Lunches on the go

Options
Help, I need suggestions for lunches on the go. I start a new job on Monday. I will be driving from house to house providing early intervention therapy so I will need to bring lunch with me. I am used to having a refrigerator but I am now going to be working out of my car the majority of the time. Anyone have any good recommendations for something to store food in to keep it cold any coolers or insulated bags you love? Water bottles that stay cold a long time? And lastly I need lots of ideas for lunches and snacks to store in said things.

I have really really been struggling the past six months to find motivation to work on losing weight. But I really want to now and I am getting back to where I need to be. Putting exercise back into my routine and working on eating healthy. I know I need to be prepared with lots of yummy, healthy snacks and lunch in order for me to be successful so I don't have to stop and get fast food all of the time. Plus my pocketbook can't take me eating out all the time either, and I like homemade more anyways.

If you also work out of your car, I'd love to hear first-hand experiences on what has worked for you.

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat on the go, but you could try sandwiches, wraps, etc. Put on lean meats, I also like tinned salmon. Also add veggies. Add a couple of boiled eggs to you lunch pack.

I've also had sushi before and it's quite nice and you will get used to the taste if you arent used to raw fish. Stay away from bad fillings like mayo and try and go for mackerel. It has lower mercury count.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    canned fish, protein shakes in a can like Pure Pro (nice if chilled but dont need to be refrigerated), almonds and other nuts, fruits like apples and bananas, crackers, protein bars
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    canned fish, protein shakes in a can like Pure Pro (nice if chilled but dont need to be refrigerated), almonds and other nuts, fruits like apples and bananas, crackers, protein bars

^ This!
  • robbiejay1971
    Options
    I take fruit to work every day, and eat it bit by bit across the day, instead of eating it all at 12pm.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Have you thought of investing in one of those car fridges that plug into the cigarette lighter of your car? It might expand your options.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A Thermos food jar is pretty good for keeping foods cool or hot. When it's really hot, I have a Thermos jar for my slushie (along with a cold pack) and it stays frozen for almost 3 hours. It also keeps my drinks cold for about 7 but for hot foods, it's even better. Although, if you're in a car, an esky and cold packs would be even better at keeping things cool.
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Check out this website for some inspiration. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/sets/72157601755804789/with/1438329272/

It is pictures of the lunches this lady packs for her kids. I have adapted them to fit the foods I should be eating, but I have found my lunches to be so much more satisfying with small amounts of different types of foods. I could not find the nifty container she had but I did find Snapware at my local Meijer store for just a few dollars a container. They have a rubber seal so that your lunch doesn't leak all over your car seat. I put one of these containers in an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack and it stays cold all day. They are also freezer safe so you could pack your lunch and freeze it the night before and it would thaw by lunch time. My Grandma always made 5 ham and cheese sandwiches on Sunday and froze them. Then each morning she would put one in my Grandpas lunch box (the old metal kind before insulated bags) and it would be ready to eat by lunchtime.

As far as the actual food, raw veggies and fresh fruit and salad are alway good choices. I include whole grain crackers, pita pockets, bagels with cheese, lean meat, veggie egg salad etc. Soup in an insulated thermos also packs well. Good luck!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i eat lots of soups. (Usually Healthy Choice or Progresso) I heat them up in the morning and pour them into a thermos and it stays warm for hours. I also have a Bubba Keg. They come in a variety of sizes and it will keep your drink and ice for 8-10 hours. It will also keep your beverage hot too if you're using it for tea or coffee. I also pack baby carrots, sliced cucumbers,etc and some fruit.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow so many good ideas! Thank you I really appreciate it! I am off to google some of those gadgets and try to decide what is the best option for me and my budget.

P.S. does anyone know how to be alerted when a certain thread gets updated? Is there a way to do that on MFP?
  • ashley67203
    Options
    At my last job I didn't get dinner breaks (and many nights no microwave breaks) so my husband bought me a Ms. Bento. It's great!

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-NCE09-Bento-Stainless-Steel-Vacuum/dp/B0016S7MJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330833227&sr=8-1
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Buy a large lunch bag or small cooler, some freezable ice packs, and you are good to go...

Meal ideas
    1. Cut up cucumbers, lettuce, tomato, and chicken on a whole grain pita with hummus.
    2. Smart Balance peanut butter with banana sandwich on 40 calorie per slice bread.
    3. Mini bagel with lite cream cheese mixed with 1 teaspoon of spicy salsa, and a few slices of lean, low sodium turkey breast.
    4. 1/2 cup of reduced sodium lowfat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of fruit or beets and 1/2 a pita or some crackers.
    5. Hard boiled egg, 2% string cheese, and some raw veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower, grape tomatoes)

Snack ideas
    1. Celery stuffed with garden veggie cream cheese
    2. Banana
    3. Unsweetened applesauce
    4. Orange wedges
    5. Grapes
    6. Dry Cheerios or Kix Cereal
    7. Cucumber slices
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to pack in a cooler, throw in a couple bottles of frozen water. Keeps the food cold, and you will also have cold drinking water as it melts.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    .......... I could not find the nifty container she had but I did find Snapware at my local Meijer store for just a few dollars a container.

Check out http://www.laptoplunches.com/

I've been drooling over these lunch boxes for years, but haven't bought one yet. Maybe I'll make that one of my weight loss rewards......hmmmmmmm.......
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Having a car, you can totally keep a big cooler in your trunk. Fill it with ice packs + frozen water bottles, and then you can store anything in regular tupps and they should be good all day long! Think salads, sandwiches, wraps, dips and veggies, oatmeal and granola, yogurt, diced fruit, nuts... the list is endless :)
    Remember to pack the ice packs at the bottom of the cooler, and to put directly on top the things that should stay *very* cold, and further away the things that should be closer to room temp. Bring only water as a drink, no pops or anything like that. Try to stay away from chips or cookies, which you'll find regularly suggested if you research lunch boxes on line.
    For the hot items, it's even easier. Invest in a good thermos box and a good portable cup. Pre-heat them by pouring boiling water inside and throwing it out before filling them with your food/beverage.
    I hope this helps!