Looking for Tips for a sugar junkie

Options
I have been on here for 3 days, I luurve it but have realised that my sugar intake is outta control ! everything has sugar :( I have quit drinking 2L of soda a day and replaced it with water :( I love sugar :( im not sure how to cut down.... I am a single mom of three and "quick things" are always full of crap. I love fruit but am really weird about textures so cannot eat most fruit as is.... hellppp !!! I am completley on track with carbs, calories and fat its just the sugar so far thats gettin me .... advice ?? help ??? do i just need to suck it up ?

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First off, great job on quitting soda and drinking more water! That's a BIG step, especially for sugar junkies like us :]

What do you eat that has sugar in it? I have slowly cut out almost all of my sugar, even "natural" sugars. I only really eat sugar in my jam for breakfast or the occasional piece of fruit. I never drink my calories, aka no juice or sweetened drinks, and if I need a sweetener I use splenda.
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well first off .. coffee my cup is about 12 oz and i add 6teasp of white sugar and 4tblspoons of french vanilla creamer ..... i dont drink it every day and usually only one cup a day ... i plan to switch to fat free creamer and a friend is going to give me some stevia to try ..... as for snacks i love milk chocolate and icecream ( i know exactly why i weigh the amount i do) .... if i go to grab a quick snack its usually a granola bar /.... and not the decent kind either between thoose and everyday foods ( milk, yogurt, carrots, corn bla bla bla) im always over usually by atleast 15g
  • Liz71687
    Liz71687 Posts: 5
    Options
    For the ice cream try switching to forzen yoghurt and keep it in mederation and for milk chocolate try freezing them and only take one out a day that way you have to wait for it to thaw out and maybe by then you wouldnt be craving it anymore! I am not a huge sugar eater, but I do have cravings sometimes and when I do I usually just got for a little chocolate milk which isn't too bad for you!
  • zebramama84
    Options
    I LOVE forzen yogurt how did i not think of that !! ty soo much !! i guess the hardest part is that i live across the convenience store ... it soooo hard not to pop across the street and grab somthing ( wich wouldnt be too bad is it didnt turn into a full range of sugar ridden guilt)
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    If you are a sugar junkie, honestly, you just need to stay away from sugar for a while and let your taste buds and your system reset. If you really need something have a piece of dark chocolate 70%or higher at the end of the day. it gives you something to look forward to and will keep you calories and sugar in check.
  • zebramama84
    Options
    I think your right, i tend to do things to the extremes ..... thats kinda why i wanna get it under control but things like milk i dontthink i can cut out
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Your taste buds and habits WILL change, there is nothing you can't cut out! Instead of milk try almond or coconut milk-more calcium, less sugar, and pretty good.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    milk is fine. you could also look at plant based milks like almond or coconut milk.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find I usually go over by about double, it is always from fruit though. I do not add sugar to anything. I do use the occasional stevia. for sweet tooth items I usually opt for the "sugar free" kind!
  • zebramama84
    Options
    I think my buggest frustration is that im not eating chocolate or things i would label intentionally sugarry ( except my coffee) and my sugar is still rated too high :( I love being able to track everything so that i know what to keep an eye on ...... but the sugars gettin me
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am a sugaraholic. Not even exaggerating.
    Stress sets me off and my body has the cravings of a rabid zombie.
    I have found that NOT eating sugar for a week or two makes my desire for it decrease.
    I used to do what you do with coffee, now I put a splash of skim milk and that's it.
    6tsp of sugar in your coffee is too much, diet or not.
    However, I LOVE coffee and the taste of coffee so I enjoy it almost black.
    If you enjoy tons of sugar in your coffee and that's just the way it's going to be, get some truvia, that should be plenty for you. And tomorrow with your coffee, put 3tsp in instead of 6, start retraining your mouth that it's still good.

If you stop eating the milk chocolate your body will no longer crave it.
    One thing I had to remind myself is that if I don't eat it, I wont die.
    Your body does not depend on chocolate (despite what you or I might think, haha!).

Ice cream. I eat it like it's never going to be made again.
    Frozen yogurt might sound like it's better but really if you look it's almost the same amount of calories for the same serving size.
    If I want ice cream I eat Skinny Cow ice cream.
    It's about 150cals for a nice little bit or a big ice cream cone.
    But again, same thing, make it a wonderful treat and realize that you do not need it.

I've lost 10lbs in 30 days by just keeping my cravings in check.
    I went from eating 2-3 candy bars and 1 pint of ice cream a day to about 1 skinny cow cone every other day and I recently bought some Reese's eggs at 170cals an egg and I relish every single bite whenever I have one.

Just keep your head in the game, realize what your goal is and understand that if we keep eating the way we ate, we will never get to where we want to go.
  • JenS_1678
    JenS_1678 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm in the same place as you- I've recently stopped drinking soda and the lack of sugar is making my cravings go crazy. I know it helps for me to have that little bit of sweet- like a granola bar with chocolate chips rather than a whole brownie or a candy bar. I try to include sugar in small increments, and sometimes I'll eat super well so that for a snack I can have a sweet. I find that as long as I can relearn moderation, I do okay. I just can't have sweets all day like I used to.
  • zebramama84
    Options
    i have never liked black coffe but i am going to try stevia tomorrow ! as much as i love chocolate and ice cream but i just thought about it and i eat it to consume it, i dont relish it or even enjoy it immensley, its not often i can say i really enjoy food but just consume it, maybe thats why im not meeting my reccomended calories either..... hmmm off to digest that ( sorry bad pun intended)
  • giantsfaninvt
    giantsfaninvt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are a sugar junkie, honestly, you just need to stay away from sugar for a while and let your taste buds and your system reset. If you really need something have a piece of dark chocolate 70%or higher at the end of the day. it gives you something to look forward to and will keep you calories and sugar in check.

This is what worked for me. I even stopped putting sweetener of any kind in my coffee, just a little half and half. After a few months, I'm able to have an occasional chocolate and not push my sweet tooth into overdrive.
  • ELMom
    ELMom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love sugar also but have cut back. I use Truvia in my coffee, it really is the best stevia sweetener I've found! I love fruit in a smoothie which gives it that added sweetness and makes it seem like a treat. I have switched over to fruit sweetened yogurt and now I really don't miss the sugar. I made some Choc cupcakes a few days ago and have had three since then but after I eat one I feel totally gross so I told my husband he could eat them all! I never would have done that in the past.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think it all basically comes down to, how bad do you want it?
    I can easily go buy a bag of cookies and chow down but that wont help me get to where I want to be.

Eat for the body you want, not for the one that you have.