"but you look fine!" "don't get too crazy!" "remember to eat

Options
No, you guys. See these veggies? See this full fat yogurt?
I am not on a fad diet.
I am not restricting my calories.
I am *counting* them. I am *making note* of what the heck I am putting in my body.
I am getting a healthy amount of exercise every day and keeping track of how much that is.

Why is that so unsettling?

Replies

• DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of times dieting makes the people around you uncomfortable so they project their own insecurity onto you and attack it.
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing from my mom. She calls me anorexic! It can be frustrating and hurtful to have people act this way when you have made a positive change in your life. Sometimes, these people are just jealous of our success! Good luck!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing from my mom. She calls me anorexic! It can be frustrating and hurtful to have people act this way when you have made a positive change in your life. Sometimes, these people are just jealous of our success! Good luck!

I've also received "don't become anorexic!" It is VERY hurtful and VERY misinformed. But i'm not going to let it make me fall short of my own goals! Good luck to you to, btw that dress looks fantastic on you!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,904 Member
    Options
    Give the people who love you a break. Remember, they love the body you hate a lot more than you do.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I find that a lot of times dieting makes the people around you uncomfortable so they project their own insecurity onto you and attack it.
    This ^^^ human nature.
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I've also received "don't become anorexic!" It is VERY hurtful and VERY misinformed. But i'm not going to let it make me fall short of my own goals! Good luck to you to, btw that dress looks fantastic on you!

my best friends have decided that i definitely AM anorexic and that they cant deal with it so they have decided to not be friends with me till i get it sorted out!! :(
  • Skinny_Beans
    Options

my best friends have decided that i definitely AM anorexic and that they cant deal with it so they have decided to not be friends with me till i get it sorted out!! :(

Those aren't friends, dear :/
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    This is the reason I joined MFP in the first place. Support. I need like minded people who understand what I am trying to do and can be a shoulder to cry on if I come up short. To those who don't understand or who can't get over their own insecurities...long walk, short pier.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    At my job, I receive constant comments regarding how I refuse to eat cake, pies, candy, etc. My place of employment always have a reason to celebrate something with fattening food. People are aware that I have made a major lifestyle change and yet still my food choices strange. I often play it off but there are moments when I feel self conscious about it.

Nonetheless, I refuse to let the opinions of others dictate my life choices.

:smile:

8488541.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Nicely said.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Options
    At my job, I receive constant comments regarding how I refuse to eat cake, pies, candy, etc. My place of employment always have a reason to celebrate something with fattening food. People are aware that I have made a major lifestyle change and yet still my food choices strange. I often play it off but there are moments when I feel self conscious about it.

Nonetheless, I refuse to let the opinions of others dictate my life choices.

:smile:

8488541.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Work is the worst! Everyone is so used to junk food as a reward they become utterly confused when you don't want to eat pure sugar. You look awesome though :3
  • cathryn42dogs
    Options
    What is it with people. I said I wanted to loose 2 stone which will bring me to my ideal weight and all I have is "Don't be silly" or "you'll be skin and bone" and "That weight won't suit you!" Arghhhhhhh:grumble:
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No, you guys. See these veggies? See this full fat yogurt?
    I am not on a fad diet.
    I am not restricting my calories.
    I am *counting* them. I am *making note* of what the heck I am putting in my body.
    I am getting a healthy amount of exercise every day and keeping track of how much that is.

Why is that so unsettling?

Love this! I was thinking the same thing earlier! :) Nicely put! :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    The only person who does this to me is my mother-in-law... not surprising at all.

Anyway, do your thing... don't let what people say bother you one bit. It's your body, your life.
  • jenhowse1
    jenhowse1 Posts: 49
    Options
    I got told the other day not to take it too far by the women I share my office with. She was concerned I getting too thin and not eating enough despite the fast that I'm often at my desk munching through a bag of veg/fruit/meat/nuts! We had discussed what we ate as she was trying to lose some weight.

My general day
    Breakfast - scrambled egg/omelette + spinach and mushrooms, plus some nuts some times
    Lunch - salad or raw veg (one or two tupperware tubs) plus some meat - either chicken breast, tin of tuna or mackerel
    Dinner - some meat, plate full of veg and sweet potato
    Plus some handfuls of nuts or spoonfuls of nutbutter plus some berries as a snack

Her normal day
    Breakfast - instant porridge
    Lunch - instant porridge
    Dinner - tin of soup

Apparently I'm the one that may have an problem with my food!
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Exactly! & thanks about the dress. I reached my Valentine goal and rocked a red dress! lol! Great topic. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
  • luvlyjanny
    luvlyjanny Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Those aren't friends, dear :/

i have since realised this :( spent the best part of my uni years with them and now i find out they are not for really its just great lol i am now just going to enjoy my weight loss and hope i find good real friends someday
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue all the time and especially because my goal weight is slightly lower than what most people would aim for! I've stopped mentioning it to friends because all I get is 'oh that's way too low' 'you're going to look awful' and those kind of comments. Just keep in mind why you are doing this and who you are doing it for (yourself!!). I have to remind myself all the time that I'm doing this for my fitness and so I can keep doing all my sporting activities without my knees hurting. Also I now have some awesome friends on MFP that are super supportive and motivating. Try to ignore the jealous ones :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    At this point my family isn't changing so I deal with it. My friends are all triathletes so they get it. Just became natural to surround myself with people as crazy as I am.
  • EliseVanca
    EliseVanca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ugh! hate this. the whole "you're going way over the top"
    is it so wrong that I don't wanna put CRAP in my body
    my body deserves good, healthy food