Restaurant Eating

Options
I travel constantly for work. For my job I actually work with independently owned restaurants all over. I eat out for almost 2 out of three meals a day while traveling because I am on the road all the time.

Does anyone have any restaurant eating tips? I have realized that salads are not always very low in calories. Fish? Chicken? How do you ask for it prepared if you change things?

Any help from those who can not always avoid restaurant would be greatly appreciated!!:drinker:

Replies

• dv_tina
    dv_tina Posts: 6
    Options
    I travel constantly for work. For my job I actually work with independently owned restaurants all over. I eat out for almost 2 out of three meals a day while traveling because I am on the road all the time.

Does anyone have any restaurant eating tips? I have realized that salads are not always very low in calories. Fish? Chicken? How do you ask for it prepared if you change things?

Any help from those who can not always avoid restaurant would be greatly appreciated!!:drinker:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Check out the following website:

www.healthydiningfinder.com

In it, you will find the "healthy" choices and how to ask for them.

Hope this helps!! :drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    lean meats (fish, chicken, seafood, even steak if a lean cut) grilled are a good choice. roasted/broiled is second best.
    veggies are great, steamed is best.
    sauces are often full of fat, especially creamy sauces.
    salad dressings are culprits of this as well.
    soups should be clear, not creamy, again, to cut down on fat content.
    of course you know to avoid breading or frying, and terms like "crispy".
    eliminate stuff if you can, like, take off one of the slices of bread from a sandwich and eat it like you would eat a slice of pizza. or take the top bun off a burger.

if portion sizes are huge, get a doggie bag right away and put half the meal in there. IDK if this is travel-friendly, but it will keep you from cleaning your plate.
  • losinglynn
    Options
    Eat lots of grilled chicken, fish.

When eating salads ask for the dressing/croutons/cheese on the side.

Ask questions as to how certain foods are prepared so you know!

Instead of having the whole sandwhich/wrap, eat half w/ a salad and get the other half wrapped up.

Drink h20 with your meal to help fill you up.

Start off with a broth-based soup, although it maybe be higher in sodium it will also help fill you up and you can flush the sodium w/ the extra h20.

Tomato based sauces are usually a better option than cream-based.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One word of caution is about the grilled meats (kind of like everything you find in a restaurant)--watch out for high sodium! I've stopped getting grilled chicken in many restaurants because I swear I can taste an entire salt shaker's worth of salt! Lots of water should help a bit, :drinker: but then you need to map out your driving routes with bathrooms in mind! (I'd put an emoticon here of a guy/gal crossing his/her legs, but they don't have one - yet!)
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    look up the calories before hand. I went out to lunch with a friend and got a salad with honey lime dressing instead of the ranch and it was 80 cals more expensive. Wow and I thought I was doing myself a favour.