Im pregnant!!

Options
hey everyone havent wrote in a while. Started back up again in january and had stopped in november, only to find out im pregnant!!! have been TTC for it seems a long time so very excited! wondering what differences i can make to be healthy for baby but still be on my diet? help?

Replies

• simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    First of all, do NOT diet while pregnant. Make sure you eat healthy foods! As long as you eat a well balanced diet and not a highly fatty/processed one, you will only gain the recommended weight and it will come off easily afterward.

Oh ... and congrats! Babies are a blessing! Especially after TTC for a long time. :)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    Sorry to shout, I am just happy for you.
    My advice is to eat as healthy as you can and stay away from the scale. You are going to gain weight of coarse so dont look at it.
    Make sure to eat good healthy foods, but give in to the cravings once in a while. You will have plenty of time to work hard to lose the weight after the baby comes.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You might check into the baby spark people program. They are designed to help with healthy pregnancies =)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    First of all, do NOT diet while pregnant. Make sure you eat healthy foods! As long as you eat a well balanced diet and not a highly fatty/processed one, you will only gain the recommended weight and it will come off easily afterward.

Oh ... and congrats! Babies are a blessing! Especially after TTC for a long time. :)

Agreed eat healthy and if you are working out continue to do so with your doctors okay. Congradulations! The little blessings grow fast so enjoy everymoment of it.
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    Congratulations! Go to your obstetrician,if I spelled it right and I probably didn't, and ask for his or her advice on what is right diet for you and your baby. Good luck on everything.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The recommendations I have is to have a good weight gain. I would not get in the habit of thinking you are eating for two. A lot of pregnant women don't realize they only need to increase their calories about 500 or so during pregnancy. The recommended weight gain is 20-30 lbs depending how many babies you are carrying. Eat healthy like you usually do, but don't go overboard because you may end up gaining about 75 lbs.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would suggest asking your OB/GYN how many calories you should consume while pregnant and even how much should come from protein and fat. And make sure all the foods you eat are nutritionally dense. I believe if you follow the advice of your doctor, you will stay on track so after you deliver your baby, you will be just fine. With my first son I weighed less after delivery than before I became pregnant. That wasn't by design I just did not have an appetite. Congratulations and good luck!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's fantastic!! You're gonna have a little Dragon baby <3 hope you're not feeling too unwell with the 'morning' sickness :)

And yes, I agree with the above poster, whatever you do, do NOT diet and try to lose weight!!!

Saying that, it is NOT necessary to eat for two. While pregnant, eat healthy, stick to brown rice/pasta/breads, eat fruit and lots of veg, avoid all the processed foods as much as possible and you'll be fine :) Your body needs about 300 cals extra per day during pregnancy. Make sure you don't end up anaemic, so take care of your iron intake (there are also plenty of excellent pregnancy supplements out there)

Once your baby is here, breastfeeding is a sure way to get rid of the baby-bump ;) it'll use up more calories (I get 500 extra a day for exclusively feeding!) because it will make you hungry, but so long you don't give in to that by ways of cookies and chocolate etc your weight will fall off you!

All the best, wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy! It's worth every single second :)
  • kaylada89
    kaylada89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thank you all! so exciting. do not feel pregnant at all lost my appetite and no morning sickness. i will eat healthy and come up with a better calorie intake than i am doing at the moment. will continue exercising aswell. thanks again! x
  • nitterlyn
    nitterlyn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You should not be dieting during your pregnancy, however not every mother needs to gain weight (I'm speaking of overweight moms). It is actually healthier for your baby to gain little or no weight (depending on how over weight you are). The best person to ask is your OBGYN, they will reccomend the healthiest plan for you and your baby. Here's to a healthy pregnancy & baby!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your weight gains will depend on where you're starting from, as long as you're not underweight you can eat maintenance 1st trimester, then tailor your calories after that to your final weight gain goal (25lbs or so for normal bmi). Most importantly, eat balanced and take your prenatals and initiate prenatal care!

Consider joining our fit and fabulous pregnancy group if you plan to workout or start any type of routine! There is a lot of great advice to be had too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant