Beware of Chipotle

Options
I love this place as much as the next person, but I once heard that it was once owned by McDonald's. Believe me, even the salads are riddled with a TON of fat and calories. The meat alone is horrible. I once got online and calculated some things out........you wouldn't even believe how much a salad with steak is.........I think that it came out to, like, 91 grams of fat or something......

Just something to think about.........

As far as mexican food is concerned though, if you live in Texas (I am unaware of any other place that has it, so feel free to let me in on whether there is one by you), best place ever is Mi Cocina! Get the beef fajitas without tortillas.......delish!! :)

Replies

• hlynn1986
    hlynn1986 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing you can have a ton of fat while eating at a calorie deficit and still lose weight then :)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think most people go to Chipotle to eat healthfully. They sure taste good though! They have the approximate cal counts for the things you order right next to them on the menu so if people are watching their cals it's not like they have no clue what they are ordering.

You can order a salad with a ton of veggies and then just have the chicken or grilled veggies instead of the other meats, and top it with salsa. I'm sure that wouldn't be too unhealthy. When I go, I go for a huge fatty burrito though and I always love their chips and salsa. That's why I don't eat there very often. :laugh:

ETA: I kind of think of Chipotle as "white" Mexican food. If i'm craving real Mexican food I always go to Mar Y Tierra.
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    It's a good thing you can have a ton of fat while eating at a calorie deficit and still lose weight then :)

Dont have mexican food all the time, but I crave it every now and then and so as long as I have enough calories left by the end of the day, this is what I have!! :) And I eat at least 1738 calories in a day!
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Yup! Low fat was 80's science (although I am sure someone will jump on here and say the opposite). Calories in versus calories out.
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I honestly don't think most people go to Chipotle to eat healthfully. They sure taste good though! They have the approximate cal counts for the things you order right next to them on the menu so if people are watching their cals it's not like they have no clue what they are ordering.

You can order a salad with a ton of veggies and then just have the chicken or grilled veggies instead of the other meats, and top it with salsa. I'm sure that wouldn't be too unhealthy. When I go, I go for a huge fatty burrito though and I always love their chips and salsa. That's why I don't eat there very often. :laugh:

ETA: I kind of think of Chipotle as "white" Mexican food. If i'm craving real Mexican food I always go to Mar Y Tierra.

All I know is that when I looked it up online, nothing seemed healthy unless you had straight up salad with no meat or anything on it to be honest.......
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Flour Tortilla 290 cal
    Pinto Beans 120 cal
    Steak 190 cal
    Cheese 100 cal

700 calories. Although it is a lot, you also get a huge burrito for that. Have it in a bowl instead of a tortilla and you are looking at 410 calories.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I think you need to look again. The steak and chicken have the same fat and calorie content. How many calories are you consuming per day? If you are going too low cal, I guess it would really cut into your cals for the day. From what I saw on that site I could have the salad with beans and chicken or steak topped with salsa and it didn't look that unhealthy to me. I think the sodium content is probably worse than the rest of the stuff on there, but I don't count sodium so it wouldn't bother me.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Flour Tortilla 290 cal
    Pinto Beans 120 cal
    Steak 190 cal
    Cheese 100 cal

700 calories. Although it is a lot, you also get a huge burrito for that. Have it in a bowl instead of a tortilla and you are looking at 410 calories.

and I can never finish their burritos so it's two meals for me=350 per meal
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    Supposed to consume 1738 a day.......
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm Chipotle is so delicious.

Well obviously if you get the burrito and fill it with every single thing it's going to come out to 1000 calories. I usually get a veggie burrito bowl or steak salad, and it's not so bad. Some time I split it up and eat half of it at lunch and the other half later in the day. :) They're too big to eat all at once anyways.

Mmmm... that sounds so good. Maybe I'll go get Chipotle today for lunch.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    mcdonald's was a major investor, but never owned it. (i love me my chipotle - it started here in my state! weee!)

just watch what you put in your mouth ... sour cream and guac and cheese - yeah, adds up. everything can be "bad" when you eat a pound of it.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I don't think Chipotle is all that bad. There are worse choices. I sometimes get a burrito bowl for lunch, at about 550 calories. As mentioned before, the sodium is high, but I try to take that into consideration beforehand.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I don't think Chipotle is all that bad. There are worse choices. I sometimes get a burrito bowl for lunch, at about 550 calories. As mentioned before, the sodium is high, but I try to take that into consideration beforehand.

Burrito bowl rocks!
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm going to to Chipotle for lunch :) but now I'm gonna have to watch what I put in the burrito bowl a little closer :(
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you get a burrito bowl with brown rice, veg, salsa and NO sour cream, cheese OR guacamole it's only like 470 calories or something like that....had one last week it was great. don't get the chips and guac...they're like 720 cals.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    If only they didn't put cilantro in errythang...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    This makes me miss NA_Willie and his perpetual bleeding butt from his Chipotle consumption.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    hmmmm...I just finished a delicious bol from Chipotle and it was only 490 calories...it tastes just as good without all the "bad" stuff. No need to "beware"...just be smart.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Chipotle. I usually go there and get a burrito bowl with just this....chicken, steak, tomatillo salsa, pico de gallo, some lettuce and cheese. It's about 500 calories and about 72g of protein. It's an awesome way to pump up that protein macro. :bigsmile:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This makes me miss NA_Willie and his perpetual bleeding butt from his Chipotle consumption.

I second this.