Anyone else notice 1200 calories is not enough?

Options
I had to recently switch from a goal of losing 2lbs per week to losing 1 lb per week because 1200 cals was just not enough for me. It was ok if I could burn at least 300 calories with exercise, but days where I didn't go to the gym or just did a little bit of exercise (like walking for 20 or 30 mins), 1200 calories was not nearly enough. Anybody else notice this?

Replies

• epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I FINALLY lost a couple of pounds and I notices now my goal is under 1300 :( I will admit I have not been the best about healthy eating but I am totally excited about my progress. But then to see I have even less calories I was so bummed. Although maybe now it will force me to make better snacking decisions.

Yes 1200 is hard! I work out most days so I have a bit of leeway on calories.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I switched to 400 cals a day. It seems to be working really well.
  • kdranney
    kdranney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! 1200 calories is really difficult. I just try to stay at 1200 with a good workout. If for some reason I don't have time for that workout, then I'm just over on my calories that day. I feel like if you are eating good, healthy foods and sometimes go over your calories it's better than starving yourself just to stay under 1200. Obviously I'm no expert, but that's my take on it.:happy:
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose 2 lbs a week, yes, of course, 1200 is not enough. 2 lbs a week is a highly aggressive weight loss goal. What's the hurry?

Do the math to see what your maintenance calories would be once you reach your goal weight. As long as you stay within that, you'll lose, and you'll be better prepared to continue to maintain the weight by having learned how to live within that calorie goal.
  • elainesmyth73
    Options
    rememeber to put in any house work you do whether its light or vigorous plus your walk and if you have a wii do the fitness on it i have also bought a game for the wii the biggest loser so will be starting it tomorrow
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not sustainable for me. My goal is 1340 per day. I usually eat back about 50-75% of my exercise calories (500 - 800 per day) depending on how hungry I am. I plan to go over my calories on friday when I go out to dinner with my husband. My weight loss has been pretty consistent at about 1 lb per week.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have a 1700 calorie a day MINIMUM rule. I net about that everyday. I tried 1200, nearly DIED. I start at 1700 and eat back my exercise calories too.

EAT!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well... 1200 calories a day is half of what I normally consume each day.

I would be threatening to eat my own limbs, small children AND neighborhood pets if all I could have in a day was 1200 calories. I think too many people set too high of a weight loss per week and end up with only 1200 calories - which isn't enough for most people. Don't get me wrong, there are some people who can easily lose weight on 1200 calories and can maintain it long term. But, for most people? It isn't something you can sustain for long term, healthy, successful weight loss.

Lower your weekly weight loss goal and eat more food. Your body will thank you in the end!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I first started I tried to lose that much per week, but I realized I was too hungry to maintain it. I switched to 1 lb per week and haven't regretted it. I'm much happier at 1400 calories.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    rememeber to put in any house work you do whether its light or vigorous plus your walk

This really depends on your settings. If you said you were sedentary, it may be appropriate to include this. If you said you were active, your diary settings may already include calories burned during normal day to day activities such as housework. Also, I am not sure I would trust MFP to calculate the number of calories burned by normal things. MFP usually overestimates calories burned compared to what my HRM says, and I am no slacker at the gym.
  • ReneeFromCanada
    ReneeFromCanada Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for me. I'm a 39 year old woman, 5'9" tall, and right now, I'm 174 lbs. I would be starving and dizzy from low blood sugar if I tried to maintain 1200 calories per day. I try to walk most days. I usually do 5 kms if I get out. But that's pretty much it for exercise. On walking days with the additional calorie allowance I get to have close to 2400 calories. I started on mfp 2.5 weeks ago and have lost 7 lbs and 2 inches off my waist.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Weird, but some days it seems too much and other days it seems the opposite!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was starving to death on 1200 cals. I think I lasted about 3 months. It kickstarted my weight loss, but I was utterly miserable. I struggle now on 1500 and that's maintenance!
  • atownsend84
    atownsend84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, right now since I switched to losing 1 lb per week I can eat about 1500 cals and of course whatever calories I burn with exercise, and that is going much better so far. 1200 calories was just too difficult, and I was afraid that having that much restriction would make junk food cravings even worse being hungry all the time.
  • lacrossebuddha
    lacrossebuddha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calorie diet and so far I have seen some results. I usually just eat slowly during meals so I feel full.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's enuf if you workout too, so u can eat ur exercise calories.....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Nope :)
    But then again, I eat LOADS of low calorie foods like veggies, buckwheat ramen noodles, fruit. Have a peak at my diary. I only have one day probably every 2 weeks that I am a little hungry. Other than that my dinner bowl is massive because I beef it up with tons of veggies.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm a much happier, more energetic gal since I adjusted my loss to .5 pounds per week and started eating a bunch of my exercise cals back. I can work out harder and longer now too because I have the proper fuel! It's a win/win situation.