DIeting in China - how come the Chinese are so damn skinny

Options
Hi all. I am new to this site and I am loving it. I am a Canadian who has recently moved to China with my husband for his work. I have always struggled with weight but I thought that it would be easy to lose weight moving to China because the Chinese are so damn skinny!!!

Guess what, I have actually gained weight. The biggest problem is that I no longer work, I use to have a high stress job that required me to be on my feet most of the day and now I sit on the couch and watch TV and play on the computer. The second problem is that I hate the food - Chinese food in China is not like the Chinese food in North America, no chicken balls and egg rolls here. :sad:

On top of everything, I hate leaving the house because of the staring!!! The Chinese do not often see foreigners and stare quite obviously at you which is annoying enough but try being a plus size woman living in a country of size 0's and the staring and pointing double. Like I was not self conscious already.

My motivation - to get pregnant and fashion. My husband and I are trying to start a family but being 38 and obese cut the chances substantially. I want to be as healthy as possible when I conceive so that my baby will be healthy . Second, I love clothes but they don't love me. Shopping is one of my favorite things to do but in China they don't have plus size anywhere but even when I go back home finding funky fashionable plus size is a challenge.

I have joined a gym at a Western hotel (to avoid the staring even though the cost was astronomical) and I go 3 times a week and will work my way up to 5 times a week. As for the food, it is hard. We eat at home most of the time but finding good food is difficult. All the great low fat low calorie foods available at any store in North America is not available here. Finding basic food that we like is a struggle like strawberries, beef, english muffins,etc. I have searched for good recipes in cookbooks and online but there is always an ingredient that I can't find over here.

Anyways, I guess what started as a introduction also turned into a rant. Just wanted to say hi and wish everyone luck with their goals.

Replies

• kickle88
    kickle88 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi all. I am new to this site and I am loving it. I am a Canadian who has recently moved to China with my husband for his work. I have always struggled with weight but I thought that it would be easy to lose weight moving to China because the Chinese are so damn skinny!!!

Guess what, I have actually gained weight. The biggest problem is that I no longer work, I use to have a high stress job that required me to be on my feet most of the day and now I sit on the couch and watch TV and play on the computer. The second problem is that I hate the food - Chinese food in China is not like the Chinese food in North America, no chicken balls and egg rolls here. :sad:

On top of everything, I hate leaving the house because of the staring!!! The Chinese do not often see foreigners and stare quite obviously at you which is annoying enough but try being a plus size woman living in a country of size 0's and the staring and pointing double. Like I was not self conscious already.

My motivation - to get pregnant and fashion. My husband and I are trying to start a family but being 38 and obese cut the chances substantially. I want to be as healthy as possible when I conceive so that my baby will be healthy . Second, I love clothes but they don't love me. Shopping is one of my favorite things to do but in China they don't have plus size anywhere but even when I go back home finding funky fashionable plus size is a challenge.

I have joined a gym at a Western hotel (to avoid the staring even though the cost was astronomical) and I go 3 times a week and will work my way up to 5 times a week. As for the food, it is hard. We eat at home most of the time but finding good food is difficult. All the great low fat low calorie foods available at any store in North America is not available here. Finding basic food that we like is a struggle like strawberries, beef, english muffins,etc. I have searched for good recipes in cookbooks and online but there is always an ingredient that I can't find over here.

Anyways, I guess what started as a introduction also turned into a rant. Just wanted to say hi and wish everyone luck with their goals.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone at the gym that can help you with local food recommendations? Maybe you can consult with a nutritionist over there.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    wow! That sounds like a really difficult situation. If it makes you feel any better, I read an article that obesity is on the rise in China. But, maybe start hitting the fresh markets, I've never been there but I've seen them on tv. I'm rooting for you!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This is the best website ever. I love it here and I think you will too. This website is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: