What foods are people eatting to stay full?

Options
What foods are people eatting to stay full? I drink my 8 glasses of water but by 9pm i am waiting to eat. What are people eatting?

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese-VERY filling, VERY low cal for half a cup(at least my 2% is).

Lentils and low fat plain yogurt with seasoning=vegetarian chili, also filling

Eating your veggies before your meat, about 15-20 before fills your stomach up so when you do eat your protein, your body feels super full and craves water instead. At least mine does.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The thing that makes me feel fullest is multi seeded bagels. If I don't eat any grains I feel starving all the time. I do try to avoid wheat as it makes me feel sick if I have too much, but I find bagels are really filling and SO yummy.

People always say protein, but I don't find protein fills me up at all.
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've found, of all things, a "hot salad" with all kinds of baked veggies tossed with fresh spinach and tomato sauce for dressing, makes me feel really full for a long time, even better than protein. Although 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter can also keep me going for hours.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pickled cucumbers - yummy taste and almost nothing by way of calories.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Apples

Raw nuts

Large, green leafy salads with a high quality oil dressing - like Udo's Oil blend and seasoning mix

Baked tofu

Sometimes I want bulk, sometimes satiety - for bulk, I'll go with apples, greens, and yams. For satiety, I'll lean on the raw nuts, tofu, and tempeh items.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and high-fiber foods. If you're not already, you should track fiber in your diary. I recommend customizing your food diary to get at least 25g of fiber every day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't find nuts fill me up at all. I could eat a whole bag of them and still be starving and WAY over my daily calorie intake.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Belgian Waffels and stuff made with whole wheat bread (sloppy joe's, toast, PB&J, etc.). I mill the wheat kernels myself. That way I control the freshness and the granularity of the flour. By making bread products myself, I can eliminate the largest source of salt (sodium) in store bought foods.

I will be making Bagels for the first time this weekend, and might even make some more cinnamon rolls. Chest freezer allows me to batch up the cooking effort.

It takes longer to digest bread that has a lot of fiber and I add raw honey...so calories are higher, but it keeps me from snacking before the next meal (i.e. I still stay within my calorie budget). The bread is heavier than store bought whole wheat bread, but after you get used to it, it's very, very fulfilling.

P.S.-It's amazing how much cheaper it is to make your own bread products. I use white winter wheat from Thrive that I buy over the internet. It's vacuum sealed in cans with a shelf life of thirty years, six months after you open a can.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't find nuts fill me up at all. I could eat a whole bag of them and still be starving and WAY over my daily calorie intake.

Finally, someone else! I envy people who can have a reasonable portion of nuts and be full. I certainly can't!

For me, it's all about protein, fibre and to a certain extent, fat. Non-fat yogurt does nothing for my hunger, but the same size portion of low fat (2-3%) yogurt will keep me good for a couple hours until my next meal. Protein shakes are great too to fill in gaps if it's going to be a while before a meal.
  • whirligig24
    whirligig24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^ ME TOO!
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, veggies, proteins, veggie packed salads, peanut butter (on celery for snacks), seeds (hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds). I mix and match them up all up...ie: lunch would be br. rice w/ a protein source, and a veggie (broccolli), by doing this I'm full. Same with my salads--throw on some tuna, feta cheese, extra veggies, seeds. Works for me, You just have to experiment with the foods and then you'll find what works best. :smile:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Eggs

1tbsp Peanut butter on celery sticks

I don't actually get hungry much at all :/. I only eat because I like food :P
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    PB on Granny Smith apples, steamed cauliflower, big salads with some protein on them. Those are my 3 go to foods to feel fuller longer.
  • mybeach27
    mybeach27 Posts: 243
    Options
    bump :)
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've been told that protein takes the lonest to digest so in theory keeps you fuller for longer. I try and get protein into every meal/snack!

The other thing I do is make sure i drink water a short while before eating. This fills me up quicker. Then if I'm hungry I try water first. Only downside is I end up needing to pee a lot! LOL
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, fish, cottage cheese, veggies, oats
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, avocado.... and lots of veggies
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with PB, nuts and strawberries :D
    Also a wholegrain sandwhich with tuna, veggies and avo at lunch is filling
    Oh and arvo fruity protein shakes!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Almonds!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    salad, low cal veggies (cooked broccoli, cauliflower etc) or raw veggies like carrot sticks, fruit (apples especially), cream of wheat is filling and low cal, yogurt with protein powder, I also drink 20+ glasses of water a day (not including tea, coffee, or other beverages)