Excess Sugar Question ?

Options
I noticed that that Daily Amount of Sugar seems pretty low, 36 i think. In the AM i usually only have a cup of Kashi Go Lean Cereal, a cup of skim milk and a protein shake, with another cup of skim milk. The milk is 12 grams of sugar the shake is 1 gram and the cereal is 12 grams. Thats already 37 Grams of Sugar .. is my goal off or is that really all your supposed to have in a day ? I usually have a shake after my workout which would be another 13 grams ... I just feel somethings not right here. Thats not even including any of the foods that have sugar in them. Should I be avoiding Milk ? or is my goal low? Any info anybody could give would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit tracking sugar on here because it is always over. I hardly ever eat candy/chocolate or stuff like that, most of mine was from fresh fruit. I switched to calcium, figured that is something i need to worry more about.
  • drpope83
    drpope83 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was thinking about Hiding it .. but I know sugar really isnt that good for you .. im curious to know if this little amount from the milk is actually doing me harm or if its just a little "Jay Walking"
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I tried tracking sugar once...I think I lasted 3 days...I honestly have NO idea how anyone can keep under the recommended amount on here! Basically if I were to have an apple I'm almost over...It makes NO sense to me at all! I quit tracking it because I just think it's ridiculous. Even the days I have that are just purely clean eating, I go over...Eff you sugar, eff you!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugar. As long as you are eating a varied, well balanced diet you're doing great. Always recommended of course is to avoid adding refined sugar to anything you eat. That includes bought goods that contain refined sugars as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    ....the tool here doesn't differentiate between naturally occurring sugars and added sugars, and it's a little annoying. The sugars in milk and fruit are not really a huge problem unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugars..(like Diabetes).

Sugar is tracked by default on the "Printable Version" of your food diary, so you could track something else on the entry page that you have to look at all the time, and just toggle to the printable for a quick check.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been under on my sugar, even though on certain days I hardly eat any carbs, junk, or fruit. I gave up on it.
  • drpope83
    Options
    I agree with the F U Sugar lol
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I never count dairy sugar or fruit sugar against myself. I try (hah!) to keep the amounts of *refined* sugar under control though. Naturally occuring sugar is fine as far as I know, its the added sugar thats the issue.
  • drpope83
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys .. i think ill just keep avoiding the sweets as usual and hide the sugar tab .. cholesterol seems like a good alternative to track
  • capturingsmiles
    Options
    I am with everyone else, I am mainly all Atkins & supplement protein shakes. I am always over by a small amount!
    I quit looking at it!
    022412 Posts: 11
    Options
    .. cholesterol seems like a good alternative to track

No~
    http://www.goodforyou.com.sg/wordpress/?p=943

Just look at the big picture.
    In this case, calories and food quality :)

Btw we need cholesterol for our brains
    Avoid cholesterol if you're afraid of zombies though
    Cholesterol is what makes it tasty, you know