Treadmills - can't stay on them!

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking to lose some weight and generally get into shape. More specifically, I want to lose my belly fat.

I've decided to run a bit on the treadmill, but for some reason I just can't seem to stay on it for longer than three minutes! I get so tired and sweaty and I just want to hop off. I can do about 30 continuous minutes of aerobics and pilates, so what's up woth my inability to work out on a treadmill? Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Cheers

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How fast are you trying to go? Maybe try slowing down.
  • aidanadia
    Options

I usually run at about a 6-6.5 speed. Anything slower than that I find is pretty annoying.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I usually run at about a 6-6.5 speed. Anything slower than that I find is pretty annoying.

I'd slow down so that you can build up your endurance.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i started out only doing a couple of minutes on the treadmill, about a month and a half ago...and now i usually do 45 minutes to an hour. i used to hate them, they scared me because i had only used a manual one and the fact that the automatic ones constantly move really bothered me. But now i'm good with it, just do a little bit each day...try to do an extra minute every day you use one. it helps.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I can do workout DVDs, all kinds of cardio, walk at a fast pace all day long, but running is a whole different thing! I started the c25k program about 5 weeks ago and it's working great for me! I don't run on a treadmill, but you can do the program either way. It eases you into running with walking & jogging intervals, increasing the jogging each week. Look it up - tons of programs & phone apps for it, maybe that will help.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If it has programs, try an incline program (hill program). It should go back and forth from level to a certain % incline. This way you get your heart rate up from 'climbing' and then your heart rate goes back to rest with the level walking...etc etc. By doing this, you should burn good calories! Plus it beats the boredom. For more of a sweat, try incorporating ankle weights. Just make sure you're not cheating yourself and holding onto the treadmill when doing your workout.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I can stay on the tredmill all day. I'm the same way with the elliptical though. I can only do a few minutes at a time before I feel like I'm dying.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's a personal problem. Annoying to run slower than a pace where you can only continue for 3 minutes? It doesn't make sense. Slow your pace to where your heart rate is 70% of it's max. It's going to take you roughly 8 - 10 minutes for your heart rate to settle into a consistent zone.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intervals? Fast, slow, fast slow?

Depending on how long you go, your bodys gonna use different energy stores. Some max out around 2 mins, and you rely heavily on others.

http://www.cwu.edu/~acquisto/energy.htm

For what you're after, short workouts and bursts aren't gonna benefit you as much as longer, sustained workouts. (unless you start intervals).

energy.gif

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I put on a Jane Austen movie and (mostly) walk for 2 hrs at 3-3.5 5 or 6 days a week. The treadmill bores the heck out of me, but the tv distracts me enough to make it bearable till I get lost in it.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I can second C25K. I used to horseback ride competitively, and I could do 2 solid hours, plus barn chores hauling 5 gallon buckets of water and wheelbarrows full of manure and carry 30 lb saddles with no problem. But I could only run about 2 minutes at a stretch. C25K slowly built me up to where I was running 30 minutes straight.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Install a Couch to 5K app on your smartphone or iPod if you have one or look up the structure of the program and follow it. It's running and walking intervals for 20 - 25 mins that start with running only 1 minute at a time then gradually ramps it up.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think you probably need to decrease your speed and slowly work your way up. Getting on and expecting to be able to run at 6-6.5 would explain why you're only able to do it for a couple minutes.

And saying that slower paces "annoy" you? I don't quite understand that.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I put on a Jane Austen movie and (mostly) walk for 2 hrs at 3-3.5 5 or 6 days a week. The treadmill bores the heck out of me, but the tv distracts me enough to make it bearable till I get lost in it.

Same here--I'm working my way through Friends on DVD.

I also have a tendency to get bored with the same speed, so I go up and down as a challenge to myself. I can now do an hour at a time, at a consistent speed. As I start to get bored with this, I'll beef up the incline or the speed again.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    umm, just don't run sweetie. walk fast at like 3mph-4mph or at a high incline, your heart rate will be up, and your butt will look awesome, lol

and listen to music while you workout, trust me, you're burning calories all the same
  • Mershon88
    Mershon88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're not cheating yourself and holding onto the treadmill when doing your workout.

I have to have my hands on the side bars... my balance is crap.. I will walk/jog right off the side if I let go. LOL
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    bump
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm looking to lose some weight and generally get into shape. More specifically, I want to lose my belly fat.

I've decided to run a bit on the treadmill, but for some reason I just can't seem to stay on it for longer than three minutes! I get so tired and sweaty and I just want to hop off. I can do about 30 continuous minutes of aerobics and pilates, so what's up woth my inability to work out on a treadmill? Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Cheers

i use a treadmill every morning. i set it to a specific program that allows me warm up, endurance, cardio, and cool down. the highest incline goes to 9 and the speed high is 4. starting out for me i dont run due to a back injury, but been doing the treadmill for 2 straight weeks and have lost not only 6lbs but inches as well. then after that i do my strength training. turn up the tunes on t.v. and just go with the flow. and definitely get a sweat out of it and feel great afterwards. good luck with your journey.
  • ninja85
    ninja85 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have to have really good music. I need something catchy and upbeat and the faster the song the faster i run. I'm very competitive so I choose a couple of people near me and set goals, typically to run faster than one and stay a few minutes longer than the other, not only do i get a great workout but i feel a sense of accomplishment. weird i know, but that's how my brain is programmed.
  • aidanadia
    Options
    Hi all,

When I say that running at a speed less than 6 "annoys" me, I mean that I just find it a little too slow. I usually walk at a brisk pace on a 4.5-5 setting. Perhaps I could afford to slow down though.

The C25K sounds really good, actually, and I think I might start that. How often are you supposed to do it a week though? 3 days/week?