Biceps ---- Help paleez.

Options
13»

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Being that I'm a sponsored Gaspari Nutrition Athlete I'd say I do :wink: :bigsmile:

Knowing the likes of Rich Gaspari, Flex Lewis and the like gives me a few helping hands along the way :bigsmile:

lol, ouch. I bet your nutrition is on point though!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yep, diet is key to everything in body building and indeed in just keeping trim. So, its bang on the point :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    ScreenShot2012-03-03at11858PM.png

Being that I'm a sponsored Gaspari Nutrition Athlete I'd say I do :wink: :bigsmile:

Knowing the likes of Rich Gaspari, Flex Lewis and the like gives me a few helping hands along the way :bigsmile:

This is all good when said and done but for the average hard gainer he would be spinning his wheels for years in the gym.
    He needs an abbreviated program that hits as many muscles in one session with no wasted time.
    He needs to rest correctly and eat well for any of this to work.

His BF% is above 40% so doing 3 days heavy compounds will do the trick.

BTW Matt you look amazing!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    This is all good when said and done but for the average hard gainer he would be spinning his wheels for years in the gym.
    He needs an abbreviated program that hits as many muscles in one session with no wasted time.

Firstly thank you.

As for muscle gain, you know this how Dan? Do you think my muscle is different to the OP? What are you basing your opinion on? I actively train myself and coach others.

I don't want to sound an *kitten* but you're comments are based on what experience?
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I happen to have had trouble with Biceps.

What helped me was a combination of what many here are saying.
    I didn't isolate. I went heavy. I used a variety of exercises.

That being said, I focused on a complete strength program. That included diet and all muscle groups.

Above all, don't stop, and give what you try some time to see results.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Preacher curls aren't a good overall bicep workout (they target only one head of the bicep, the brachialis). They are a great SUPPLEMENTAL exercise. Try regular bicep curls (dumbell or barbell, doesn't matter). If you really want to go crazy, bicep curl+preacher curl+hammer curl for the win... that gets your biceps brachii, brachialis, and brachioradialis.

Make sure your diet allows muscle growth as well. Eat at a surplus on your workout days, and get at least 1g/lb. lean body mass of protein.

Chin-ups/weighted chin-ups (underhand grip) are another good exercise that hit back and biceps.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You should be doing compound movements like chin-ups(Assisted if need be) and eventually weighted chin-ups. Especially as a beginner.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    Preacher curls aren't a good overall bicep workout (they target only one head of the bicep, the brachialis). They are a great SUPPLEMENTAL exercise. Try regular bicep curls (dumbell or barbell, doesn't matter). If you really want to go crazy, bicep curl+preacher curl+hammer curl for the win... that gets your biceps brachii, brachialis, and brachioradialis.

Make sure your diet allows muscle growth as well. Eat at a surplus on your workout days, and get at least 1g/lb. lean body mass of protein.

Chin-ups/weighted chin-ups (underhand grip) are another good exercise that hit back and biceps.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you in the case of the OP. He still has quite a bit of weight lose per his ticker and as an overweight newbie he will be able to add muscle at a deficit.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you in the case of the OP. He still has quite a bit of weight lose per his ticker and as an overweight newbie he will be able to add muscle at a deficit.
    Agreed... didn't look at his profile. He should be able to put on plenty of muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options
    You should be doing compound movements like chin-ups(Assisted if need be) and eventually weighted chin-ups. Especially as a beginner.

Also I personally do a mix of the following: standing dumbbell curls, hammer curls, one arm cable curls, incline dumbbell curls, barbell curls, and curl & press.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Arms are one of my best body parts. I train them now just once a week (as well as every body part). To get my biceps strong I stuck to barbell/dumbell curls, chin ups, underhand rows and used heavy *kitten* weights!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been doing P90X and seen huge growth in biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest and back. It is worth the cost of the DVDs or me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Firstly thank you.

As for muscle gain, you know this how Dan? Do you think my muscle is different to the OP? What are you basing your opinion on? I actively train myself and coach others.

I don't want to sound an *kitten* but you're comments are based on what experience?

To be honest, hours of research!

I'm a very hard gainer so I have to train like one.

After getting OPs info and running numbers for dietary advice, I look at different types of weight training and see what would work best for him.

If he already had a good base for muscle growth then great!
    Isolate and split that routine like a champ!

However he doesnt have a good muscle base!
    He's already said its not working so I suggested 2 programs that have fantastic results!
    Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength!

You know as well as I do that you cant Mezos and Endos and say they can all train the same!

I believe doing compound programs like SL5x5 or SS will give him the base for real world strength and save him a lot of time in the gym.

Now if he was a guy who already had a good base of lean mass and was already strong to begin with then it may be a different story.

Thats not to say he can add isolation work for his weak points.
    but he would have to add that on top of already doing Deadlifts, Squats, Bent Rows, Bench Press and Pull ups!
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump just taking it all in :wink:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Isolation movements should be avoided by most people except rehab patients and professional body builders.
    The reason you probably dont have much in biceps is you arent working with the proper poundage.

Drop your entire routine and pick up a free program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

This 100%
    I used to work out like you are doing now. Now I cringe every time I hear about someone having a "leg day" or the like. Heavy compound lifts are where it's at. Not only hit essentially every muscle group every other day, but helps tune up your neuromuscular system, too.