Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH protein?

Options
llaurenmarie
llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
Sometimes I go over but are there any health effects?

Replies

• twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good question because I am always over. I hope you get a answer....
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney troubles. NO.

This question is being asked on a daily basis. Use the search function.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to eat too much protein. It's nearly impossible to do so though. MFP estimates protein needs very, very low.

You didn't post how much you were eating, and you are asking for nutrition feedback with a private food diary so...

I wouldn't be concerned too much, even if you are eating as much as 1gram/lb of body.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The MFP settings for protein are really low. You can eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight and be just fine, so going over a little bit isn't a big deal. I aim for 30% of my calories from protein and find it keeps me more full throughout the day.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Would love to know this as well!
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    #1, you really should evaluate how much your getting. For weight loss, the standard MFP values (%) is actually low. You should be getting at least 20% if not 25-30% of your calories from protein every day...

Protein is the only nutrient that provides muscle building amino acids, your body can't manufacture some of them, it has to consume them.

So, be happy if your getting protein over carbs because your providing your body what it needs to rebuild and sustain your muscle mass so that you keep your BMR running at a rate you can BURN...

If you lift weights, a small 'shake' of whey protein, or even just a glass of chocolate milk will help FUEL your muscles and provide recovery more quickly. Which will help your energy and build muscles.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to eat too much protein. It's nearly impossible to do so though. MFP estimates protein needs very, very low.

You didn't post how much you were eating, and you are asking for nutrition feedback with a private food diary so...

I wouldn't be concerned too much, even if you are eating as much as 1gram/lb of body.
    I highly doubt she is eating too much. I would bet my life she is not eating at 1g per pd (which she should be).

Protein and Fats are the two most important macro-nutrients.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Unless you have impaired kidney function, then no.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    If youre poop is black you prob eating too much
  • AntWrig
    Options
    #1, you really should evaluate how much your getting. For weight loss, the standard MFP values (%) is actually low. You should be getting at least 20% if not 25-30% of your calories from protein every day...

Protein is the only nutrient that provides muscle building amino acids, your body can't manufacture some of them, it has to consume them.

So, be happy if your getting protein over carbs because your providing your body what it needs to rebuild and sustain your muscle mass so that you keep your BMR running at a rate you can BURN...

If you lift weights, a small 'shake' of whey protein, or even just a glass of chocolate milk will help FUEL your muscles and provide recovery more quickly. Which will help your energy and build muscles.
    Stop using %'s.

20% of protien at 1500 calories is much different than 3000 calories. Go with 1 to 1.2g per lb of weight, or use 1g per lb of lean body mass. If you know your bodyfat %.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go over but are there any health effects?

There is such a thing, but it would be pretty hard to do. Don't worry.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    [/quote

If too lazy to read this article the answer is yes it is damaging to your kidneys and linked to a cancer risk.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Going a little over is nothing to worry about. The RDA recommends 0.36 g protein for every lb of body weight. But if you're trying to grow muscle it's completely safe (and advisable) to eat between 0.7-2.5g protein for every lb of lean body weight. In the end you have to listen to your body. You need to eat enough to feel good and be healthy and recover. But if you are weak, dizzy, have bad breath, and have problems with dehydration or insane thirst where you're consuming absurd amounts of water, you need to back off the protein- esp animal protein.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you work out regularly, you'll probably need more protein than MFP gives you anyway! I aim for at least 90 grams a day, as per my doctor's orders. She's a big supporter of a high protein, low fat, low sugar, low starch diet. If I'm hungry, she's told me to eat more protein! LOL. So I guess it's not a huge issue unless you have a medical condition that says you shouldn't!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

If too lazy to read this article the answer is yes it is damaging to your kidneys and linked to a cancer risk.

Yeah no.

All of the literature that demonstrates any problem with a high protein diet was done with a population of people who already have renal impairment. Of course it will be a problem for them. There's no evidence of it being harmful to anyone who is healthy. Regardless, it's exceedingly difficult to eat that much protein anyways.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    And do you know how much of even the highest protein foods (whey, eggs, etc) you would have to eat to eat enough to damage your kidneys? At 1600 calories I'm finding it impossible to even meet the recommended amount for building muscle....
  • odin0329
    odin0329 Posts: 1
    Options
    As a personal trainer, and someone who does meal planning for people, I get asked that question all the time. Unless someone has a gun to your head, you probably won't ever consume too much protein. It's goes against most people's appetites and stomach space to do so. The real question to ask is "Am I eating too many simple carbs?"
  • AntWrig
    Options
    And do you know how much of even the highest protein foods (whey, eggs, etc) you would have to eat to eat enough to damage your kidneys? At 1600 calories I'm finding it impossible to even meet the recommended amount for building muscle....
    For starters no male should be consuming 1600 calories even during a cut.

Protein at 1g per pound of lbm.
  • gashinshotan
    Options
    Blah I'm short 5' 3" and 18-20% BF - I'm not gonna wait a year to get cut. I got my endurance and running speed up rapidly on a net 1220 calorie diet (went from running 1 mile to 10 miles in a month, and from 11 min miles to 6 min miles in two months while losing 29 lbs).... so I doubt 1600 isn't enough...
    For starters no male should be consuming 1600 calories even during a cut.

Protein at 1g per pound of lbm.