exercise programs for somebody with a bad back

Options
Hi all,
I have had lower back issues for about ten years now and I can't do any jumping or jog on hard surfaces. After looking at P90X and Insanity I see they both have plyometrics disks that seem to be all jumping. Is there another series out there that doesn't rely on jumping? Or is there even just a two-three disk set that effectively does core only? I've lost about 20lbs now but it has been all in my face/arms/legs. I seemingly look worse in the mirror now as my torso is still just as thick :-/

Replies

• scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    /bump
  • jjarrettc
    jjarrettc Posts: 14
    Options
    I have had three back surgeries, all fusions and I am just walking about 2 to 3 miles a day. It's working for me without any back pain. Sometimes I take Celebrex (Rx) but most the time not. I realize walking is not going to build muscle like a workout at a gym would but it is working for me.

Best of luck to you.

John
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I presume you've been to an exercise physiologist or similar to make sure that theres not anything you can do I help your back?
    I know some people have chronic issues that can't be helped, but there are way too many who have problems that CAN be helped. I've had sciatica from tight hamstrings and solved the problem with rest and stretching, my back is fine now.
    Depending on the kind of injury you have you might be ok on a cross trainer or undertaking longer periods of endurance style exercise with low impact like a walking program?
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have had lower back issues for about ten years now and I can't do any jumping or jog on hard surfaces. After looking at P90X and Insanity I see they both have plyometrics disks that seem to be all jumping. Is there another series out there that doesn't rely on jumping? Or is there even just a two-three disk set that effectively does core only? I've lost about 20lbs now but it has been all in my face/arms/legs. I seemingly look worse in the mirror now as my torso is still just as thick :-/

Hey! Talk to/add: Beautyfrompain

She has back problems as well but has been doing great as far as workouts and weight-loss go... perhaps she can help you!
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I presume you've been to an exercise physiologist or similar to make sure that theres not anything you can do I help your back?
    I know some people have chronic issues that can't be helped, but there are way too many who have problems that CAN be helped. I've had sciatica from tight hamstrings and solved the problem with rest and stretching, my back is fine now.
    Depending on the kind of injury you have you might be ok on a cross trainer or undertaking longer periods of endurance style exercise with low impact like a walking program?

I've never heard of an exercise physiologist, I'll look one up later today. I have localized DDD in my L4 vertebra and most all my pain stems from the swollen disk between the L4 and L5 vertebras. My back has been ok for the better part of the last 5 years. It took me the first 5 years of on-my-own methods to see what inflames my back and what doesn't. Jumping is a 100% guarantee to hurt me, so is running on a hard surface.
    I do row and use an elliptical machine right now but they don't seem to work my core muscles and that is what I'd like to target. The only infomercials I see are P90x/Insanity (too much jumping), and Brazillian Butt Lift (yeah, I'm a dude and I'll pass) I've never actually seen a Jillian Michaels infomercial so I don't know what her program is about.
    I'm looking for a program that focuses on core, I am happy with the strength in my arms, neck, and legs.
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    3.5 years ago i was hit by a semi, not once but 3 times, the 4th hit was into a concrete barrier. major back/neck injuries. it's been a long road. for me walking on a treadmill is the safest considering the injuries sustained. or just walking in general. good luck on your journey