what to do about sugar cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I eat sugar free Jello, fruit, cherry craisins, or a granola bar when I crave sweets. If I have to have chocolate I go for the fat free/sugar free pudding topped with fat free Cool Whip. I do treat myself a couple time a week though. I eat 1/2 cup lowfat/sugar ice cream (the kind I get has 100 calories for 1/2 cup Rocky Road). A couple of times a month I go to my local frozen yogurt shop and eat a small cup topped with fresh fruit.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    The whole "suck it up" thing never worked for me, so I usually ignore when people say that.

What I do is chew gum like Mentos Juice Burst with the fruit juice center. Or I would satisfy my craving by eating something sweet. Just log it and it'll work. Don't get too crazy with it though. As long as it fits into your daily calorie budget then it works. At least that's how I look at it. No point in trying to go cold turkey with cravings, you'll just end up saying f-it and eating a giant jar of pure sugar :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It sounds harsh advice, but if having sugar cravings is hard and making eating healthily difficult, just suck it up!

You don't need to go without sugar for long before you stop craving it.

Giving in to it just prolongs it.

Exactly!! It is no different than giving up alcohol, drugs or tobacco.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you give your body more protein the sugar cravings tend to do down. Next time you have one try eating something high in protein! :)

Agree. Also, all or nothing doesn't work, you just end up splurging and falling "off the wagon" totally. Allow yourself a single serving of what you're craving.

Good luck!

Maybe it doesn't work for you. The longer your body goes without <insert whatever> the less your body wants it. Most people just give in so they cannot honestly say the all or nothing approach doesn't work.