Where does the fat go that you lost?

Options
ok this may be disgusting so forgive me in advance. When you lose weight where does it go? Do you poop it out? Do you sweat it out? This may sound dumb but i would imagine that someone losing weight does not poo out 50 lbs 100 lbs of stuff. The theory is that you can neither create nor destroy matter so every week that i have been losing 2 lbs where is it going? I don't "go" any more than usual and yet i have lost 9 lbs. 9lbs isn't a lot compared to some of you but in mass, as a physical, tangible thing, 10 lbs is alot of stuff.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It is being chemically changed into energy. It's burned for fuel. You've seen wood broken down by fire into ashes? Well, the heat generated is the energy. The ashes are the byproduct. The byproducts of fat metabolism are metabolites that are carried away through the kidneys and expelled in urine.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    It is being chemically changed into energy. It's burned for fuel. You've seen wood broken down by fire into ashes? Well, the heat generated is the energy. The ashes are the byproduct. The byproducts of fat metabolism are metabolites that are carried away through the kidneys and expelled in urine.
    And then you poo and pee it out. Let me clarify..then you poo and pee what's left out. I think that is where the water comes into play.
  • jineat
    jineat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have explained it better myself. You are so right about the fat is burned down as fuel and processed through your liver and kidneys and then yes, pooped and urinated out.
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Never thought of using wood burning as a metaphor but it fits. But in both wood burning and fat loss it still boggles me that the mass before and after are so different. The "ashes" being expelled weighs less than the "wood" being burned. So all of it can't be pooped and peed out? As a science major you would think i would understand but it still confuses me.
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    Interesting. Never thought of using wood burning as a metaphor but it fits. But in both wood burning and fat loss it still boggles me that the mass before and after are so different. The "ashes" being expelled weighs less than the "wood" being burned. So all of it can't be pooped and peed out? As a science major you would think i would understand but it still confuses me.
    Life confuses me, but I still do it. :/
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    That information is classified by the federal government. You do not have proper clearance for that information.

Actually, it's MAGIC! TaDaaa!!!
  • christinerush
    Options
    BlytheW, I love that saying! Did you make it up or what?:smile:
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    BlytheW, I love that saying! Did you make it up or what?:smile:
    Which? What? Thank you.
    Life confuses me, but I still do it. ? Yes. I'm so proud! (process of elimination) That is all mine. Thank you.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    That information is classified by the federal government. You do not have proper clearance for that information.

Actually, it's MAGIC! TaDaaa!!!

Awesome!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    In wood burning, the ashes left weigh less than the wood that burned; but if you could capture all the smoke from the fire and weigh all the tiny particulates and steam and other components of the smoke, their mass would add up to the difference between the mass of the wood and the mass of the ashes. Combustion scientists have actually done this experiment, and the mass really does balance out.

Okay, I know a lot less about the physiology of weight loss than I know about combustion science, and I just told you most of what I know about combustion science. But don't think I'm going to let that stop me. :)

Let's say you lost a little over 2 pounds this week, and that exactly 2 pounds of the fat you lost was water, was converted to water in the fat-burning process, or became dissolved in water. Forgive me for going all math-geek on you, but:

Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon, so 2 lbs/(8.33 lbs.gal) = 0.24 gal

There are 128 ounces in a gallon, so (0.24 gal)*(128 oz/gal) = 31 oz
    (Doncha just love the English system? :huh: )

And seven days in a week 31 oz/week/(7 days/week) = 4.3 oz

Now, if you're drinking eight 8-oz glasses of water a day, you had better be peeing out at least 64 ozs per day. 4.3 oz/64 oz = 0.067 = approx 7%.

Are you really going to notice a 7% increase in the volume of your pee? IDK, but I'd guess that normal non-fat-losing pee volume may vary more than that from day to day anyway.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options

^^ this :D
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm losing the fat and weight I'm happy! haha! although it is an interesting question =) never really thought about it either.
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OH WOW!!! Thats all I can say after that response. :)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    aaaaaaaaah That was so interesting! There are geeks here! Awesome! XD

I guess the lesson here is you can't lose weight unless you drink all sorts of water to facilitate urination so you can actually expel it!

SCIENTIFIC PROOF YOU GOTTA DRINK UR WATER Y'ALL.. I love it. :D
  • LemonDiva
    LemonDiva Posts: 61
    Options
    We also express fat as oils in our skin, hair etc... we lose moisture through expiration and perspiration... small amounts but still important to remember.

We need fats for brain function (depression has been linked to reduction in fat cells in the brain - sorry don't have a reference for that) and to absorb certain vital vitamins... e.g. vit k is fat soluble and aids clotting mechanism.

So as well as converting and burning the fat the body uses fat in these ways... and eliminating those byproducts

I've also been told that fat stores various toxins, heavy metals and hormones etc in minute quantities but it sometimes accounts for mood changes and feeling under the weather sometimes and again why drinking the water, to flush those things out, is so important.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ok this may be disgusting so forgive me in advance. When you lose weight where does it go? Do you poop it out? Do you sweat it out? This may sound dumb but i would imagine that someone losing weight does not poo out 50 lbs 100 lbs of stuff. The theory is that you can neither create nor destroy matter so every week that i have been losing 2 lbs where is it going? I don't "go" any more than usual and yet i have lost 9 lbs. 9lbs isn't a lot compared to some of you but in mass, as a physical, tangible thing, 10 lbs is alot of stuff.

When you lose weight it magically appears on my bum. My bum is like a lost fat magnet.
    Nothing to do with the cupcakes I may eat.
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options
    In wood burning, the ashes left weigh less than the wood that burned; but if you could capture all the smoke from the fire and weigh all the tiny particulates and steam and other components of the smoke, their mass would add up to the difference between the mass of the wood and the mass of the ashes. Combustion scientists have actually done this experiment, and the mass really does balance out.

Okay, I know a lot less about the physiology of weight loss than I know about combustion science, and I just told you most of what I know about combustion science. But don't think I'm going to let that stop me. :)

Let's say you lost a little over 2 pounds this week, and that exactly 2 pounds of the fat you lost was water, was converted to water in the fat-burning process, or became dissolved in water. Forgive me for going all math-geek on you, but:

Now, if you're drinking eight 8-oz glasses of water a day, you had better be peeing out at least 64 ozs per day. 4.3 oz/64 oz = 0.067 = approx 7%.

Are you really going to notice a 7% increase in the volume of your pee? IDK, but I'd guess that normal non-fat-losing pee volume may vary more than that from day to day anyway.

You are so cool! I love people who understand what is really going on! Brains are so SEXY! OMG!
  • blytheandbonnie
    Options

You are so cool! I love people who understand what is really going on! Brains are so SEXY! OMG!

So, wait, this is why I'm peeing more than I am drinking?
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What a great bunch of smarties we have.. I found this question and answers very interesting
  • mtgordon1908
    mtgordon1908 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome information everyone! Even had a LOL moment.