Which Polar to buy?

Options
Hi there,

Need some input regarding Polar HRMs.

I regularly run and also do Les Mills Workouts (Pump and Attack mostly) and I would really like to get a HRM that is compatible with those activities. I would love to know what my actual calorie burn is and also I will be starting training for a 1/2 marathon in a couple of weeks and want to use it to improve my performance.

Any suggestions or input would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Louise

Replies

• PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I just did my First 1/2 marathon on the 19th:bigsmile: I have the PolarFT7....I love it!!!! I use it in weight class, spin, running and hiking. I can tell when I'm not giving it my all in class or the intructor isn't pushing us enough by my burn. It pushes me to work harder and you can also take it in the pool....my next form of exercise is playing underwater hockey....sounds goofy but I've been told it's a good workout!!! I want to lose a few more pounds before jumping in that bathing suit :tongue:

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You definitely want one with a chest strap. Polar has a pretty nice one. It sits just inside my sport bra quite nicely, is amazingly comfortable for a band around the ribs. It's great for running, and I can use it for yoga, lifting or anything else I do. I have a Polar FT40F.
  • fuschiadiamond
    fuschiadiamond Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The one I am using right now is the polar RS400, as suggested by my personal trainer. It can tell you which zone you are at if you are in zone training, that way you know if you are burning fat, calories or sugar. This watch also keeps your records or progress in file so you can check how much calories you burn in a week though I am not sure if the other watches have this feature.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    What the thoughts on FT1? I'm assuming this is an older version.

What is the benefit of FT4 vs FT7?

Any help would be appreciated!
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I believe that with the FT7 you can change the battery but with the FT4 you have to send to the manufacturer.
  • CurvyTrini87
    Options
    Funny That I log in and I saw this post. Just purchase my Polar FT7. I am so excited.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If your a runner and want the ability to use GPS on your HRM you will need to get one of the upper Polar models.. I believe mine the FT60 is the first of the model above the FT4 and FT7 that can be purchased with or added later the foot pod for GPS tracking. I got mine off here: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ft60.html and have no complaints about mine.... I am going to add the foot pod this spring when i start walking and biking outside.....
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4..I love it!!!! I use it for every workout-i don't run so I don't know how well it works for that but I have been using it for about a year and I have had no problems with it. Tells my Heart Rate range (which I never stay in for some reason)
    And at the end of the workout I know how hard I worked with the calories burned (great motivator!). Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I believe that with the FT7 you can change the battery but with the FT4 you have to send to the manufacturer.

This information is wrong. You change the FT7 and the FT4 battery by yourself.

To OP:
    I started with an FT7 that I loved. I then wanted to be able to input my Vo2max, so I went with an FT60.. and I like it a lot too.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the FT7 because I read in reviews that with the FT4 the battery needs to be sent in to get changed and with a lot of use, happens quickly! Can't wait to get mine!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I love it! And, I can change the battery myself if needed.

The chest strap is very comfortable and I've never had problems with is slipping no matter what type of activity I'm doing (yoga, spinning, Insanity, etc).

They have some great reviews on Amazon and great prices on the FT4 too.

Good luck!
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have just tested my Polar FT7 and love it
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about a HRM, then don't fanny about with the FT range... I'd go for something a little more advanced and compatible across many sports (multi sport) such as the Polar RS300X a good mid range HRM, accurate, comfortable, easy to use. Store data, upload to polarpersonaltrainer.com if you want and look if you;re over or under training... more accurate than most calorie read outs as has built in fit test.

I have Polar RS300X and it is FANTASTIC! Also you can add on a footpod or GPS sensor at a later point if you want to take up running or cycling with it too.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I got DW the FT4 after some research, because I didn't feel the other features were worth the extra expense unless you want GPS, and then I would get a Garmin 210.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    My first was a Polar FT4 which gave good feedback to up my intensity to hit the burn I was looking for. (Still working 1 1/2 years later just gave it to DSIL for her journey). Upgraded to the Polar RS300X with footpod once I wanted to start improving my running pace and know my distance. I opted for the foot pod over GPS so that I could use it on the treadmill as well. Yes, my treadmill tells me my speed and distance, but for training consistency, I still use my foot pod.

You can't go wrong with Polar, just a matter of what features matter to you. You DO want to get a model that uses the chest strap to ensure you are getting an accurate account of your heart rate (IMO).

:drinker:
  • SandyMilton
    SandyMilton Posts: 130
    Options
    I got DW the FT4 after some research, because I didn't feel the other features were worth the extra expense unless you want GPS, and then I would get a Garmin 210.

^^this - I knew I wouldn't use the added benefits of the Ft7 so I stuck with the FT4 and it suits me perfectly! All I'm concerned about is the HR % range, time spent, and calories burned. It saves I believe the last 10 workouts, which is fine. I generally only need to go back for the stats to the last workout because I record them in immediately anyway.
  • ttulio
    ttulio Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the FT80 because I wanted the strength training features, but found that I don't use that part anymore. However, I love it for cardio and one of the best features is that it comes with a dock to sync it to my computer so that I can see my workouts and track progress. I also have the foot pod, which works pretty well. If you get a Polar, make sure that you get one that has user replaceable batteries on the HRM itself and on the chest strap.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have an F6. Bought it two years ago and I love it. Since you are a girl, Louise, I will let you know that it is a pink color.
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've just bought an FT80 (black edition) and I love it. I'm still getting used to it but it's got lots of cool features. So far, I'm pleased with my purchase.
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    I have an F6. Bought it two years ago and I love it. Since you are a girl, Louise, I will let you know that it is a pink color.

My F6 is 3 years old. Pink. Simple. I love it!