WHY do people on mfp use protein shakes??

Options
Isn't there protein in food? :-p when I get to the end of the day logging calories, mfp never tells me that I need more protein.

Is it extremely low in calories? Does it fill you? where do you get it? I haven't seen it in the supermarket. I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Replies

• AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    My hubby uses it after he does weights. He is a big fecker so he is! It helps repair the muscle fast I think but I am not 100%
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 scoop (140 cals) of Body Fortress Whey Protein with 8 oz. of water after I leave the gym to help with muscle recovery. However, it is true that it is better to get protein from natural sources (like lean meat, etc.) I buy Whey at Wal Mart and it doesn't really fill me up and I never use it as a meal replacement as some people choose to do. Nothing is better then actual food :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My hubby uses it after he does weights. He is a big fecker so he is! It helps repair the muscle fast I think but I am not 100%
    tTHIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have 1 scoop whey protein isolate powder blended with frozen mixed berries and water after my workout to help with muscle recovery...I never use it as a meal replacement...and the rest of the day I get my protein from lean meats
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd be morto going into a health food shop looking for some. have you tried it Aisling? you wouldn't need it after 30ds would you!?
    does it keep you full for hours? lots of people who aren't trying to build up muscle use it. I just want to look toned as in not wobbly.
  • MaggiePuccini
    Options
    Bekcy Boodle, that sounds nice. That's the kind of thing I'd like to try.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    People who are really into lifting weights/strength training need more protein. But for me, I only do a little bit of strength and mostly cardio so I can get a decent amount of protein just through my diet.

I also know someone who is on a high protein diet (not sure why, she saw a nutritionist and that's what was recommended) and she's also a vegetarian... she drinks protein shakes for an easy way to get some extra protein.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    Haven't used it Mags but it smells delish, like a vanilla milkshake! I prefare to eat like a horse personally, which is probably why I am on this site :bigsmile:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I put loss on hold and go into building mode I eat 5000 cals a day for about 3 weeks and I can't do that with just food so I have to toss in 3 shakes a day.

Right now I am in Orthodox lent and I use them to get my protein in while still keeping at 1800 cals.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 175 to 200 grams of protein a day. It's just easier to use a scoop or two to help get me to where I want to be. I don't find it filling unless I mix it with a bunch of other stuff.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by it as a recovery aid after a hard workout. Personally I'll stick with chocolate milk and/or clif bars, that way I know I'm staying pretty close to the desired 4:1 bar to protein ratio.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake because:
    it's versatile,
    it's quick,
    It can be as tasty as I want to make it
    I don't feel like eating chicken breast for breakfast
    It helps me get an extra serving or two of fruit in the morning
    It keeps me full.

It makes a good breakfast for me as I'm quite lazy and like to lie in bed until the last minute, especially after kickboxing classes the evening before.

That's just me, though, no one's forcing anyone else's hand.

ETA:
    Mine aren't particularly low calorie as I start with a shake and add berries, some honey, greek yogurt, a scoop of wheat germ, a banana, in some combination depending on what I remember to toss in. Mine average between 200-350 calories.

I edited MFP's protein goals to get about 25/25/50 with protein, fat and carbs. I try to keep the protein as a minimum goal and the carbs as a max goal.
  • MaggiePuccini
    Options
    no, I wouldn't feel like chicken in the morning either! i am going to go and have a browse in the health food shop.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    no, I wouldn't feel like chicken in the morning either! i am going to go and have a browse in the health food shop.

You certainly don't need them if you are happy with the protein you are getting in your regular diet. I just find that to reach my custom goal, I need something thats FAST because I sleep late and have to drive 40 miles to work. :D
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    protein is naturally more thermogenic than carbs or fat, particularly whey protein. This promotes fat burning. Protein is a basic building block of muscle recovery following exercise. That would be any exercise.

The USDA daily ratios is what MFP defaults to on the macro nutrient proportions. These are woefully out of date and favor grain based agricultural economies (what?! politics influences the USDA?!), rather than active poeple trying to get fit.

Many people use protein supplements to get extra protein for convenience. Certainly it is available in food, and that should be the primary source. I just don't normally have an 8 oz chicken breast in my gym bag for after my workout, where a protein bar or shake is.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Isn't there protein in food? :-p when I get to the end of the day logging calories, mfp never tells me that I need more protein.

Is it extremely low in calories? Does it fill you? where do you get it? I haven't seen it in the supermarket. I wouldn't know what to do with it.

I've found it at my local grocery store, Walmart & Target. I'm sure they have it at GNC's or other vitamin shops. It's kinda pricey ($20 for a 16 oz. container), but I guess if you work out religiously, you need it.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've actually been wanting to start using protein shakes, because I do better with protein in the morning and I really hate breakfast. Breakfast has been my biggest obstacle. I'm trying to set an example for my four daughters by eating, and yet sometimes the morning are so busy a shake would be nice.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I use one scoop of Muscletech - 100% Premium Whey Protein Plus (I get a 5lb bag at Sam's Club for like $35-40) after a workout. I mix it with soy milk, cocoa powder, peanut butter and ice. It tastes just like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake (only healthier, I'm sure). I use it for muscle recovery and also to help get in my protein since I'm a vegetarian.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes to fit macros/calories into my daily intake. I don't always have time to prepare adequate meals during the week due to a demanding work schedule.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I sometimes struggle with protein, so that's why I try to drink them pretty often. They're really tasty, pretty low-calorie, and they keep me full for a while (though I don't use them as a complete meal replacement).

And I too always drink them after workouts for muscle recovery.