Vegetables

•A dietary supplement of fiber products such as Citrucel or Metamucil, which are mixed with water and provide about 4 to 6 grams of fiber in each 8-ounce glass
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I had posted this article on carbs earlier...and there is a good section on why fiber is so important! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/51186-good-carbs-bad-carbs-why-carbohydrates-matter-to-you
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Thanks, gals! I am off to check on the link you provided, Tam. Japs4, or anyone have an opinion about the relative benefits of a product like metamucil versus natural fiber?
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I can tell you that I usually get the twice the amount of fiber that MFP suggests just with a diet of LOTS of raw veggies and two fruits a day. I make sure that I eat whole grain anytime it is available and I cook with lots of different types of beans. I love black beans. I have never found a need to take a fiber supplement and (tmi) I am very regular.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Thanks, katie - I need to develop a love for beans. Lately, I have been trying lentils as a snack. You soak them so they are ready to cook, and then eat tham raw. Very tasty, and a nice crunch! I've been eating them just a bite or two at a time. I prolly should eat them more often.

And, congrats on being a regular gal! :wink:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Looking good in your new av stillkristi! :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Thanks, Mir! This exercise business sure cuts into my crusing the message board time, however! :wink:

And speaking of exercise - myasteme, I just looked at your ticker. WOW!!! You've lost something like 20 lbs this month, right? Good job!!! And thanks for the tip!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I've had 15 g of fiber so far today. Will fill my quota of at least 25 with an afternoon snack and dinner! :wink: