Fabulous fiber

Options
Here is an article from USAweek.com

Fabulous fiber
There are multiple health benefits of both soluble and insoluble roughage.
For years now, we've heard about the benefits of fiber. I remember as a kid watching my mother unpack high-fiber cereal from the grocery bag, wondering why in the world someone would eat it. It didn't have much taste and seemed really unappealing. Today I understand because of my education and my experience with aging. I appreciate how much better I feel when I include the right amount of fiber in my diet. But what is it about fiber that's so healthy? Let's explore.

A daily bowl of oatmeal is a great way to add fiber to your diet.
Fiber, simply stated, is a type of carbohydrate that the body cannot digest. Sometimes referred to as roughage, fiber falls into two basic categories: soluble (can partially dissolve in water) and insoluble (can't dissolve in water). Sources of soluble fiber include oats, beans, lentils and certain fruits (the flesh of apples and pears are good examples). Sources of insoluble fiber include grains such as wheat cereals (whole grains contain the most insoluble fiber), as well as fruit skins and vegetables, like dark leafy greens, asparagus and celery.

The health benefits of fiber are fairly specific: Just remember the two C's and two D's:

Cardiac. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease is the No. 1 killer of American men and women. A diet high in fiber can lower cholesterol and help maintain an appropriate weight, both important in combating heart disease.

Nine in 10 of us don't get the recommended 32 grams of fiber in our diet.

Constipation. Those who suffer from chronic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome know how much it affects the quality of life. As we age, we tend to develop bowel problems (and existing ones get worse), but using fiber to regulate the gastrointestinal system can improve the situation.

Diabetes. Many don't realize that a diet high in fiber can help to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease. With the prevalence of diabetes on the rise, focusing on appropriate amounts of fiber intake may improve your odds.

Diverticulitis. This funny-sounding condition is no laughing matter. Diverticula are small pouches that form along the lining of the colon. When food gets stuck in one, inflammation occurs that can lead to painful and sometimes dangerous abdominal symptoms. Fiber helps by keeping food moving through the digestive system, rather than lingering along the way.

So how much fiber is necessary for good health? According to the National Fiber Council, aim for 32 grams of fiber each day.

Unfortunately, it's been estimated that 90% of us don't get that amount. But making fiber a more prominent feature of our diet is worth the effort, given all of its health benefits. The fact that we're not dietitians shouldn't dissuade us. Quaker Oatmeal has a nice tool for helping us achieve our daily fiber goal, called the Whole Grain Pantry Checklist. This is a simple visual aid for keeping your cupboard stocked with high-fiber foods. See the checklist online at QuakerOatmeal.com.

Take some time to check it out. Getting more roughage on a daily basis can make you healthier and happier.

Contributing Editor Tedd Mitchell, M.D., presidentof Dallas' Cooper Clinic, writes HealthSmart every week.

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from USAweek.com

Fabulous fiber
    There are multiple health benefits of both soluble and insoluble roughage.
    For years now, we've heard about the benefits of fiber. I remember as a kid watching my mother unpack high-fiber cereal from the grocery bag, wondering why in the world someone would eat it. It didn't have much taste and seemed really unappealing. Today I understand because of my education and my experience with aging. I appreciate how much better I feel when I include the right amount of fiber in my diet. But what is it about fiber that's so healthy? Let's explore.

A daily bowl of oatmeal is a great way to add fiber to your diet.
    Fiber, simply stated, is a type of carbohydrate that the body cannot digest. Sometimes referred to as roughage, fiber falls into two basic categories: soluble (can partially dissolve in water) and insoluble (can't dissolve in water). Sources of soluble fiber include oats, beans, lentils and certain fruits (the flesh of apples and pears are good examples). Sources of insoluble fiber include grains such as wheat cereals (whole grains contain the most insoluble fiber), as well as fruit skins and vegetables, like dark leafy greens, asparagus and celery.

The health benefits of fiber are fairly specific: Just remember the two C's and two D's:

Cardiac. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease is the No. 1 killer of American men and women. A diet high in fiber can lower cholesterol and help maintain an appropriate weight, both important in combating heart disease.

Nine in 10 of us don't get the recommended 32 grams of fiber in our diet.

Constipation. Those who suffer from chronic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome know how much it affects the quality of life. As we age, we tend to develop bowel problems (and existing ones get worse), but using fiber to regulate the gastrointestinal system can improve the situation.

Diabetes. Many don't realize that a diet high in fiber can help to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease. With the prevalence of diabetes on the rise, focusing on appropriate amounts of fiber intake may improve your odds.

Diverticulitis. This funny-sounding condition is no laughing matter. Diverticula are small pouches that form along the lining of the colon. When food gets stuck in one, inflammation occurs that can lead to painful and sometimes dangerous abdominal symptoms. Fiber helps by keeping food moving through the digestive system, rather than lingering along the way.

So how much fiber is necessary for good health? According to the National Fiber Council, aim for 32 grams of fiber each day.

Unfortunately, it's been estimated that 90% of us don't get that amount. But making fiber a more prominent feature of our diet is worth the effort, given all of its health benefits. The fact that we're not dietitians shouldn't dissuade us. Quaker Oatmeal has a nice tool for helping us achieve our daily fiber goal, called the Whole Grain Pantry Checklist. This is a simple visual aid for keeping your cupboard stocked with high-fiber foods. See the checklist online at QuakerOatmeal.com.

Take some time to check it out. Getting more roughage on a daily basis can make you healthier and happier.

Contributing Editor Tedd Mitchell, M.D., presidentof Dallas' Cooper Clinic, writes HealthSmart every week.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If 32 g of fibre is recommended....how come MFP says I only need 18. If I just ate that, I would not be a regular girl!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    Very informative.. Thanks. I have recently been focusing on increasing my daily fiber intake and that's actually about how much I have been consuming per day. It really does make a difference in how you feel!!!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If 32 g of fibre is recommended....how come MFP says I only need 18. If I just ate that, I would not be a regular girl!

I believe MFP uses the FDA reccomended amount of fibre, which is too low IMHO.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options

The amount you need is tied to the number of calories you eat in a day. For healthy adults, the USDA recommends 14 grams of fi ber for every 1,000 calories consumed. So a person eating 2,000 calories a day should aim to get 28 grams of fiber daily. In “food” terms, you could hit (and even exceed) that target by eating the following foods over the course of a day: ½ cup oatmeal (3 grams fiber), 1 small banana (3 grams), ½ cup cooked red or black beans (7 grams), 1 small apple (5 grams), ½ cup lentils (8 grams), and ½ cup blueberries (3 grams).
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/ask/13

There is no RDA for fiber, but the
    American Dietetic Association recommends
    eating 20-35 grams of dietary fiber from a
    variety of food sources every day.
    http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:O-h7ex0ayx8J:wellness.uwsp.edu/medinfo/handouts/las/fiber.pdf+how+much+fiber?&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    33 grams .. woohoo!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Today, I bought La Tortilla Factory brand Low Carb, High Fiber tortillas. 80 calories, 18 carbs, and a whopping 12 g of fiber!!! :love: