Protein Powder revisited

Options
I did use the search function and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Is it possible to find a cheap, fairly healthy (not a lot of additives) protein powder to try out? What flavor would you recommend that won't get old quickly if I am using it once per day? I was thinking about possibly starting my day with it and mixing it with my coffee in a blender, but I don't know if it would be funky that way or not. Are the unflavored ones really as versatile as they seem? I could add it to a variety of things and it wouldn't make the texture funny?

Thank you in advance, I haven't supplemented with pp in years. I really think it would help me not be so hungry all the time. I've been royally screwing up with my eating lately!

Replies

• Tanners2202
    Options
    Hey,I currently use precision engineered whey protein in chocolate or strawberry,tastes great,fills you up if you have skimmed or semi-slimmed milk with it,only 100 cals a scoop then what your milk is,but you must include it in your daily calorie intake. Half price at holland and barrett at the mo,£16.99. Cheap enough to give it a go and see what you think :)
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    Theres actually quite a few amazing cheap protein powders! Recently I was just searching myself. the way you tell if it has additives is the calories. for 40-50g of protein it should be like 120 calories per scoop. I get the 100% Whey isolate protein from london drugs for 19.99$
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can look on the label too. So for instance I use Kaizan protein powder I get at Costco for 44 dollars for 5 pounds of the stuff. There is 35g protein per 40g scoop leaving 1 carb, .5g sugar and a bunch of vitamins.
    I've seen other powders cheaper but have 20g protein per 40g scoop leaving sugars, carbs and other stuff. I guess it all depends on what you want. I prefer the brand I posted because I can get complex carbs and healthy sugars elsewhere.
    This one is chocolate and tastes great with water but I mix with fat free milk. I have a glass before bed so I don't crave at night and I don't have hunger pains in the morning.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have Body Fortress Chocolate. It has 140 cals per scoop and 25g of protein. The taste isn't the greatest if mixed with water but tastes pretty good mixed with milk. I have also done the mix with coffee and it was pretty good! Added more milk though.

I got mine for about $20 at Walmart in Canada... it was on sale so I figured I'd give it a try and loved it. Great and a cheaper price.

One thing I love with protein powders and mixes it up a bit so you aren't drinking the same thing everyday is to blend it with milk and a bit of coffee and freeze it. It's my ice cream substitute.