How do you work around injuries?

Options
My main form of exersize is walking. I can do 4 or 5 miles in about an hour, easy peasy! Only now, I've hurt my foot. Every time I step down, when I roll forward onto the ball of my foot, a sharp, excruciating pain shoots from toe to ankle. WHAT DO I DO???? I don't want to lose my momentum, but a large part of my weight loss is from this exersize, and I don't know what I can do until my foot heals. Suggestions?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Please, take care of your body. Take it from someone who ignored injuries until they were so bad, I ended up in the hospital (then out of the gym for 6 weeks AND on pain killers). Give your body time to heal. Pain is the body's way of saying something is wrong, please.. do not ignore it. If it lasts more than a few days, PLEASE see a doctor.

I learned this all the hard way. I ignored pain in my hip and ended up with a stress fracture. I've ignored pain in my back until I ended up on multiple pain medications.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You have to rest til it gets better! I had pain in my lower back and ignored it. When my left leg ended up paralyzed I finally had an MRI done and turns out I had a herniated disc that was compressing the nerves in my spinal cord. I ended up having surgery to fix something I made 100 times worse by ignoring! Please be careful. And if you can, see a Dr if it doesnt get better in a few days.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think you should go to the doctor, but if you still want to exercise, try swimming. You burn a lot of calories and it's also super low impact. :) Good luck and feel better!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    If you're insistent on staying active, I'd look into free weights (there's some cheaper dumbbells by Reebok at Target right now in varied weights), or stretching exercises that don't require a lot of moving.

BUT... I will recommend looking into Tiffany Rothe's workouts on Youtube. I used her waist-shrinking vid when I had shin splints because there's NO footwork other than standing, and NO jumping to aggravate my shins or knees. It's a lot of oblique exercises and hip work with feet flat on the ground in the same standing position. If you can stand without pain, I'd highly recommend it. Avoid the videos that incorporate dance or jumping, though, for now. :happy:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    First things first. Go to your doctor!!! Second, calastenics is also a good work out. Situps, pushups, make it fun by adding some spunk. There is really no way to get around foot pain if you have an injury there. Def have it looked at. Make sure you don't have a stress fracture or plantar fasciitis. Both are quite painful, both are treatable.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others... rest and get it checked.

I had a minor pain in my ankle I ignored until I was a bigger pain. Ended up being a stress fracture, I was out of commission for about 5 weeks. Lucky for me it wasn't weight bearing bone, or it would have been longer.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, see what type of exercise he/she clears you for. Depends on the severity of the injury..
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sounds like plantar fascitis....ICE, ICE, & STRETCH! you may also need new shoes. make sure they are walkers. shoes need to be replaced about 600miles maybe sooner if you do not rotate they with another pair. in the mean time you may find biking will help! best wishes to you!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    do strength training for exercise, best decision you'll ever make, be good on your eating, drink plenty water, take care of your foot
    662410 Posts: 3
    Options
    I totally know exactly what you are going through! I lost about 15 pounds by walking a couple of years ago, but last year I broke my heel and am still in recovery from that so I still can't walk :(. My best advice? The elliptical machine at the gym. Low impact on your foot but you are still able to burn those calories! I know its not the same as walking outdoors, but its a good halfway point for me. Good luck!!!
  • aandbthomas1
    Options
    I agree with the others about going to the doctor. That said when I tore my ACL, miniscus, and hairline fractured my tibia in my right leg and strained a tendon in my left my doctor and PT said swimming was a great exercise for me to do (after surgery). It's still the only exercise other than walking that doesn't aggravate my injuries (five months after surgery). Hope you heal quickly and remember this is only a speed bump on your journey.